Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jason ritz
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how y'all handle discarded items...
1) discarded from the game entirely
2) discarded to the bottom of the appropriate deck to be shuffled in again once that pile has run out
3) left in that particular square for anyone to come along and pick up afterwards
4) somehow else that I am not thinking of right now

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another brick in the wall
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Don't mention the war
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb

we put them back in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Brackney
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We discard entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Don't mention the war
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

we put them back in the box.

It's an interesting question. Clearly the two of us take them out of play. it seems better to limit the treasure I think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that you discard them entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:

Yep, this.
Plus it wouldn't make sense if the pit near the exit never ran out of treasures; it would never encourage players to risk venturing further into the temple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HurriKane
United States
Littlestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyj1220 wrote:
Roolz wrote:

Yep, this.
Plus it wouldn't make sense if the pit near the exit never ran out of treasures; it would never encourage players to risk venturing further into the temple.

Makes sense.. thanks for clarifying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason ritz
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the discarding entirely makes more sense than shuffling them back in. I was thinking however, that it might be interesting to see what would happen if they are left in the particular squares where they are dropped for others to come along and pick up. This would make people think twice about dropping stuff to speed themselves up (gaining more actions). It would also entice that greedy player to maybe grab too much and get caught.

Let me know if you try like this... I will too and report back what it's like when I next check back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Don't mention the war
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
theritzes wrote:
Yeah, the discarding entirely makes more sense than shuffling them back in. I was thinking however, that it might be interesting to see what would happen if they are left in the particular squares where they are dropped for others to come along and pick up. This would make people think twice about dropping stuff to speed themselves up (gaining more actions). It would also entice that greedy player to maybe grab too much and get caught.

Let me know if you try like this... I will too and report back what it's like when I next check back in.

yes makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason ritz
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I haven't forgotten this veign of thought. I simply started the process of painting all the miniatures in the game in my spare time. I will eventually play this week with the "dropped items in play in the square where you left them" house rule and see how it plays. But first, I need to paint the last half of my figures and all the blocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were thinking of doing this as well... and I also just started painting the figs.. I haven't started the blocks... but I was wishing they had made the blocks in a brownish-tan plastic instead of grey... more pyramid-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason ritz
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The blocks were a bit of a pain. I agree that they should have been a more pyramid color (sort of like the bridge from the first game: Temple of Chac) Having finished the blocks yesterday (during a Godzilla movie and an episode of Star Trek from Season 2) I would almost suggest not painting them to someone thinking of it... or maybe simply black primer and then some sort of sandy colored spray paint to give a more unified coloring to them all.
PS... just finished the last character, and now I just need to do the mummies. I will post pictures once they are all finished.
PSS- (***insert football referee voice) after further review, we like the way the blocks came out. I thought they were going to be way too dark once on the board, but it turned out that they were pretty close thanks to the dark color scheme of the board itself. take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good! I painted my blocks with a sand/bone base colour (Army Painter spray). Looked nice too, in the end:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason ritz
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As you can see... I've got them all finished (debating whether or not to do the bases), but now I should have a chance to try out the dropped items rule to see how it plays.

BTW... is there a way to put several photos into albums here on bgg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason ritz
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... so, my friend (who incedently is more cunning than I) figured out the problem with the dropping and picking up items rule. A player could drop an item which would decrease their load level, thusly giving them a chance for more actions- which is all fine and dandy and the way the rules actually work.

BUT... if the item was dropped in the square available for pick up, the strategy could become: drop an item to decrease load level to gain a chance of possibly getting 5 more actions and then spend only 1 action to pick the dropped item back up (gaining a possible net of 4 extra actions). This was far too heavy handed.

Though we thought it might be better to say that once dropped, you may not pick up that particular item(s) again this turn {if dropping is considered to happen before the dice are rolled}. In the end however, I am not sure this will work either and it may simply need to be agreed on that once dropped, only other players may pick up your dropped item. This did happen a few times and definately made players think twice about which route they were going to take. It was a nice twist.

Try it out, and let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.