Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Voting and speaker. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had a weird situation when any vote resulted with 0 votes for, 0 against and 0 abstain. What happens in this situation?
My group says let speaker decide, and this is kind of retarded because speaker gets to decide every law!
As I think it should be discarded.

What happens in regular voting if there is For and Against option and everyone abstains?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Voley wrote:
We had a weird situation when any vote resulted with 0 votes for, 0 against and 0 abstain. What happens in this situation?
My group says let speaker decide, and this is kind of retarded because speaker gets to decide every law!
As I think it should be discarded.

What happens in regular voting if there is For and Against option and everyone abstains?

The Speaker MUST break the tie in all such cases. It is not just discarded.

I'm trying to figure out why everyone would do that, though. Your post makes it sound like for whatever reason this was happening with every vote. Why were people abstaining this much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Did you ignore that one has a minimum 1 vote even if all influence planets are tapped (just a minimum, its not added on if you actually have any inf)? That many 0s seems suspicious.

Also, speaker votes last, so when everyone is abstaining, they kinda get to decide the vote anyway, before going to "speaker tiebreak".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played with Nekro vs Yssaril vs Muaat, and Nekro can't vote, I had all my representatives killed and Muaat had his representatives killed or something. Either way we had noone voting and speaker got to decide every vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that rare situation, yes, that would be the case. I've never seen it happen, but it does make the Speaker a bit more enticing in that case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
In that rare situation, yes, that would be the case. I've never seen it happen, but it does make the Speaker a bit more enticing in that case

This is so weird.
How can you break tie if there is no tie? Nobody can actually make choices? There is no-one voting for (not even 0 votes for... just nobody voting.)
And that's for for and against.

If it's elect a planet for example - nobody can even pick a planet - so technically there is no way to break a tie between planets.

This is indeed bizarre.
I would just allow of course to just let speaker decide everything as mentioned above - but it's indeed weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garfielder wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

This is so weird.
How can you break tie if there is no tie? Nobody can actually make choices? There is no-one voting for (not even 0 votes for... just nobody voting.)
And that's for for and against.

There is a tie; it's 0 votes for, 0 votes against, for a For-Against vote for instance.

Quote:
If it's elect a planet for example - nobody can even pick a planet - so technically there is no way to break a tie between planets.

Not quite, the tie is 0 votes for every single planet. A 0-0-0-0-0-... tie, as it were.

There is nothing in the rules that says there must be at least 1 vote for it to count There is nothing in the rules to indicate that everyone abstaining causes the vote to be canceled - it still resolves as any other vote, just with a tie at 0 votes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
badge
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
mbmbmbmbmb
The speaker breaks ties even if the speaker can't vote themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Not quite, the tie is 0 votes for every single planet. A 0-0-0-0-0-... tie, as it were.

There is nothing in the rules that says there must be at least 1 vote for it to count There is nothing in the rules to indicate that everyone abstaining causes the vote to be canceled - it still resolves as any other vote, just with a tie at 0 votes

Interesting - so if elect vote comes in and everybody abstain including speaker he is steal breaking 0 ties?
So it's impossible to have situation where no planet is elected in elect a planet (player, planet with space dock, law...) vote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garfielder wrote:
Interesting - so if elect vote comes in and everybody abstain including speaker he is steal breaking 0 ties?

Correct; it's still a 0-0 tie, and the speaker MUST break the tie.

Note, however, that the Speaker tiebreaker ability does NOT count as a vote for things that say something happens based on who votes for/against.

Quote:
So it's impossible to have situation where no planet is elected in elect a planet (player, planet with space dock, law...) vote?

Correct; the only way to have a vote with no effect is if the vote itself is canceled (such as with a Council Disbanded card), or if the results of the vote say "No effect" on the card itself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.