Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Builder» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Baron System: seriously, it solves everything rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Abe
msg tools
Ok, not THAT serious. And actually don't know if there is something to solve, but i'd like to ask you what do you think about this, that i consider something a little more than a variant

I'd like to say that i LOVE this game, since it's alway different, but mainly because it's simple, elegant and at the same time intriguing and deep. And i like the amount of luck in it. I don't hate luck in games just because, i hate it when it becomes the main/only factor, imho it's not the case here. Ok enough with chit-chats, let's talk about the

Baron System
Ok, the name came up after reading the secret story of the game, and it is a miserable way to make shine the system at donald's eyes
Well, here i'm introducing the role of the Baron. Instead of drawing a random card the Baron will draw 1 card per terrain type. He will choose one, and passes the others to the next player, that will do the same. Voila! I think this simple, elegant, intriguing and deep as the game itself.

Baron System pros
The ones that hate luck will find this factor eliminated by the game. Being the Baron gives you the priviledge to choose the terrain you want, BUT the next player will know what he choose, and eventually act accordingly. And so the others. The 4th or 5th player will obviously have less clues.
Obviously another tricky move could be choosing a terrain that another player needs to score tons of points!
As i said, this spice things up a little, limits luck, and adds a bit more interaction that's something i really love

Baron System cons
No cons, it's perfect, it shines, and if donald wants to use it will have to cover me with gold (real gold, no woody tabletop gold!!!).
Seriously the only limit i see is that you won't ever be able to play more that 5 players, that's something i hate cause i play mainly with 5 friends. but i hope donald will expand this game with more terrains
Another con is that i'm not sure about how it will work with 2 players.

i want to be a Baron
Ok, let's spice things a little more. How to become a Baron? Well since i want it to be the most simple as possible, now when we use the Baron we pass the Baron counter every round to the player at his left. But in my mind the Baron role should be assigned in a more clever way, since it's strategically important and may change players strategies during the game. Here i need your help. Now the options that came at my mind.

- if you use nomads the richest player is the Baron (con: no expansion, no Baron)
- the player with more settlement area is the Baron (oooooh Yes, it sticks to the game setting so much that makes me cry!!!)
- the player with the biggest settlement area is the Baron (i already see too many ties)
- draw a 4th kingdom card, it will grand you no gold, but the player with more.. Uhm... "Baron points" becomes the new Baron. Baron points are gold counted every round. Yes, this is the option i like more.

My main concerns about the way to choose the new Baron is that i want it simple and as less as possible subjected to ties, i hate ties!

Any further ideas? What do you think about the Baron? Like it? Dislike it?

P.s. Sorry for my poor english, i hope everything is comprehensible..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it will make the game take longer and (especially for the first player) eliminate the interesting part of the game (creating a structure that allows you to effectively use as many different terrain draws as possible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drafting cards isn't a bad idea, assuming you're willing to lengthen the game. But you HAVE to let the Baron change around in a predictable, FAIR way. Being the Baron is a huge advantage, and if your system lets a leader become Baron, that person will be able to keep it. (Even worse, getting the second choice is still a big advantage over choosing last. So if you gave the Baron position to the last-place player, then the person sitting to the left of the worst player would win.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
This literally removes most of the skill from the game. The only thing that matters is being the baron. Setting up an infrastructure to deal with the randomness is what the game is all about. Removing that aspect of the game makes it 100% a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Abe
msg tools
Ok tonight we tried some of these versions. Conclusions:
In our opinion the draft works very well BUT none of the way i thought to assign the Baron role works fine. I have to agree with some of you: Being Baron is too much powerfull to make it possible to be Baron for too long AND the efforts to be Baron are more than the ones deserved for the rest of the game itself.
While passing the Baron role clockwise every round left the game balanced and funny. We will play the "normal draft" Baron, since i have no other idea about it. thank you for your feedbacks further ideas are welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aleckxander wrote:
Ok tonight we tried some of these versions. Conclusions:
In our opinion the draft works very well BUT none of the way i thought to assign the Baron role works fine. I have to agree with some of you: Being Baron is too much powerfull to make it possible to be Baron for too long AND the efforts to be Baron are more than the ones deserved for the rest of the game itself.
While passing the Baron role clockwise every round left the game balanced and funny. We will play the "normal draft" Baron, since i have no other idea about it. thank you for your feedbacks further ideas are welcome

My comment? I love the game the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Abe
msg tools
Sure, me too, but in a forum named "variants" i'm supposed to talk about.. Well.. Variants, not about how the game works well without them.. I think..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Aleckxander wrote:
- if you use nomads the richest player is the Baron (con: no expansion, no Baron)
- the player with more settlement area is the Baron (oooooh Yes, it sticks to the game setting so much that makes me cry!!!)

These make for a bad "rich get richer" effect. It will make first-player advantage exponentially worse.

Aleckxander wrote:
- the player with the biggest settlement area is the Baron (i already see too many ties)

More interesting. I think it will balance things a little bit. Usually it's better in your second turn to start a new settlement area and claim another location tile, but if you can't because of a bad baron pass or choose not to, you will likely be the next baron.

But yeah, in the second round, there's almost guaranteed to be a tie. Most players will play three adjacent settlements.

Aleckxander wrote:
- draw a 4th kingdom card, it will grand you no gold, but the player with more.. Uhm... "Baron points" becomes the new Baron. Baron points are gold counted every round. Yes, this is the option i like more.

This is cool, although still probably suffers from rich get richer. It's probably okay some of the time, since the baron, who's leading in one kingdom card, might have less invested in the others that actually score points. But in cases where the baron kingdom card synergizes with another, like Citizen and Merchants, the rich still get richer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
cferejohn wrote:
Sounds like it will make the game take longer and (especially for the first player) eliminate the interesting part of the game (creating a structure that allows you to effectively use as many different terrain draws as possible).

It doesn't eliminate it, just diminish it a little bit. If you can take advantage of any terrain, then you can be more successful on the turns when you're late to pick. In the variants where baron is decided by a some criterion, if you are sufficiently balanced, you can completely ignore competing for the baron and spend your energy on gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sidbisk Sidbisk
Canada
flag msg tools
How about as the baron you get the first choice of terrain card but you will be the last one to place your settlements? Yes nobody can really play your terrain card(beside extra actions) on that round but can affect the surrounding of your planned move.

As for the mechanics to be the Baron, I don't really see how to prevent the tug of war for that strategic position.

Passing the baron to the next player also makes it predictable and some player will make there move accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.