Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » Rules

Subject: Error in Dutch translation - Urchin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned Dark Ages for some time now, but hadn't figured this quite large error before. Urchin (Straatjongen) is printed as +1 Card +1 Buy (which makes no sense when you start thinking about it), instead of the correct +1 Card +1 Action. The rulebook description is correctly translated, but just like the English description only briefly mentions this part of the card.

I've played with this card only a few times, never really liking it, using the +Buy, but from now on I'll play (correctly) with +Action and see if this makes the card any better.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There've been a few cases of mistranslations in other languages. Usually they're not that big a deal (e.g. Chancellor which just translates as saying 'you may discard your deck' - normally fine, but suddenly it breaks Tunnel), but some totally change the card (e.g. this one, another is Tournament which IIRC only lets you gain a prize if you're the only person to reveal a Province or something crazy like that).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
There've been a few cases of mistranslations in other languages. Usually they're not that big a deal (e.g. Chancellor which just translates as saying 'you may discard your deck' - normally fine, but suddenly it breaks Tunnel), but some totally change the card (e.g. this one, another is Tournament which IIRC only lets you gain a prize if you're the only person to reveal a Province or something crazy like that).
In another game,

do A, B, C, or D (aka do A or B or C or D) got translated into
do (A and B and C) or D.

... big difference right there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
There've been a few cases of mistranslations in other languages. Usually they're not that big a deal (e.g. Chancellor which just translates as saying 'you may discard your deck' - normally fine, but suddenly it breaks Tunnel), but some totally change the card (e.g. this one, another is Tournament which IIRC only lets you gain a prize if you're the only person to reveal a Province or something crazy like that).


Incorrect. The text on the card reads:

Quote:
+1 Action
Each player may reveal a Province from his hand.
If you do, discard it and gain a Prize (from the Prize pile) or a Duchy, putting it on top of your deck.
If no-one else does, +1 Card, +(1).


Whether you gain a Prize or not is not contingent on whether another player reveals a Province.

The rule book confirms this (p. 8):

Quote:
Tournament: First you get +1 Action. Then each player, including you, may reveal a Province card from his hand. Then, if you revealed a Province, discard that card, and you gain a Prize of your choice, or a Duchy, putting whatever card you took on top of your deck.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:
There've been a few cases of mistranslations in other languages. Usually they're not that big a deal (e.g. Chancellor which just translates as saying 'you may discard your deck' - normally fine, but suddenly it breaks Tunnel), but some totally change the card (e.g. this one, another is Tournament which IIRC only lets you gain a prize if you're the only person to reveal a Province or something crazy like that).


Incorrect. The text on the card reads:

Quote:
+1 Action
Each player may reveal a Province from his hand.
If you do, discard it and gain a Prize (from the Prize pile) or a Duchy, putting it on top of your deck.
If no-one else does, +1 Card, +(1).


Whether you gain a Prize or not is not contingent on whether another player reveals a Province.

The rule book confirms this (p. 8):

Quote:
Tournament: First you get +1 Action. Then each player, including you, may reveal a Province card from his hand. Then, if you revealed a Province, discard that card, and you gain a Prize of your choice, or a Duchy, putting whatever card you took on top of your deck.

But was that how it was translated from foreign language editions of the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:
There've been a few cases of mistranslations in other languages. Usually they're not that big a deal (e.g. Chancellor which just translates as saying 'you may discard your deck' - normally fine, but suddenly it breaks Tunnel), but some totally change the card (e.g. this one, another is Tournament which IIRC only lets you gain a prize if you're the only person to reveal a Province or something crazy like that).


Incorrect. The text on the card reads:

Quote:
+1 Action
Each player may reveal a Province from his hand.
If you do, discard it and gain a Prize (from the Prize pile) or a Duchy, putting it on top of your deck.
If no-one else does, +1 Card, +(1).


Whether you gain a Prize or not is not contingent on whether another player reveals a Province.

The rule book confirms this (p. 8):

Quote:
Tournament: First you get +1 Action. Then each player, including you, may reveal a Province card from his hand. Then, if you revealed a Province, discard that card, and you gain a Prize of your choice, or a Duchy, putting whatever card you took on top of your deck.



*sigh*
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:
There've been a few cases of mistranslations in other languages. Usually they're not that big a deal (e.g. Chancellor which just translates as saying 'you may discard your deck' - normally fine, but suddenly it breaks Tunnel), but some totally change the card (e.g. this one, another is Tournament which IIRC only lets you gain a prize if you're the only person to reveal a Province or something crazy like that).


Incorrect. The text on the card reads:

Quote:
+1 Action
Each player may reveal a Province from his hand.
If you do, discard it and gain a Prize (from the Prize pile) or a Duchy, putting it on top of your deck.
If no-one else does, +1 Card, +(1).


Whether you gain a Prize or not is not contingent on whether another player reveals a Province.


I Eat Tables meant that one of translated versions of Tournament (Polish in this case) was misworded. He was close. The Polish version reads "If you reveal a Province and no-one else does, +1 Card, +$1." (emphasis mine)
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Geenen
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: I just sent an email to the customer service of 999 Games (Dutch Publisher of Dominion) to inform them of this and ask them for replacement copies...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Oord
Netherlands
SNAKKERBUREN
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rene en Jeroen,

Goed werk mannen!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron heuvel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MMM mine says te same, +buy in stead of +Action
that explains why that card was awful

Did u ever got an response from 999games ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RenevB wrote:
I've owned Dark Ages for some time now, but hadn't figured this quite large error before. Urchin (Straatjongen) is printed as +1 Card +1 Buy (which makes no sense when you start thinking about it), instead of the correct +1 Card +1 Action. The rulebook description is correctly translated, but just like the English description only briefly mentions this part of the card.

I've played with this card only a few times, never really liking it, using the +Buy, but from now on I'll play (correctly) with +Action and see if this makes the card any better.


Curious, why do you say +1 Card +1 Buy makes no sense? I mean, it would be a terrible, terrible card most of the time... but it would make sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
RenevB wrote:
I've owned Dark Ages for some time now, but hadn't figured this quite large error before. Urchin (Straatjongen) is printed as +1 Card +1 Buy (which makes no sense when you start thinking about it), instead of the correct +1 Card +1 Action. The rulebook description is correctly translated, but just like the English description only briefly mentions this part of the card.

I've played with this card only a few times, never really liking it, using the +Buy, but from now on I'll play (correctly) with +Action and see if this makes the card any better.


Curious, why do you say +1 Card +1 Buy makes no sense? I mean, it would be a terrible, terrible card most of the time... but it would make sense.


Two reasons. One is thematically, I cannot imagine an Urchin helping you to get another buy. (Perhaps someone else can.) But the most important one is that without the +1 Action, it may be impossible, depending on the kingdom, to ever get it to upgrade to Mercenary. This is too restrictive for any practical use, IMHO.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found another one. Apperently returning Madmen is optional according to the card (it says "may"*) and not optional according to the rules (using "compulsory"*).

*: translated from Dutch, of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.