9 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: 4 mice in missions, even with less players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Jackes
msg tools
Hello,

I am thinking of buying the game but there is only a thing that holds me back.

I have read the rule book, the first story chapter and seen couple of videos. So is it correct that in most of the missions there have to be all 4 mice present? Even if we are less?

My group is almost all of the times 3 people and I don't want an extra mouse to be controlled by someone. So, if that's the case, I might pass the game.

Is it like this or am I missing something?

Happy new year everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are five player mice, of which you usually bring four. So, while I don't know why you refuse to have one player handle two mice, this doesn't seem like it would suit your group.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The fixed number of mice is a slight turn off to me as well (especially since it is supposed to be played in campaign but the number of mice change from chapter to chapter - though most often 4 mice exactly).

I don't know how much it would affect the game if you just played with 3 in these situations. Rumor has it that a future expansion may address how to handle scalability in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Högquist
Sweden
Hagersten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I acctually prefer 2 (or possibly 3) player games. Most groups I play this in have no problem with controling different mice for different scenarios, or more than one mice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Högquist
Sweden
Hagersten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and the reason I prefer fewer players is that that way you get more action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played plenty of games with only 2 or 3 players. For me it's not a problem letting someone else control more than one mouse. If someone wants more action, they can control the minions as well as their mouse. Though when one person is controlling the minions, someone else will roll attack and defense dice when the minions are attacking or defending against that minion-controlling player's mouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually 6 mice in the game. There are two mission where you use all 6 and one where where you use 2 and a NPC.

The game plays well with 3 players. Have each player pick two mice is theirs. Then take turns playing two mice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the great things about this game is that you don't have to keep the same character for the whole campaign ... each chapter gives you the chance to have a go with a different mouse. And uneven players vs mice is certainly no issue (for my group anyway) ...one game one player takes a couple of mice, another game a different player takes a couple; it's no big deal.

Also as stated above, the player with the less mice can run the enemy ... just swapping with another when the enemies are attacking their mouse.
Being a coop - there should be plenty of discussing of what is the best action to take ... and therefore it's usually a bit of a hive-mind run party anyway.

Love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, the missions change who and how many you can play from chapter to chapter. This could be three, could be four, etc, and you are not necessarily playing the same group every time. This is a story that you are playing out. Not an RPG where you have a fixed static group start to finish. (Well... unless its Dark Sun, in which case dont get too attatched to anyone... but thats an adventure for another day.

But. Ig you are dead set against any players playing an extra character, or players not getting a character at all, or players playing possibly different characters from session to session. Then NO. This is not a game you should get. Try Descent or something more suited to your groups playstyle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.