Subject: Tiebreakers and Special Powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Becker

Nashville
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, it's easy enough - any tiebreaker for domination or species population is given to the animal higher on the evolutionary chain. After a few games with people complaining that it's too much a tiebreaker for mammals (and/or reptiles), I considered the following variant:

We usually play four players, which means 5 APs and 45 cubes. What if the number of cubes was scaled according to the animal's level on the food chain? Mammals would get 40 cubes, reptiles 42, birds 44, amphibians 46, arachnids 48 and insects 50. It's a minor shift between each, but there's a healthy gap between top and bottom. Too big?

Originally, my thought was that the special powers were calibrated to even out the tiebreaker procedure. So we tried to figure out a hierarchy for the animals. Amphibians have a considerable advantage toward dominance, at least early, but insects and arachnids (situationally) should benefit more via population scoring. Even so, it felt like the reptiles and birds had two of the strongest special powers, and mammals were one of the weakest. Combine the mammals meager survival ability with their initial initiative drawbacks, and that evens the playing field, no?

Is the tiebreaker advantage is too strong for the highest on the food chain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inflatable Gecko wrote:
Sure, it's easy enough - any tiebreaker for domination

There is no tiebreaker when determining Domination. If it is tied then no domination marker is placed on the Hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Otterjets wrote:
There is no tiebreaker when determining Domination. If it is tied then no domination marker is placed on the Hex.

This is correct. Food chain order is only useful for breaking ties when scoring a tile, i.e. counting up the number of species cubes from each animal class present on the tile being scored, in order to assign VPs accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inflatable Gecko wrote:
Is the tiebreaker advantage is too strong for the highest on the food chain?

Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Op, as well as Mammals not breaking ties on Dominance (or the survival card) there have been many posts wondering if one particular animal is over or under powered. All animals have been covered both ways so I feel they are balanced just fine as they are. I've played numerous games now and we are all indifferent as to which animal we get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.