Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
Ireland
Irish in Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

I just got Carcassonne as a present. Never played it before, I'm more into War of the Ring, Age of Empires, Agricola, and a bunch of other games. But have given it a shot anyway!

Fun enough so far, but I have a question about the farm scoring. From reading BGG and Wikipedia, it seems that from Editions 1 to 3, the farm scoring system has changed. Apparently now, the standard way is Edition 3, which is to score 3 points per completed city in/adjacent to your farm (for the player with the most owners in that farm).

How come my rule book included with the game says this is 4 points and not 3?

The rule book is copyright dated 2012, Hans im Gluck (ie not American publisher). It is the Finnish translated edition. There is no Edition number specified, but as it is dated 2012, I presume it is the latest! I know it doesn't make much difference, but it's nice to know.

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting b/c I have an expansion that says the Pig gives me 5 points per farm city instead of 4...but my base game only gives me 3 points per farm...I share your inquisition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Should be, per city:

base of 3 points for having a farmer
+1 point for having a barn instead of a farmer
+1 point for having a pigs
+1 point for having a pigs tile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing it's a regional mistake. It probably is a reprint of the 1st or 2nd German edition. Just because it says 2012 Hans im Glück doesn't mean it is that version, not if it is a translated version. The 2012 just means that's the printing year. Stick to the current 3rd edition rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for farmer scoring (and from memory the two tile cities) have changed many times depending on which edition you are looking at. Unless you have a printed copy of what the definitive rules are, and given that at times the German and English rules were different my theory is you play with whatever is printed in the rules with the copy you are physically playing with. This was relevant to us because our set and a friend's set were different editions and thus had different farmer scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Irish in Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
I'm guessing it's a regional mistake. It probably is a reprint of the 1st or 2nd German edition. Just because it says 2012 Hans im Glück doesn't mean it is that version, not if it is a translated version. The 2012 just means that's the printing year. Stick to the current 3rd edition rules.

Sounds good to me! Probably a reprint of an older edition but dated 2012 as the year it was printed. Strange way of publishing I think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fotrich Trucks
msg tools
mbmb
Is it 4 points for every city, but every city is scored for the majority of farmers on all surrounding farms or 4 points for every city in or round a farm, majority counting for every farm?
Is there an extra-rule given for 2-tile cities: only 2 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope someone looks into the new Zman Games edition rulebook....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TGCRequiem wrote:
That's interesting b/c I have an expansion that says the Pig gives me 5 points per farm city instead of 4...but my base game only gives me 3 points per farm...I share your inquisition.

My (RGG, as I assume yours is too) Traders & Builders says the same, even though I bought it years after RGG updated to the latest rules. I suspect it's just that when RGG updated the base game, they forgot about the necessity to update that expansion to match. Or there were lots of old copies of the expansion lying around for years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted anderson
United States
southington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
Hope someone looks into the new Zman Games edition rulebook....

The Z-Man edition has the 3 point per city rule as determined by the 3rd edition rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamarche
Canada
Val-d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar problem, which is that in the field section of the rulebook, it is clearly stated everywhere that farmers give 3 points for completed cities. The examples also show 3 points. Great!

But there is one quote, one sentence where it says 4 points :

(personal translation)
A city may be situated beside several fields. If such a case happen, all farmers (peasants) that are in a field that touches the city are taken into account for field scoring. But it is only the player with the most farmers that receive 4 points. In case of a tie, concerned players receive 3 points.

WTH is up with those rulebooks... everybody seem to have a poor time understanding simple carcassonne rules because of poor rulebook revision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted anderson
United States
southington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziraffe wrote:
I have a similar problem, which is that in the field section of the rulebook, it is clearly stated everywhere that farmers give 3 points for completed cities. The examples also show 3 points. Great!

But there is one quote, one sentence where it says 4 points :

(personal translation)
A city may be situated beside several fields. If such a case happen, all farmers (peasants) that are in a field that touches the city are taken into account for field scoring. But it is only the player with the most farmers that receive 4 points. In case of a tie, concerned players receive 3 points.

WTH is up with those rulebooks... everybody seem to have a poor time understanding simple carcassonne rules because of poor rulebook revision.

Which version of the game do you have? I just checked the current Z-Man printing of the game and every instance of points when farmers are concerned is 3. I'm going to say that this current revision (Z-Man) is the rule set to go by, where farms are worth 3 points per city, even with a tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamarche
Canada
Val-d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have a french edition (hans im gluck). Maybe the number got lost in the translation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The CAR (Complete Annotaed Rules) for Carcassonne transcends all published rules editions and coordinates all FAQ and expansions. It is an excellent master reference.

Find the latest revision hosted and maintained at CarcassonneCentral here: CAR Revision 6.4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.