Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the May/June 1944 turn for a World in Flames game being played in Arlington, Virginia. I am the Soviets and French, and Chris (CW), Scott (US/China - now Japan) and Ben (US/China) are the rest of the good guys. Kevin (Germany), Fritz (Japan) (Fritz has been relocated by his employer, alas...), and Peter (Italy) are the bad guys.

Optional rules of note include: Planes in Flames; offensive points (o-points); divisions but NOT guns nor ski divs; 2d10 combat & first loss is corps (with a few exceptions); randomized naval combat losses; partisans (with a "strat bomb" house rule); warlords; guards banner armies; city-based volunteers; Pablo's Simple Oil Rule; road & rail construction; LOC Vichy

Previous turns summary below the ==============

MAY/JUNE 1944 - HEAVY FIGHTING IN FRANCE; SOVIETS ROLL THRU THE UKRAINE; JAPAN CAPTURES CHENG-TU; MAJOR NAVAL BATTLE IN SOUTH CHINA SEA

Japan continues to torment China. Japanese bombers - including aircraft flying from carriers in the South China Sea - bombed Chiang's positions in and around Cheng-Tu heavily (wrecking the r. A spate of poor weather in late May wasn't enough for the KMT forces; in June Yamashita's armies launched a major offensive. By July 1, Cheng-Tu was in Japanese hands. The only city in central China still in Chinese hands is Lan-Chow, and Japanese forces are moving in its direction.

Japan was active elsewhere. In May they raided into the Bismarck Sea and captured Wewak (New Guinea), and landed south of the Allies in the Philippines.

Operating out of Brisbane, a major US carrier fleet, with support from the Royal Navy out of Calcutta), raided into the South China Sea. In late May and early June a couple of naval battles flared. Japan had the advantage of massive land-based air forces; the Allies had superior numbers of carriers and other ships. Despite being surprised (twice), the Allies stood and fought and eventually the Japanese were forced to retreat from the sea area. At the end of the battles, Japanese carriers Ryujo and Soryu were sunk, and the Akagi, Koryu, and Zuiho were damaged. For the Allies, the Hornet II, Ark Royal, and the battleship Wisconsin were all damaged. This doesn't tell the complete tale, however; Japan's land-based fighter forces suffered heavy losses, as did its naval air wing.

On to the Russian Front. The Germans in early May sent Stukas to disrupt the Russian armored spearhead northwest of Kiev, and fell back slightly in the Ukraine. Then the Soviets opened their offensive. First they recaptured Dnepropetrovsk on May 5. After an operational pause caused by unseasonable storms, the attacks continued. Kiev was taken on May 30. June 15 saw Smolensk surrender to Rossokovsky's Belorussian Front. And on June 25, the Red Army, hard on the heels of the retreating Germans, destroyed the Rumanians defending Odessa. In early June, the Soviets relieved Task Force Gort and took over the defense of Archangel.

Also in June the Soviets finally destroyed Persian resistance in Tehran. Unfortunately, anti-Soviet partisans immediately rose to seize the oil fields in Bandar Shapur. There have now been exactly as many anti-Soviet partisans in Persia (one), as anti-Axis ones in European Russia (one)...

Further east, a motley assortment of Soviet and Mongolian forces advanced southeast out of Chita. They captured the resources there and advanced into Manchuria. Stalin sent Vatutin's headquarters out there to command the Buryatia Front.

Perhaps the heaviest fighting of the entire period was in France. The US and British bombed up and down the entire German front in France, disorganizing many of the defenders. At this stage, the Western Allies have clear air superiority (Soviets have more bombers than the Germans and slightly more but clearly inferior fighters). In May the Western Allies destroyed German resistance in central France. In early June US armor - assisted by a massive paradrop - crossed the Seine northwest of Paris and broke through into Picardy. Meanwhile, British forces hit the Germans and Italians southwest of Paris.

The Germans scrambled to put troops in front of the armored spearheads near Lille. The Germans in Rouen, Paris, and west of Paris in mid-June counterattacked a weak point in the US lines (the resource SW of Rouen); they isolated the US paratroopers and armor to the east, but took heavy losses (mechanized corps) in doing so. The US and Commonwealth quickly recaptured that area and re-established contact with the Picardy Pocket; they also advanced further to the south of Paris.

Finally, the American campaign in South America continued. US and Brazilian troops declared war on Chile and captured Santiago without incident. Only Peru and Ecuador remain neutral in South America.

Build point cost of destroyed/damaged units: Germany 88, Japan 57, USA 33, Italy 20, USSR 18, China 10, Chile all, CW 7.

=============

SEP/OCT '39: Germany crushes Poland. Germany attacks Denmark, British occupy its northern island. Soviets occupy E Poland, Baltics. Japan takes Chengsha. US authorizes resources to China.

NOV/DEC '39: Japan makes more progress in southern China. Stalemate in Denmark. Snowy in Europe.

JAN/FEB '40: Italy enters war, captures Malta, sinks bunch of convoys.

MAR/APR '40: Axis attacks Yugoslavia; Rumania and Hungary join in. Yugoslavia conquers Albania. Germany conquers Netherlands. CW naval air turns back invasion force in Western Med. Japanese capture Kwei-Yang, and take Kunming unopposed.

MAY/JUNE '40: Belgium falls. Surprise invasion of Gibraltar fails. Zagreb falls to Axis, Belgrade surrounded. Japan assaults Sian but fails to take it. Pro-independence partisans in Malaysia. US freezes Japanese assets.

JUL/AUG '40: Germany cuts off French armies in Maginot, enters Paris after French government declares it an open city. Yugoslavia falls. Japan captures Si-An.

SEP/OCT '40: France falls, Level 2 Vichy. Free France established in French West Africa.

NOV/DEC '40: Japan occupies Indochina, captures Chang-Sha. US gears up. Germans move to Denmark, Poland.

JAN/FEB '41: United States imposes oil embargo on Japan. German attack on British in northern Denmark goes nowhere.

MAR/APR '41: US Congress passes War Appropriations Act. RAF sinks German u-boats in port, and RN sinks German u-boats in North Atlantic.

MAY/JUNE '41: Japan attacks Commonwealth and Netherlands East Indies. US Navy relocates to Pearl Harbor. Germany and allies invade Soviet Union, capture Kiev, Odessa, Brest-Litovsk, approach Dnieper River.

JULY/AUG '41: Japan declares war on the USA (based on accurate intelligence that the US was about to declare war on them) AND on the Soviet Union; invades Philippines, Siberia. Germans cross the Dnepr to the south of Dnepropetrovsk, capture Vitebsk and Gomel. Commonwealth capture Tobruk and Bardia.

SEP/OCT '41: Japanese take Vladivostok. Germans fail to capture Dnepropetrovsk, but advance on Leningrad and Smolensk. Commonwealth capture Benghazi.

NOV/DEC '41: US fails two attempts to declare war on Germany. Japan takes Singapore from partisans, but new partisans occupy oilfields of Palembang.

JAN/FEB '42: Germans take Kerch. Terrible weather and little action.

MAR/APR '42: USA declares war on Germany and Italy. Germans take Dnepropetrovsk.

MAY/JUNE '42: Germans take Leningrad and Smolensk; Japanese take Khabarovsk. Chinese in Chungking defeat a Japanese offensive. US marines take Majuro in the Marshall Islands.

JUL/AUG '42: Germans and Finns capture Archangel. British/Americans land in Brittany, take Lorient and Brest. Chungking holds against Japanese assault.

SEP/OCT '42: Mud in Russia - Kharkov holds against Germans, Italians. Allies, Axis reinforce French front. Japanese crush Vietnamese independence movement in Hanoi. Canadian subs disrupt Japanese shipping in South China Sea.

NOV/DEC '42: Germans take Stalino. US and friends invade Colombia. Attack fails vs Chungking.

JAN/FEB '43: Argentina joins Axis, takes Bolivia. Naval skirmishing in the Med, North Atlantic.

MAR/APR '43: Allies invade Vichy France (south coast). Japan takes Seychelles, US captures Eniwotok. Storms in Russia, little action. Chungking again holds out against a Japanese attack.

MAY/JUNE '43: Japanese invasion of Egypt fails utterly, and one carrier sunk/two damaged in the Red Sea. US/CW land near Bordeaux. Italy installs Fascist regime in Iraq. Germans capture Sevastapol.

JUL/AUG '43: Chungking falls. Massive bombing of Germany. Soviets take Kerch, repulsed at Stalino. W. Allies take St Malo, St Nazaire.

SEP/OCT '43: US and Brazil occupy Uruguay. Italy aligns Persia, but US/CW retake Syria. Soviets attack but make no headway.

NOV/DEC '43: Germans retreating in the East, abandon Kharkov and Stalino rather than be pocketed, lose Bryansk to Soviet assault. Soviets invade Persia. Japanese sink Yorktown, damage Massachusetts in port strike vs Calcutta. US takes Davao (south Philippines). W. Allies forces in Provence, western France link up, capture Tripoli.

JAN/FEB '44: Soviets cross the Dnepr. Allies conquer Saudi Arabia, liberate Kuwait.

MAR/APR '44: Brazil, US conquer Argentina; US takes Cuba. Vichy France collapses. Allies land on Sardinia. Mud in Russia, little progress for Red Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Walker
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Finally, the American campaign in South America continued. US and Brazilian troops declared war on Chile and captured Santiago without incident. Only Peru and Ecuador remain neutral in South America.

why make this war in South America?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastard_guy wrote:
Quote:

Excellent question! My US/CW ally shortly after the US entered the war decided to declare war on Colombia to gain the extra resources from it, to help Allied war production. Except they didn't know that by WIF rules, this would allow Germany to align Argentina...

So in WIF terms I think this was a pretty dumb idea. As it would have been in real life. It took significant US (and Brazilian) forces away from a more useful front and as I kept on telling my allies, every turn Argentina wasn't conquered (something like 2 years) was 3 or 4 free build points for Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI, it was only 3-4 BP after I (Germany) decided to "play them at their own game" and when I aligned Argentina, I also declared war on Boliva...conquering it and grabbing its resource (it only has a RES unit). This gave Argentina 2 factors and 2 resources, which generated 3 BP's per turn for the Axis for QUITE some time...

It also meant they could not just ignore it, as that was fairly significant production over the course of the game.

-K

wifwendell wrote:
Bastard_guy wrote:
Quote:

Excellent question! My US/CW ally shortly after the US entered the war decided to declare war on Colombia to gain the extra resources from it, to help Allied war production. Except they didn't know that by WIF rules, this would allow Germany to align Argentina...

So in WIF terms I think this was a pretty dumb idea. As it would have been in real life. It took significant US (and Brazilian) forces away from a more useful front and as I kept on telling my allies, every turn Argentina wasn't conquered (something like 2 years) was 3 or 4 free build points for Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kbernatz wrote:
Just FYI, it was only 3-4 BP after I (Germany) decided to "play them at their own game" and when I aligned Argentina, I also declared war on Boliva...conquering it and grabbing its resource (it only has a RES unit). This gave Argentina 2 factors and 2 resources, which generated 3 BP's per turn for the Axis for QUITE some time...

It also meant they could not just ignore it, as that was fairly significant production over the course of the game.

-K

wifwendell wrote:
Bastard_guy wrote:
Quote:

So in WIF terms I think this was a pretty dumb idea. As it would have been in real life. It took significant US (and Brazilian) forces away from a more useful front and as I kept on telling my allies, every turn Argentina wasn't conquered (something like 2 years) was 3or 4 free build points for Germany.

Sounds like a house rule waiting to be made, to avoid magical teleporting build points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A better house rule would be to stop st00pid Allied DOW's on S. American countries :-)

[oh, and a correction to Wendell's report - my understanding from Ben and Scott was that the Americans also had a couple carriers killed, not just damaged. They were keeping losses outside of our normal "loss cup", so there might be a few extra US losses that were not accounted for]

The past turn saw Germany hit by several opoint expenditures, including US supercombined + US superland...and with the US building something like 30 opoints per turn, I suspect it will only get worse!

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perhaps, although it is events like this that simultaneously give WiF its charm and make casual.readers wonder about how realistic WiF really is. Not complaining, just observing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbernatz wrote:

[oh, and a correction to Wendell's report - my understanding from Ben and Scott was that the Americans also had a couple carriers killed, not just damaged. They were keeping losses outside of our normal "loss cup", so there might be a few extra US losses that were not accounted for]

Goddammit they should know better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Noget
msg tools
mb
wifwendell wrote:
Japan continues to torment China. Japanese bombers - including aircraft flying from carriers in the South China Sea - bombed Chiang's positions in and around Cheng-Tu heavily

How can aircraft froms CVs in the SCS reach so far into China? Cheng-Tu is around 10 hexes away from the sea, meaning 20 range aircrafts to reach it.

I could missed something. I play Japan in our current game, currently in early '40. So there might be something to learn.

Yours,

Jesper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are playing without SiF, so using the classic counters. So two rules come into play here.

1) All aircraft values go up by 1 in '42 (I think) and by 2 in '44.

2) Japanese CV's (in classic) have a range equal to double their value.

So the 5 and 6 value CV's in '44 become 7 and 8 value CV's, which end up having a range of 14 and 16. Cheng-tu is 7 hexes (14 range) from the closest hex dot (e.g. take one of the ones next to Shanghai).

-K

P.S. Using this rule, we even were looking at a situation where we were going to use the Japanese fleet in the Red Sea to port strike the US fleet in Alexandria or Port Said! And with double range (though in '43 at the time), the big Shinano class CV would have a range of /14/ European hexes...which we were going to use to ground strike units in Syria!). Instead, our Japanese player tried to invade near Suez and rolled snake eyes....so much for the "glorious" Japanese Marines! :-)

(edit to add P.S.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbernatz wrote:
We are playing without SiF, so using the classic counters. So two rules come into play here.

1) All aircraft values go up by 1 in '42 (I think) and by 2 in '44.

2) Japanese CV's (in classic) have a range equal to double their value.

It's all legal. Utterly stupid IMHO, but clearly legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest: Arlington in Flames 23: France Liberated, Italy Invaded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.