Subject: 6 players...how many rings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Human Flie
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
The game is all set up and ready to go for tomorrow morning. From picking races to end game we have over 9 hours of time to play.
We have 4 Veterans (4 games or more) and 2 players with only one game under their belt.
We're playing with (territorial) distant suns, final frontier, flag ships, objectives and strategy cards from Shattered Empire and shock troops.
I'm tempted to put a 4th ring. I'm afraid it will make the game too long and possibly remove some of the conflict.
What do you guys think? If I add a 4th ring are there any variants or anything you would add or change?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
HF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are making a pre-set map where players draw random starting positions (I like this style a lot by the way), I would still say "no" - stay with 3 Rings - give players a solid reason to get out and explore and have conflict with each other. You also run the risk of having a galaxy that's a too "resource heavy" and that kind of takes out some of the "edge and tension" of battling/negotiating over resources. On the other hand, the other extreme really sucks, where a galaxy is too "resource 'stingy'" and that's no fun either.

My absolute favorite version of the game, odd though it may be, is 7-Player and 4 Rings (unchosen SC still gets a bonus token). At 6-Players though I would stick with 3 Rings...use two cleverly placed wormholes (with resources/planets) and the Nexus...that's always good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
human_flie wrote:
I'm tempted to put a 4th ring. I'm afraid it will make the game too long and possibly remove some of the conflict.

4-ring games do exactly that, especially with 6 players. It also adds too many resources overall to the map, meaning that the choices of how to build your fleet become a lot less interesting.

I would stay away from a 4th ring and never look back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
human_flie wrote:

4-ring games do exactly that, especially with 6 players. It also adds too many resources overall to the map, meaning that the choices of how to build your fleet become a lot less interesting.

...oh, but you couldn't just say "What SFRR said, yeah, what HE said"...oh no, YOU had to say it.
Oh just kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
human_flie wrote:

...oh, but you couldn't just say "What SFRR said, yeah, what HE said"...oh no, YOU had to say it.
Oh just kidding.

I'm just saying it more strongly Especially since you like 7-player games, and I wouldn't touch another 7-player game with a 10-foot pole, and the 4th ring is a major reason why (exception: Fall of the Empire scenario, since the galaxy only uses the standard 3 rings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Human Flie
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Thanks guys. I'll probably stick with 3. However, I neglected to mention, we're NOT doing a preset map. Everyone in my crew seems to like the variation and randomness.
I don't know if that changes your opinions at all. In a game like this would it have a tendency to balance things out resource wise or make things even worse?
HF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
human_flie wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll probably stick with 3. However, I neglected to mention, we're NOT doing a preset map. Everyone in my crew seems to like the variation and randomness.
I don't know if that changes your opinions at all. In a game like this would it have a tendency to balance things out resource wise or make things even worse?
HF

You will be fine, stick with 3 Rings, just remember that I said so FIRST, before Sigmazero13 did...neener neener neener Oscar Meyer Weiner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
human_flie wrote:
HF

You will be fine, stick with 3 Rings, just remember that I said so FIRST, before Sigmazero13 did...neener neener neener Oscar Meyer Weiner.

I most enthusiastically concur with this With extra emphasis, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
On the other hand, the other extreme really sucks, where a galaxy is too "resource 'stingy'" and that's no fun either.

I must disagree with this; scarcity breeds conflict! The most barren* board I've played on was also one of the hands-down most fun games of TI3 I've experienced. Each decision bore weight, alliances even more fragile than ever, and also one of the only games with a player elimination I've been in.

*=It was so barren, you would have had to control nearly 90% of the galaxy to claim the "I control 11 planets outside my home system" objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Wilczek
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi,

most of the time we are playing with >= 6 players and creating 4 ring galaxy. While playing with all expansions and wormholes on the board we feel quite close to each other ;-) Gravity rifts are handy in such big environment ;-)

We like the fun coming from Distant Suns and Space Domain Counters;
but like previous players said, smaller galaxy may add a feel of inevitable conflict over scarce resources. I will try to convince others to play with less systems ;-)

Best Regards
Kamil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnY C
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
You can use 4 rings, but then try to reduce the number of planets. Use all blank and red tiles you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wilco
Germany
Braunschweig
NDS
flag msg tools
There will never be a real space quest again...
badge
SQ2 was best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with four rings and having the galaxy be "wrap around" also really gets people in touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.