Subject: Painted Castle Ravenloft minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daryl
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first attempt at miniature painting; overall I'm pretty happy with how they came out. A big thanks to others who have posted pictures on BGG. I drew a lot of inspiration from many of the existing images.

Zombies

Wolves (particularly happy with the faces on these)

Skeletons (one of the very first sets painted)

Rat Swarms (think I went a bit overboard with color variety on these)

Ghouls

Kobolds

Spiders

Wraiths

Gargoyles (so easy to get a great look on these with basic drybrushing)

Flaming Skeletons (really happy with these)

Flesh Golem (probably my favorite; he's big enough I was able to get some good detail)

Zombie Dragon

Dracoliche

Villains

Heroes (not too happy with these; the faces were just too small to get the proper detail)

The basic techniques I used throughout were:
1) Wash minis with warm soap and water to remove any release agent residue.
2) Spray with a white primer (I used Rustoleum).
3) Paint in base colors with Reaper paints...I found the rustoleum primer didn't really provide a great surface to work with, so the base coats took some time and care.
4) Apply a wash of either black, brown or flesh color.
5) Touch up highlights, either with drybrushing, or sometimes simply some thinned out paint.
6) Seal with a UV gloss spray, then a matte spray, to remove some of the shine.

Comments/suggestions welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, your first time? They look pretty good to me. Nice job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amazingly good for a first attempt.
I would have done the rats like that, but I don't have the patience to switch paints that many times on one mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments.

Bagherra wrote:
amazingly good for a first attempt.
I would have done the rats like that, but I don't have the patience to switch paints that many times on one mini.

It wasn't too bad, just kept mixing a handful of colors on my palette and made it up as I went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaddyD wrote:
Rat Swarms (think I went a bit overboard with color variety on these)

I think they look great. One of the things that really helps with this monster is to emphasize that there are a LOT of rats. And your multicolor scheme does that better than I would have thought possible. I really like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome paint jobs... the rat swarm looks like a pig-pile of tribbles with all of those colors, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are first time paint jobs?!?!

I predict a Golden Daemon in your future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
Awesome paint jobs... the rat swarm looks like a pig-pile of tribbles with all of those colors, however.

LOL, you're totally right. I knew they looked oddly familiar when I was taking the photos, but I couldn't place it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Godinho
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great paint job, really inspirational especially for me as I am thinking about getting this game and also thinking of painting figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Buu
United States
Sylmar
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Amazing work. There's lots of talented artists on this board and I am humbled at every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, amazing work! Those are some really nicely painted minis.

I just started dabbling in painting miniatures myself (the minis from Ghost Stories and Flash Point: Fire Rescue being my first victims) and none of mine's turned out nearly as well as yours.

I was thinking of doing Ravenloft next and I think I might have to let myself be inspired by some of your color scheme choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tengblad wrote:
I was thinking of doing Ravenloft next and I think I might have to let myself be inspired by some of your color scheme choice.

Browsing through all the wonderful paint jobs others have already posted here is exactly what got me motivated to paint mine as well, so glad to keep passing on the torch. cool

I also got in on the Reaper Bones Kickstarter, and figured I better get this stuff figured out before all of those minis arrive! I've lurked over on the Reaper Miniature forums, and there is a wealth of wonderful tips and advice there for new painters, plus a lot of extremely talented painters to draw inspiration from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p
msg tools
I think these look great, especially for first time. My laziness and lack of knowledge prevent me from having a set like this...anyone know where I could possibly buy one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a recent convert to painting too. My first set (still ongoing) is Flying Frog's Fortune and Glory. I admit to being a bit intimidated at tackling non-human figures: what color is zombie flesh? What type of green is an orc?

The figures you painted Daryl are really good. I like the contrasting colors and bright look of the figures. I enjoyed the zombies, ghouls, and basic skeletons. It was a good scheme painting the rats different colors to make them stand out.

MarioP you can learn to paint too if you have a steady hand and a good pair of reading glasses. I picked it up in a few hours of reading forum posts and looking at people's finished miniatures. The two key techniques are inking for folds in clothing and dry-brushing. One other thing people don't mention is really tiny brushes. If I don't have one handy I'll trim hair off a larger brush until I only have 2-3 painting hairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mario,you can replace the figures by finding them on ebay...D&D has pre-painted minis that are the same ones that we use.

This video shows you what they are and the name of the mini.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TUWbtTrjsY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I painted mine, too, and with maybe just a couple of exceptions, yours came out better than mine. I especially like how your wolves came out! Nice job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amazing!

what a difference!

i painted some of my battlelore mini's and while i did find it to be very zen, it was quite an under taking.

i've yet to find a game i've liked/played enough that warranted painting the figures.

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came across this, amazing work -- how much time did it take you? I have been painting for almost 2 years now and it would take me a lot of effort to match that quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I just came across this, amazing work -- how much time did it take you? I have been painting for almost 2 years now and it would take me a lot of effort to match that quality.

Thanks!

Not sure how to quantify how long it took me. I worked on them off and on an hour or two at a time over a period of a month or two. Some were quite fast (the spiders and Dracoliche for instance), others took a lot longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
wow!!! can i pay u to paint mines?? lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.