Subject: Gaines Mill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I am missing some tiles, but we did not have enough river tiles to complete the river the right way. Also, since all the houses were on the river tiles, we had to pretend a rough terrain tile was the McGhee House. Other than that, things were just fine. Except for getting destroyed by a student.

During our last day of the semester at school, our principal scheduled a board game time for those who were not interested in playing in the gym while the Christmas treats were getting set up (yes, a high school). Naturally, I took the opportunity to play Battle Cry since we only had about an hour. This was the same student against whom I played by flashlight in my previous Battle Cry session, as well as the same guy who played Babylon in our Civilization game in my other session report over there. Flipping through the book, we quickly decided on Gaines Mill just to do something different. This is how I found out I either don't have all the tiles anymore or the game did not come quite as prepared as it should have. Jared (the student) prefers playing as the Confederates, so I got to navigate the river and hills while he hid out in the trees. Still, it was good fun.

The first several turns were mostly maneuvering, as can be imagined from the terrain - very little combat for a while. In my own defense, I was plagued toward the middle of the game with a handful of mostly Left Flank cards, by which time I had almost no units left in the Left Flank. This made it somewhat difficult to mount any significant attack, coupled with my impressive ability to roll retreat flags to help my opponent hide further in the trees. I'm thinking I should start practicing rolling dice - statistics and probabilities aside.

Jared left his Left Flank alone for most of the game, since I couldn't do much with my Right Flank either. He just kept his guys safely in the trees and only came creeping around the river at the very end of the game. I was hesitant to get to the creek, since I already lost battle die with his units hiding in the trees, but eventually I ran out of cards to do much with, and my one cavalry unit did very little good for me. Jared took an early lead by destroying my Center Flank artillery rather quickly. He drew a lot of Leadership and Forced March cards, allowing his Center units to quickly advance. Again, my hesitancy to enter the creek is possibly a key cause in my defeat - blaming the cards is poor sportsmanship.

Eventually, Jared's Right Flank was up against the creek and dominating the trees, while my waning infantry fired futilely from the hills. Sykes spent most of the game staring across the creek, as I had only about 3 Center Flank/Combined Attack cards the whole game. Soon enough, Jared was up 5 flags to 1, and things were not looking good. I did get a Hit and Run for my cavalry to make one valiant strike (after losing 2 of their units), but the trees slowed them down and my impressive ability to roll "artillery" die-faces when attacking anything but artillery reared up and sent the cavalry flying back to the hill, only to be destroyed a turn or two later. With time running out, I played a reinforcement card and rolled mostly crossed sabres. We weren't sure if that was good or bad, and we didn't have much time left to play, so we assumed it meant no reinforcements, so I only got one more infantry for my dying Left Flank.

Jared played a few more maneuvering cards on his Left Flank, while I was finally able to get my Center in action. Neither of my Sharpshooter attempts did any good. The comeback almost got started, as a few bombardments got me two of his flags, but then he quickly retaliated with a Center Assault and that was that. 6-3 final score, just in time, as the rest of the school was coming in for the end-of-the-semester wrap-up. It was another fun session, despite the somewhat embarrassing drubbing. Any time we can use school hours to get in a good game is definitely a good day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario has a mistake listed in the setup.So you might not be missing a piece.

The Gaines Mill battle has an error.
--The waterway hex, top row, right side of the battle map (on the union left flank), should be a woods hex, not a waterway hex, and the hex just below should have a waterway hex curving off the edge of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rush
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.