8 Posts

Glen More» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Dr Funktastic Reviews Glen More rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Funktastic
msg tools
Glen More
The 2 following ratings do not factor into the rating of the game, because for instance, forgiving games are not necessarily better than non-forgiving games

1) Forgiving Rating ( 1 - 10 ) (Multiple mistakes are not detrimental to your chances of winning --> One mistake could cost you a victory.)
8 - When playing against players of equal experience/caliber the game is fairly unforgiving. When playing against players of greater experience/caliber the game is not forgiving at all.

2) Complexity ( 1 - 10 ) (Mindless Fluff --> My brain has melted and is oozing out my ears)
7 - Initially feels like a really simple game, but this game pleasantly has a bit more depth than meets the eye, and a bit more teeth.

Rating the Game
Components vs cost ( 1 - 10 ) (I paid good money for these onion paper cards??? --> These gold coins are real gold!)
5 - The game isn't expensive, so don't expect expensive components, but I can't give this category an average rating of 7 because I have some complaints. 1) we forget all the time who is what color! So much so that we procured a few chips of the correct colors...red, blue, yellow, etc...to mark our play areas so that whom is whom is clear to all. 2) The icons and text are pretty tiny. One of the regulars in my group struggles to play the game because he cannot decipher the icons on the tiles

Fun ( 1 - 10 ) (I would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than play this game --> Is that a stripper over there, meh Is it my turn yet?)
8 - This game is pretty fun! It plays quickly, there is little downtime, we find ourselves speaking to each other in scottish accents, and getting drunk while we do it. It has a cerebral feel but isn't a burner. Set up and clean up are painless.

Obtaining Victory ( 1 - 10 ) (Every victory is a product of the same sequence of events --> A multitude of paths to victory)
7 - The game scores an average rating of 7 here. There isn't one formula to winning, the randomness of the tiles and reactionary play to and from your opponents guarantee this, but only 3 factors determine score...so the paths to victory are definately not infinite, but there are many options to expolore, and this keeps the game fresh.

Teaching and Learning ( 1 - 10 ) (It is easier to prove that there are an infinite number of twin primes --> ABC easy as 123)
8 - This is a simple game. The only issues are in learning some iconography and in addressing market issues, when can I sell? when can I buy? etc...However the rule book is well written and answers most, if not all questions. (I don't think I ever had to refer to BGG to get a ruling)

Scale-ability ( 1 - 5 ) (Works only with less/more players --> Works great with any (published) number of players)
3 - This game is published as 2 - 5. I enjoy it most at 4. But do see value at 2. My problem with the game with less players is the randomness of the die roll, which can KILL good play, as the die is not limited by resourses and legal placement rules for tiles it can select,

Access-ability ( 1 - 5 ) (Must be played by the hardest of hardcore gamers --> Easily played by my wife)
4 - She will play it, but it takes coersion, and I don't have to give up much.

Overall Score
(5+8+7+8+3+4) = 35

Please note that I make no reference to theme, and replayability. I firmly believe that all themes are pasted on, and are what you as the player make of them. When I play Glen More, I choose to play Glen More as a Scotsman making whiskey and building my clan, because that is the theme of the game. Furthermore, I think all games are replayable, and that a game evolves with those playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two word review of your BGG name (I.e. Dr. funktastic): Awe. Some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, why do you think it makes any sense at all to just add those scores?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic
msg tools
jedimusic wrote:

Thanks

thepackrat wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do you think it makes any sense at all to just add those scores?

B>

I struggled with this choice as well, but somehow needed/wanted to create an overall score using each score.

Are all categories equal? You will see that access-ability and scale-ability are both scaled down a bit to compensate

Hope you enjoyed the read, and learned something about a game I enjoy as that is what it all it is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Review.

I agree with your point about forgetting whom is what color

And, I've been meaning to get some way to mark whom is whom with a chit or something, but haven't found any bits of the same color that I like. Perhaps just using a bunch of meeples of the same color to take the place of the black ones that it comes with for clan members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Funktastic wrote:
jedimusic wrote:

Thanks

thepackrat wrote:

B>

I struggled with this choice as well, but somehow needed/wanted to create an overall score using each score.

Are all categories equal? You will see that access-ability and scale-ability are both scaled down a bit to compensate

Hope you enjoyed the read, and learned something about a game I enjoy as that is what it all it is about.

The categories give us an idea about things you did or didn't like, that's great. Just give the final score you think fits and don't even attempt to combine them by naive addition. That's not how those things combine to form your opinion of the game.

If this makes the precise numbers for each section seem overkill, well there's a lesson there. Positive/neutral/negative probably suffices.

As you can see by my earlier review for this game, I tend to use a lot more words. You don't need to do that, just try to avoid painting yourself into a score like this.

B>

Also, accessibility. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

The categories give us an idea about things you did or didn't like, that's great. Just give the final score you think fits and don't even attempt to combine them by naive addition. That's not how those things combine to form your opinion of the game.

If this makes the precise numbers for each section seem overkill, well there's a lesson there. Positive/neutral/negative probably suffices.

As you can see by my earlier review for this game, I tend to use a lot more words. You don't need to do that, just try to avoid painting yourself into a score like this.

B>

Also, accessibility.

Pretty sure he is playing on words with access-ability, please note the hyphen...and previous incorrect use of the word "scale-ability"
There is much attempt at humor within all the ratings...not so sure you have seen this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Funktastic
msg tools
dlikos wrote:
Nice Review.

I agree with your point about forgetting whom is what color

And, I've been meaning to get some way to mark whom is whom with a chit or something, but haven't found any bits of the same color that I like. Perhaps just using a bunch of meeples of the same color to take the place of the black ones that it comes with for clan members.

Thanks. Your idea for replacing the black meeplewith colored meeple is a good one. Wonder why I never thought of thatangry

thepackrat wrote:

B>

Also, accessibility.

I think the game gets a 7 and the way I chose to rate it agreed...

I choose to use precise numbers...A Positive/neutral/negative system would remove any wit, banter, and charm that I am trying to put into my scales...

I haven't read your review yet, but look forward to it!

Accessibility is purposefully misspelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.