Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Quartett» Forums » General

Subject: Tired of 'Declining" individual component (card) image submissions for this game (Geekmod) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I think that the issue of Bloat is not, for commercial reasons, going to be addressed by restricting further the avenues for game fans to contribute.

I suggest instead that the best hope in Game Galleries is the addition of a "Overview" option next to All, Game, People and Creative.
This Overview button would bring up one windowful of images that will have been selected by knowledgeable people as providing a pictorial QuickGuide to the game.
Perhaps:
Common box top, opened box, components displayed, initial starting set-ups, .... .

This option can be argued to increase the value of the site by providing; easier entry into a game, a space for those geeks who value clarity and sparseness in game images to participate in ways that they enjoy, a reduction in the unpleasantness that discussions such as the present one can generate, and yet another element to attract new users to the site. Which would all combine to make BGG even more "the go-to place" for boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
I think that the issue of Bloat is not, for commercial reasons, going to be addressed by restricting further the avenues for game fans to contribute.

I suggest instead that the best hope in Game Galleries is the addition of a "Overview" option next to All, Game, People and Creative.
This Overview button would bring up one windowful of images that will have been selected by knowledgeable people as providing a pictorial QuickGuide to the game.
Perhaps:
Common box top, opened box, components displayed, initial starting set-ups, .... .

This option can be argued to increase the value of the site by providing; easier entry into a game, a space for those geeks who value clarity and sparseness in game images to participate in ways that they enjoy, a reduction in the unpleasantness that discussions such as the present one can generate, and yet another element to attract new users to the site. Which would all combine to make BGG even more "the go-to place" for boardgames.

Apologies that my expression of weariness and discontent in this thread was unpleasant to you. Your suggestion above is certainly interesting, but obviously does nothing to address my initial concern. Oh well. No big deal. I can always choose to participate in Geekmod less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
looleypalooley wrote:
Pinook wrote:

Perhaps:

Apologies that my expression of weariness and discontent in this thread was unpleasant to you. Your suggestion above is certainly interesting, but obviously does nothing to address my initial concern. Oh well. No big deal. I can always choose to participate in Geekmod less.
Thanks Jonathan for gtting back to this thread.
Sorry to see that the Image Overview doesn't fly for you.
To me it seem a way to both; continue with an assumed position of BGG owners on prioritising fan contribution over conveying concise informational content, and to also present concise informational images.

Your more discerning and eliminative approach would be much needed in deciding which ? 15 images would form the best Overview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a frequent viewer of image galleries I find that images of several individual cards, from one version, can be very tedious. Now pictures of one card from several different versions of a game is ideal. If somebody wants to show several cards from a version of game than I would suggest photographing multiple cards at once -- the average digital camera can now handle that quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
modboy wrote:
As a frequent viewer of image galleries I find that images of several individual cards, from one version, can be very tedious. Now pictures of one card from several different versions of a game is ideal. If somebody wants to show several cards from a version of game than I would suggest photographing multiple cards at once -- the average digital camera can now handle that quite well.

Agreed. Many game galleries do this, and do it well -- for example, the Glory to Rome or Race for the Galaxy game galleries always show multiple images. And then there is Quartett, wading through a morass of individual card images. I totally get why some individuals do it this way: because the rewards system grants you more , and there are so many different versions of this game it is a potential goldmine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Director of Game Development at Cambridge Games Factory
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does have 65 versions listed on BGG 5and about as many alternate names. There are currently 56 pages of images (with 15 images each). So, there are about a dozen images per version. When put like that, this isn't as unreasonable (although it's still a bit out of hand, since it's basically impossible to browse the gallery).

Perhaps what's really needed is a better mechanism for organizing images for game entries that have huge numbers of variations (as is the case for this and other popular traditional games). Or perhaps there should be a mechanism to submit a montage of existing images, and (if approved in modding) remove the prior images. That would let users reduce bloat without removing actual content. (But admittedly, these are pretty low on my feature request list.)

edit: ...but I would definitely prefer there be 56 montages of 15 cards each, rather than 15 pages of individual images!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.