Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brock Poulsen
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other night the wives were having a crafting get-together, so I had my friend Sam over to take a crack at the cooperative world of Mice & Mystics. I've played several unsuccessful solo games, unsuccessful mostly due to rules errors. I tend to just dive into games that are new to me, and learn as I go. This often means I miss rules that could have worked in my favor. Here are a few rules I've been trying to keep in mind in recent plays:

-Filch's (or any other mouse’s) Dagger causes a minion whose initiative card is lower on the track than his to roll one fewer action die when defending.

-Filch's "Pilfer" ability allows him to take a cheese anytime he defeats a minion. If the minion is a Rat, this cheese can be taken from the minion cheese wheel.

-Nez cannot be Stunned or Webbed.

-Tilda gets cheese whenever a mouse on the same tile gets poisoned, stunned, cursed, or webbed.

-A subset of the above reminder: Keep in mind the difference between being on the same tile and being on the same space. The "tile" is what you can flip over to reveal a new area. A "space" is the area in which a mouse is standing, that can hold a maximum of 4 small units.

-When a roach wounds a character, it takes cheese from that mouse, rather than dealing wounds (this is the error that cost me the game in a recent solo game; I was overrun by 5 roaches and quickly defeated blush ). Greedy roaches then add that cheese to the minion wheel.

-Achievements (and certain story events) move the “The End” Chapter End marker ahead, not the Page marker. This means they are giving you more time, not less. It's very important to take note of which marker you should be moving in any circumstance you are instructed to move a marker on the story track.

These are just a few rules I noticed I was missing or playing incorrectly, and which were causing many mouse casualties. Feel free to chip in with your own helpful rules reminders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
brockst4r wrote:
-Filch's (or any other mouse’s) Dagger allows him to take a cheese anytime he defeats a minion. If the minion is a Rat, this cheese can be taken from the minion cheese wheel.

-If Filch attacks a minion whose initiative card is lower on the track than his, that minion rolls one fewer action die.

Pretty sure you have these reversed; Filch steals the cheese, and the dagger reduces the defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Poulsen
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, pretty sure you're right!

Fixing now...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the roaches, yes they steal cheese from you instead of dealing wounds... but if you've got no cheese left, then they'll start dealing wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Regarding the roaches, yes they steal cheese from you instead of dealing wounds... but if you've got no cheese left, then they'll start dealing wounds.

Isn't that only Greedy Roaches?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Frenchville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Dice Brewing! Check out this new game by Board&Dice! B-)
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

Isn't that only Greedy Roaches?...

Both types of Roaches steal cheese from you if you have it and then deal wounds if you don't. The only difference with Greedy Roaches (and this difference is huge) is that they put the cheese that they steal on the Minion Wheel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Faron Fleury
United States
North Bangor
New York
flag msg tools
brockst4r wrote:

-Achievements (and certain story events) move the “The End” Chapter End marker ahead, not the Page marker. This means they are giving you more time, not less. It's very important to take note of which marker you should be moving in any circumstance you are instructed to move a marker on the story track.

You saved my life!!
Important distinction that I overlooked. I was wondering how I could get past chapter 3 since every time I found a piece of information I had to move the page marker ahead 1 space. One surge and game over. Great post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another:

When attacking, Maginos receives two cheese for each cheese symbol rolled on the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OneBagTravel
United States
flag msg tools
Less clutter, more culture.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about the details haha. I love Filch's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Vurst's attack can seem devastating, but remember that each attack can be resolved (and defended) separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Huntsville
AL
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
brockst4r wrote:

We had this mixed up in our first game (along with several other things). We had decided it wasn't ever worth it to take those achievements but now they are looking nice to have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.