Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the holidays, I finally have the time to set this up and give the tutorial scenario a whirl.

I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I was fearing. Yes, there are a lot of rules per section, but the rules are arranged very well. Also, all the mechanics in an area mesh together really well, so doing a thing (e.g. naval transport) once makes it really easy to remember.

There are some things I had to look for that slowed things down. Like, I'm sure impulse order is in the rules somewhere, but I found it on the reference card. That and the leader deployment table. Hidden away in the scenario book.

Of course the game will get more complex in the full versions, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's not as daunting a task to learn it as I first thought. I am now more eager than ever to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonithic wrote:
With the holidays, I finally have the time to set this up and give the tutorial scenario a whirl.

I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I was fearing. Yes, there are a lot of rules per section, but the rules are arranged very well. Also, all the mechanics in an area mesh together really well, so doing a thing (e.g. naval transport) once makes it really easy to remember.

There are some things I had to look for that slowed things down. Like, I'm sure impulse order is in the rules somewhere, but I found it on the reference card. That and the leader deployment table. Hidden away in the scenario book.

Of course the game will get more complex in the full versions, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's not as daunting a task to learn it as I first thought. I am now more eager than ever to play.

Lots of people to play with in Toronto.

Niagara Boardgaming Weekend coming up on January 23. Traditionally, there's been a few games of Here I Stand or Virgin Queen played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
Lots of people to play with in Toronto.

Niagara Boardgaming Weekend coming up on January 23. Traditionally, there's been a few games of Here I Stand or Virgin Queen played.

Yeah, there was a game at the last TABSCon which I missed out on, and one this month that I missed out on (life keeps getting in the way).

I always like to go through a turn or two solo in a complex game before I start playing, though, so I think after I finish this game I will try a turn or three of the campaign scenario. I'll still get rules wrong with the "veterans", but I don't like feeling totally lost in a complex game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
St Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonithic wrote:
Like, I'm sure impulse order is in the rules somewhere, but I found it on the reference card.

It's on page 5 of the rules (bottom right corner).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Leonithic wrote:
Like, I'm sure impulse order is in the rules somewhere, but I found it on the reference card.

I have failed at life. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonithic wrote:
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Leonithic wrote:

I have failed at life. zombie

Virgin Queen is life, so, yes, you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a nice friendly community.

The Terrible Turk won on turn 2.

Clearly the Spanish need to be very aggressive to avoid the Ottoman victory conditions, but I wasn't familiar enough with the system to do that. The HRE not activating until turn 2 didnt help things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.