Dominion: Prosperity» Forums » Rules

Subject: King's Court and Throne Room question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
since 2011 FTW
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hi, I got a copy of the Intrigue and a copy of prosperity this holiday and I find the King's Court and Throne Room cards are difficult to understand.

After reading some posts, I understand if you KC the Bridge, you have + 3 Buy, + 3 coins, and lower the cost of all cards by 3.

But if you KC the thief action attack card, other players only reveal their top 2 cards only once, not 2cards, then 2 cards and another 2 cards.

Then, my dear friends, how do you know if everything on the action cards you play can be multipied? What effect will be tripled and what effect will not?

thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KC makes the next action card you play "play" 3 times, it doesn't just multiply the numbers on the card. The Thief would hit your opponent(s) 3 times.

In the instance of a card like Goon, you would make your opponent(s) discard down to 3 cards, +6 coins, +3 buys, but you would only be awarded 1VP token per card you buy as it is still a single Goon card in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
since 2011 FTW
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"a card like Goon" -> do you mean only the actions on the cards started with "while tis is in play" will not be played 3 times?

so it means, if I KC the action cards, such as:
trade route: I get +3 buy, +3 coins per token on trade Route mat, and trash 3 cards in total?

city: if there are 2 empty supply piles, I get +6cards, + 6 actions, +3 coins, and + 3 buy?

rabble: if the top 9 cards of another player's deck are all action cards, he has to discard them all?

pawn: do I pick 2 bonus, get the bonus, then pick 2 more bonus, get the bonus, and then pick another 2? or, I have to choose 6 bonus at once?

Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a bonus says 'while this card is in play', then that isn't something that playing the card does directly, it's just something extra that happens when it's in play. So if you play King's Court on Goons for example:
Goons reads
+$2, +1 buy.
Each other player discards down to three cards in hand
---
While this is in play, when you buy a card, +1VP.

So if you KC it:
You get +$2, you get +1 buy. Everyone else discards down to three cards in hand.
You play it again. You get +$2 (now +$4 total). You get +1 buy (now +2 buys total). Everyone else has already discarded down to three cards, but if they somehow hadn't (e.g. revealed a Moat) they'd have to do it again (e.g and reveal another moat, strictly speaking).
You play it a third time. You now have +$6, +3 buys, and everyone discards down to three cards once more, probably to no effect yet again.

Now Goons is in play, so every time you buy a card you'll get +1 VP.

With City, you'll end up getting in total 6 cards, +6 actions, +$3 and +3 buys.
With Rabble, I'm not 100% you're correct, but your example is right. You play the Rabble once, so they reveal the top three cards, and discard any actions/treasures and put back any Victory cards. Then the reveal the top three cards again, including any victory cards they'd have put back the first time, discard treasures/actions, put the rest back, then do that once more.
With Pawn, you're correct. Two choices (must be different). Then make a new set of two choices (these have to be different from each other, but could be the same as one you'd made on the first Pawn). Then a third set of two choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
since 2011 FTW
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you so much, and, did I got it right about trade route?

trade route: I get +3 buy, +3 coins per token on trade Route mat, and trash 3 cards in total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bee81122 wrote:
Thank you so much, and, did I got it right about trade route?

Yes, that is right, but I think you are still thinking about it the wrong way. Kings Court doesn't make you play a Trade Route for triple effect, it makes you play a trade route, then play a trade route again, then play a trade route a third time. Thinking about it like that makes it easier to get right.

Your example with thief in the OP is wrong btw. You DO actually hit each other player three times, revealing two cards each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the REAL fun begins when you can Kings Court a Kings Court and then play a action card that draws. Kings Court is SO broken (not literally but it's super awesome).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bee81122 wrote:
But if you KC the thief action attack card, other players only reveal their top 2 cards only once, not 2cards, then 2 cards and another 2 cards.

They do reveal 2 cards, trash a treasure of your choice (if there is one,) discard the others, reveal 2 more cards, trash another treasure of your choice (if there is one,) discard the others, reveal 2 more cards, trash another treasure of your choice (if there is one,) and discard the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, in a 4-player game King's Court/Thief resolves like this:

Play King's Court
Play Thief
-Opponent 1 reveals 2 cards, trashes a treasure you choose, if any
-Opponent 2 reveals 2 cards, trashes a treasure you choose, if any
-Opponent 3 reveals 2 cards, trashes a treasure you choose, if any
-You may gain any of the trashed cards
-Opponent 1 discards the rest of his revealed cards
-Opponent 2 discards the rest of his revealed cards
-Opponent 3 discards the rest of his revealed cards
Play Thief again
Play Thief a third time

The order of resolution could matter if players' decks contain Ill-Gotten Gains or Tunnel (and perhaps others).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Technically, in a 4-player game King's Court/Thief resolves like this:

Play King's Court
Play Thief
Play Thief again
Play Thief a third time

The order of resolution could matter if players' decks contain Ill-Gotten Gains or Tunnel (and perhaps others).

Oooh, that's nasty! (I mean Ill-Gotten Gains. The Tunnel is just karma.)
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DreadPirate Buttercup
msg tools
Thank you so much for your clarification, Martin.

I've been playing Dominion for ages but never fully understood just how to determine what is played 3 times and what isn't played 3 times. I just assumed everything on a card was played 3 times.

I do have this question though: Why isn't the Goons considered in play after the first time it's played with a King's court? If that's the case then wouldn't it be assumed there are '3' Goons in play even though you only have one copy of the card?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ladyimmortal wrote:

I've been playing Dominion for ages but never fully understood just how to determine what is played 3 times and what isn't played 3 times. I just assumed everything on a card was played 3 times.

I do have this question though: Why isn't the Goons considered in play after the first time it's played with a King's court? If that's the case then wouldn't it be assumed there are '3' Goons in play even though you only have one copy of the card?

Thanks!

You have to distinguish between 'in play' and 'played'. Even though you playedththree goons, there is still only one goons card on the table(in play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ladyimmortal wrote:

Thanks!

There is a difference between "playing" a card and the card being "in play". "Playing" a card means to do whatever is printed on the card. Being "in play" means that the card is physically in front of you in the play area. When you play Goons with a King's Court, you put the single copy of Goons "in play", but you are "playing" it three times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ladyimmortal wrote:

Thanks!
Real life analogy would probably be 1 employee doing the job of 3 people vs. 3 people each doing their job once. Then you got some state policy where you only get some benefit for each employee on the payroll [roll].

If you ever delve into Dark Ages, Procession's wording states...

"you may play an action card from your hand twice. Trash it....."

If you procession a Goons, you'll get a total of +4 coins, +2 buys, and each opponent discards down to 3 cards (twice ), but since Goons left play, you will NOT be getting any VP chips when you buy something! That blew my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
[q="ladyimmortal"]I do have this question though: Why isn't the Goons considered in play after the first time it's played with a King's court? If that's the case then wouldn't it be assumed there are '3' Goons in play even though you only have one copy of the card?

Thanks!
Real life analogy would probably be 1 employee doing the job of 3 people vs. 3 people each doing their job once. Then you got some state policy where you only get some benefit for each employee on the payroll [roll].

My brain plays the story like this.

"Yes indeed!" said King Murphy. "There is far too much unrest on the streets. Take these six royal guards and send them with youtr Goons to all areas of the kingdom, collecting fines wherever you are able to restore peace. We will be delighted to proclaim your glory according to the increasing in your holdings in the Kingdom made possible with the recompense of putting an end to unlawfulness."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.