Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I recently got an older edition of this fine game, and I see there was a First and Second edition. Were there any differences between the editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
The second edition is the Fantasy Flight Games Silver line edition.

The game is exactly the same, however, quite a few things have been changed that are only physical and related to the components:

- In all, the Silver Line edition is smaller, boards are smaller, cards are slightly smaller, etc.

- Components have different designs, fro example in the original edition, Sauron was this really cool figure, now it's just a card board thingy. The Hobbits were very detailed sculptures (but also quite fragile) and now they're just cardboard. The ring was an actual ring in the original, yet again just card board in the latter edition.

- Names have been changed: Hobbit cards turned into... I think Quest Cards (or something like that)

- Although the illustrations are exactly the same, the design is different, like the different adventure tracks (main track and side tracks) are drawn slightly differently

- The illustrations, although the same, seem to have lost a few details compared to the original one (maybe due to the size of boards)

- Biggest difference: the expansions. I think there are no expansions available in the Silver Line edition

Overall I greatly prefer the original version. Not only do you have access to really cool expansions, but also the components are really cool.

Here a few images you can find on BGG that show a few differences.

Moria Scenario board

The Master board

here an impressive difference on the illustrations. The original has much more depth.

Graphic design might feel more appealing with the latter edition.

Compare figures with cardboard

But the game is exactly the same, no changes in rules or whatsoever. Expansions of the original edition wouldn't be compatible due to design and with the Sauton expansion come new Event tiles that wouldn't mix with the latter ones... If you got the original one, you're much better off in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I never had the old one but got the silverline, since I was not interested in the expansions. And I much prefer the new design (cards, event tiles and their icons look un-thematic in the old, but are really nice in the new (at least that is my taste). Of course bad that some graphic was lost/covered on the boards, but to me it is a minor thing compared to the new better components graphic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your responses and the comparison photos. I noticed there is 2000 and 2001 edition of the game actually, so I guess the Silver Line would be a third edition? I am just curious about the two older editions. I wanted the expansions, so I opted against the Silver Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some differences between certain versions/editions, main one being the grey/white split being 6/6 vs 7/5, with Wild being all white in one edition (12 cards) and having a 6/6 in another. Since you can only play a Grey + White (apart from Merry or Pippin) on your turn, have Grey Wilds makes it easier.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3075484#3075484
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
There are some differences between certain versions/editions, main one being the grey/white split being 6/6 vs 7/5, with Wild being all white in one edition (12 cards) and having a 6/6 in another. Since you can only play a Grey + White (apart from Merry or Pippin) on your turn, have Grey Wilds makes it easier.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3075484#3075484

Ah perfect, thank you. On my copy the box says copyright 2000, but the rulebook states Second Edition, 2001. Also, there is the even distribution of grey/white wilds and the other suits as mentioned in the link you included.

They didn't update the box, so those seeking the Second Edition will have to check the rulebook and card breakdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
gashlycrumb wrote:
They didn't update the box, so those seeking the Second Edition will have to check the rulebook and card breakdown.

The first Hasbro Edition has the the Green Diamond shape in the background, whilst the 2nd Hasbro Edition has a Red Diamond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No wonder it gets confusing, as they didn't change the diamond color in the Fantasy Flight edition. Well, I'm glad I got the edition I have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FFG version has the 2nd edition rules, but the 7/5 split and no grey wilds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main appeal with the original edition was at one point, the expansions were made available for $5 each (F&F, Sauron, Battlefields), but b/c the old edition is now OOP, the expansions are now at highly inflated prices. If that's still your thing, then great. Otherwise, at those prices, they're effectively unavailable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.