Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Gladstone
QLD
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

Tomorrow I will be playing my first game of TI3.
It will be a four player game and all players are new to TI3.
So we have no-one to walk us through and catch mistakes.

We have the Base game plus both expansions.

Rather than using a completely random map, I think we'll use the pre-set maps from FFG.

With all the options that are available, I'm looking for advice on which ones we should absolutely use, and which should be avoided like the plague. (Options listed below)

Also should any of the 17 races be avoided for our first play?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

TI3 Options
Age of Empires
Distant Suns
Leaders
Sabotage Runs

SE Options
The Variant Imperial II Card
The Variant Strategy Cards
Variant Objectives
Race-Specific Technologies
Artifacts
Shock Troops
Space Mines
The Wormhole Nexus
Facilities
Tactical Retreats
Territorial Distant Suns
Custodians of Mecatol Rex
Simulated Early Turns

SotE Options
Preliminary Objectives
Flagships
The Final Frontier
Mechanized Units
Mercenaries
Political Intrigue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a first game i should only introduce the base game plus the use of The Variant Imperial II Card.

With plenty of Action and Political cards in the base game, there are already many options for the new players. Adding extra rules from the expansions will overload them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Suchecki
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Seems like for the first game, base rules without the optional rules are better.

If you do want to add something new, I would suggest the SE strategy cards.

As far as races go, the ones that seem good for beginners:
Hacan
Sol
N'orr
L1z1x

There are other forums here which offer opinions which are good starter races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Masmanidis
Greece
Kallithea
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a brief personal opinion here:

Be prepared for a pretty long session.

TI3 is by default a time-consuming game, add to that four new players, no experienced players and two expansions.

So, try to introduce a minimal amount of elements from the expansions or else i'm afraid the experience is gonna be overwhelming, in a negative way.

Having said that, from the base game and the "shuttered empire" expansion i particularly enjoy the following elements:

-Age of empires
-Distant suns
-Leaders

-The Variant Imperial II card (for some it's a must)
-Race-Specific Technologies
-The Wormhole Nexus
(Haven't tried "Space Mines" but i intend to)

Can't speak about "Shards of the throne" as i do not own it as of today.

Finally, I do not have adequate experience and number of plays to suggest specific races, but it seems that "the Yssaril tribes" (for their ability to "pass"), "Universities of Jol-Nar" (for the technology) and "the Emirates of Hacan" (for their economy) are favorite preferences of many.
I would also add "the Mentak Coalition" (for the pirate theme). I played with them once and it was fun.

Enjoy yourselves and be patient. TI3 has many small details and a certain level of complexity, but it's a rewarding experience to say the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arnold
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 Options
Age of Empires (Face up Objectives is a great way to introduce the game)

SE Options
The Variant Imperial II Card (Imperial I is just rubbish)
Variant Objectives (A blend of both is best imo)
Artifacts (Will speed up the game)
The Wormhole Nexus (Adds absolutely no time)
Tactical Retreats (An option that is easy to understand and worthwhile)
Custodians of Mecatol Rex (I don't know anyone who doesn't play with them)

SotE Options
Mechanized Units (Why not use all the plastic?)

Beyond that I'm in the camp of wanting the game to be more dynamic in the beginning, so I strongly encourage Distant Suns. So, if you're feeling adventurous, use Territorial Distant Suns. I completely understand the argument, however, of not using them for the first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think AoE is an excellent option for new players, and players who prefer more planned strategy vs randomness, but keep in mind that your SC ("Strategy Card") set will change from the ALL SE ("Shattered Empire") set:
a. you are supposed to use the 1,3,4 from the base game, and then you can add in all of the SE SC's; 2,5,6,7,8

The SC#8 "Bureaucracy" from SE isn't bad though, it's just harder for new players because they can't see the PO's ("Public Objectives"), and you will all be unfamiliar with them. If you use "Bureaucracy" you can then use all the SC's from the SE expn.

Personally, for a first time game with all new players, I would leave out Mercenaries (so use SC#5 "Trade II"), Intrigue, Distant Suns, Final Frontier, Space Mines, Sabotage Runs. I would also leave out certain Great Races; Yssaril Tribes, Naalu Collective, Univ of Jol-Nar, Clan of Saar, The Winnu, Ghosts of Creuss, Arborec, Nekro Virus...just play the easier Great Races (IMHO), Federation of Sol, L1Z1X Mindnet, Embers of Muaat, Barony of Letnev, Emirates of Hacan, Mentak Coalition.

Some SotT elements are easy to add: FS's ("Flagships"), MU's ("Mechanized Units"), 2nd Racial Techs

I think it depends on how ambitious your group is, if you leave out racial techs (both, from SE and SotT), PrlO's ("Preliminary Objectives"), I think you will tend to focus more on scoring Stage I & II PO's, which is an important thing to get used to. Custodians of Mecatol Rex are a simple addition, I recommend them, with or without DS/FF.

I also encourage you to use a pre-set map, you will spend more time playing the game, and less time setting up. Artifacts aren't bad, very simple concept, and adds more scoring, same with VoC ("Voice of the Council") (but new people tend to forget to call it when they take the "Assembly/Political" SC#3)...Artifacts also tend to increase player conflict as they fight over them, which I think is good. Something really simple is to put one Artifact on the Wormhole Nexus, and put the other three around MR.

Anyway, have fun!...it's a great game. Four players is nice for a first game because everyone will get [2] SC's every turn (you will learn them more quickly), and if you play with standard "Bureaucracy" for SC#8 (no AoE), PO's will get turned up every GR ("Game Round").

That's my "2 cents."
(SFRR)
Siferr Stark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Gladstone
QLD
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to everyone who replied with advice and the offer of rules advice over geek messages.

We used the 4 player preset map from the FFG website, with the Wormhole Nexus. Artifacts were placed on the two planets shown on preset map and one extra on Nexus planet.

The races were choosen from a limited pool as recomended here.
The chosen races were The Hacan, The Mentak, The L1z1x, and The Embers of Muaat.

The following options were used
White Strategy Cards from SE.
Guardians of Mecatol Rex.
Flagships
Mechanized Units
Original Public Objectives
Preliminary Objectives
Race-Specific Technologies

As expected the game took a long time while we all figured out what we were doing and how everything fit together. That being said, the turns did get quicker as the rounds went on and we became more familiar with it all.

I'm happy to report that everyone enjoyed themselves and wants to play again this weekend along with a fifth who had to work today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like a good set up.
Who won the game? Hacan?
I would recommend the variant objectives for your next game and after a game or two, try out the leaders.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Gladstone
QLD
flag msg tools
mb
Sadly no, the Hacan got caught up in an matter of honor against the vile Mindnet. While the furious furballs of the Hacan navies utterly destroyed the L1z1x fleets, those pirates of the Mentax Collection managed to grab the last couple of VPs needed to claim victory.

The lesson learned here is don't let righteous vengeance take your eye off the ultimate prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Djokic
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you don't mind me asking; how long approximately did your 4-player game take you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.