Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Phase 4: Building rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have come across this question each time our group plays Power Grid.

Can you both start a network and add cities to it in the same turn? The rules say "In this phase, the players start or add cities to their networks on the map." p.4

What is the general consensus on here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, assuming you starting your initial network. In other words you can't have more than one network (unless you are playing one of the expansion maps which allows multiple).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The way your question sounds ... can you build more than one city in one turn? Yes, absolutely. I've seen people open the game building 3 cities. Essentially building those 3 cities IS starting the network. They're just starting their network with 3 cities as opposed to my poor %#@ who can only afford 1 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"starting a network" simply means building your first city. You can build as many cities as you want and can afford in a turn.

I recommend Power Grid FAQ, which answers this and many other frequently asked questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may build more than 1 on your first build.

I believe it's merely to point out that you are not required to build any cities on the first turn (or the second for that matter) and you will simply start your network on the first turn in which you choose to build cities (which is almost always the first turn of the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are correct I was specifically asking about placing more then one city the first time you start a network.

Of course in subsequent turns you can build to your heart's desire, or at least your funds.

Also I looked at the FAQ before I posted just felt I would see if anyone had other thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SchafferFX wrote:
Can you both start a network and add cities to it in the same turn? The rules say "In this phase, the players start or add cities to their networks on the map." p.4

Strictly speaking, the word "or" means that you can do any one or both things. If it was meant to say you must choose only one thing, the wording "either... or" or some other construction would have been used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juliusan wrote:
SchafferFX wrote:

Strictly speaking, the word "or" means that you can do any one or both things. If it was meant to say you must choose only one thing, the wording "either... or" or some other construction would have been used.

As a mathematician, I agree, but for about 99% of people, it's usually more determined by context (e.g. the answer to "Do you want to go outside or stay indoors?" is always "yes" but for some reason, people get annoyed when I give that as an answer.)

Oh and to answer the question, yes, you can place your starting city and build from it on turn 1 (or 2 (or 3...))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.