Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a great way to teach Endeavor. Four easy steps.

1. First, explain the theme and the ways to get victory points (moving your cubes up the track, controlling colonies, controlling trade routes, and points on cards/buildings/etc). (Sorry I don't tend to use the technical terms for this stuff so I may be saying them wrong.)

2. Explain that everyone gets one new building each round, so the game always lasts exactly seven rounds.

3. Next, play two "sample" rounds that won't count, an example of the first two rounds of the game. Have people take different buildings and different actions (and make sure someone grabs a blue token at some point too) and just explain all that stuff as you go along, from how to get buildings to getting new workers, the kinds of actions, etc. You can even wait until round two to explain getting your workers back in detail. These two sample rounds should last about 5 minutes total and every game rule will be explained in this time. (You will have to explain the abolition of slavery, this is the only rule that won't come up naturally.)

4. Reset the game and play!

I just had great success with this technique tonight. I am a very abstract thinker and like to explain and have the rules explained to me completely before play begins. Some people need to "jump in" to learn. Because of the way Endeavor is set up, in this case 2 sample rounds meets both kind of learner's needs. For one thing, since the earlier rounds of the game are shorter but still do all the actions, you can "jump in" but it won't take long to get to all the rules explained. It sets back up quick so those sample rounds don't penalize anyone for not knowing the rules. And also just the order things happen works very well in explaining, as just about everything builds on what happens just before it.

You're welcome! ;) I really like this game, I wish it didn't cost so much as an out of print game! I was playing at CABS here in Columbus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a crying shame that this game is out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
demiurge wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demiurge wrote:

I was amazed to find one recently in a games shop in Birmingham. I grabbed it from the shelf immediately, and on turning round saw a gleaming copy of Puerto Rico Anniversary edition on the table behind me. You could almost hear my credit card groan....

Naturally opportunities like this cannot be passed up and both now adorn my shelves. Endeavor looks great - hope to play it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Gray
New Zealand
Upper Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor is designed so that the first 2-3 rounds actually teach you the game.

With new players you could probably just keep playing after your two rounds teaching and it wouldn't make much difference. I'm not going to say that the first 2-3 rounds don't matter because experienced players can definitely take advantage of them

The fact that the 7 buildings you get form your variable action strategy, and the first 2-3 are the ones you have the longest, so strategic players will like to make the most of those first choices.

But the game is essentially a tactical battle. So while the strategy is in what buildings you want, where you might want to be on the board and what cards you might want, most of these strategies can win and your tactical choices through the game are what separates the winners.

The first two rounds are pretty quick so this teaching method is probably faster than explaining all the rules. You might need to force someone to take a Workshop/Barracks though to get the attack rules in as well as connections via attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.