Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Re: 2nd batch (reprint?) of Caylus delayed now until Febuary
I can't answer your question precisely.

Each distributor will receive some coins boards and will decide how to give them to the customers.

For France, customers will have to send a stamped enveloppe with their address on it and they will receive the new coins. I think it will be the same for every country, but it's just a guess.

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karis wrote:
Each distributor will receive some coins boards and will decide how to give them to the customers.

I bought Caylus from an online shop in Germany. How should i know when they will have the coins available? What if they sold more games and some replacement coins aren't enough for all customers?

I think it would be better if Ystari themselves could handle the distribution of replacement coins (in Europe at least).

My guess is that many people will end up without replacement coins...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Newell
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
On a side note... I won't be able to get the replacement coins as the game was a gift and my wife would kill me if I broke etiquette to ask where the giver bought the game. Plus, I have no receipt, obviously. I'd love to have the new coins, but the changes to the tiles and clarification in the rules don't bother me in the least. I'm glad you guys are doing them, I think they're good changes, but all they do is help people learn the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Ovid
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There is some very emotive language flying about claiming that 1st edition buyers are being 'punished' and missing out. Well calm guys. Owners of the first edition have a fully functioning game which does what it says on the tin.

TIN?? My Caylus didn't come in any fancy tin! All I got was a cardboard box! And I had to tear plastic shrink-wrap off it just to get inside!

I demand a refund! I want a new Caylus in this fancy tin box I've been hearing about, and I want it to include real deniers, not these cheap play money things! Come across, you thieves!

Seriously, people: chill. First thing I did was bag up the cheap plastic tiddly winks and toss them back into the box. My gang uses poker chips when we play, just as we do with Traders Of Genoa, Princes Of Florence, Puerto Rico, and a dozen other games that give you flimsy paper money or small, hard-to-grab counters. Poker chips are far easier to pick up for us carpal tunnel victims, far easier to see in games where money is open information, and far more annoying to your opponents while you sit there clicking your chips together in order to hurry their turns along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The clicking. Can't forget the clicking. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeanie H
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I find pennies and nickles work just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find the tiddlywink money works just fine. Much sturdier than pieces of card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Octavian wrote:
I think it's a bit much to term it punishment.

Yes, but if the second printing is always better than the first, then gamers will start to wait for the second, making the first version sell insufficient quantities to warrant a second. It's a bad precedent.

I'd say taking a reprint as an opportunity to make positive changes is an EXCELLENT precedent. Runebound and Ticket to Ride are other good examples of this. The appearance of the 2nd printings did not at all diminish my enjoyment of my 1st editions. I still have my 1st ed TtR. I was very glad to have the opportunity to buy the new Runebound, however, as while I really liked the 1st ed, the improvements in the 2nd edition made it worth it to me to buy it again.

Scaring publishers from improving their product whenever possible is the bad precedent, IMO. If you've suddenly become dissatisfied with your edition of Caylus, you can sell it on eBay right now while it's unavailable and pick up the new one when it arrives. You'll likely make a profit to boot (last one sold for $63). I'd say giving the publisher who's trying to improve their product a customer service headache is not the answer, as you may get what you wish for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
GeoMan wrote:
I think it would be better if Ystari themselves could handle the distribution of replacement coins (in Europe at least).

My guess is that many people will end up without replacement coins...

We produced a lot of replacement coins boards and i think that should be enough for everybody (if people are disciplined and don't ask for the boards 10 times). I'm not sure every customer will ask for a replacement. Anyway, we won't ask for a proof of purchase.

Unfortunately it's impossible to handle the distribution for the whole europe, mainly because it would be really difficult to manage for Ystari (we can't send enveloppes all day long).

Furthermore, we don't want to ask money in exchange for the tiles and it would be a problem for the stamps (i guess it's difficult to find french stamps in beautiful Greece).

I'm aware there will be some difficulties for some customers, but we'll probably find a solution for them. I guess US customers can ask for a replacement board to RGG even if they bought the game in Europe.

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer the Caylus Denier Chart (just use a house of each color) to keep track of income. Much faster than playing with 11.5g poker chips.
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=14474

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are we talking february 1st, or february 28th here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and on a similar note - are we talking english edition reprint, or german one also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
All languages (English, french, german, dutch, finnish, swedish, italian)...

And it's for the beginning of february (the games are almost ready now).

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thoughthammer says March now. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apkelly wrote:
Thoughthammer says March now. Is this right?

Since we'll have the game next week or the week after in Europe, March will probably be the release date for Rio Grande in the US (a 3-weeks delivery no?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
The game is now produced.

Some copies of the new edition will be demonstrated at the Nuernberg fair.

I really don't know what will be the delivery time for the USA. Everything depends on the ship's captain now

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does 'produced' mean that if I push my local shop into trying to order some copies (Poland/Europe) now it should succeed? or should i wait a little longer if i want to be sure they won't come back with "it's not available yet, why'd you bother us"?
if answer is wait i have a big request for information here when will this moment be, please.

thanks in advance,
mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughthammer is now listing Caylus for March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dturnerfish wrote:
Thoughthammer is now listing Caylus for March.

Better to be safe than sorry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Rio Grande Games is now saying March as well. (((((

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
badge
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the 2nd edition come with the new jeweler tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the replacement coins sent to German retailers? Please let us know so we can ask for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I think they will be there on monday.

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kelley
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
When & how can you request the updated coins in the U.S. and how can first edition owners get a copy of the jeweler tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karis Shem
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Jay (Rio Grande) is preparing something for the owners of the first edition.
First, he needs to receive the games (they're on their way now). Then he will probably make an announcement.

Regards,
Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.