Subject: [13e Stratege AAR] Angola winter session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ANGOLA:
Again in charge of one of the communist factions. This time, the red government in Luanda, the FAPLA led by Agostinho Neto.
MPLA is in the hands of my ally, the famous mountains' Calimero.

July-September 1975 The first three months clearly favor the Communists. Pravda will even send his famous reporter Domitrov to inform the free world about the red victories.

End July, we are in the lead 18 to 19 (low is good).

The set up gives an edge to the pro-western factions in coastal cities and the center of the map. But these areas are far from their reinforcements.
Communists quickly gain a firm control of the country main roads. They have no trouble in creating a buffer zone around the capital city.
Pro-Western cities fall one after the other, while resources remain low in both camps. UNITA takes time to mobilize while the FNLA focus on Cabinda. Turn 1, 2 and 3 see constant Communist military victories (4 VP).

Unfortunately for us, it creates a constant flow of reinforcements from Zaire and South Africa. UNITA and FNLA columns look more and more dangerous.
Diplomacy is also difficult as we lose 1 victory point on turn 1 without results. The Bulgarian and Chinese ambassadors love to offer us chocolates (6 congratulation messages during the game).
The Soviet equipment will always be poor: no less than 15 MIG squadrons are slaughtered. Air supremacy will temporarily become pro-Western (very rare!). In addition, I do not count armored cars destroyed by western anti-tank missiles.

October 1975
Turn 4 is a turning point. Cabinda falls (1PV). Defenders had neither mine nor missile nor air support. UNITA begins a steady march forward. But the Communists lose no more victory points this turn.

November 1975
Turn 5, order is to close the hatches.
My ally, El Calimero (MPLA) faces powerful UNITA onslaughts and his defense is blown into pieces. We lose both the turn and the diplomatic phase. MPLA favors the strengthening of its forces to the detriment of diplomacy. The communist factions have still difficulties in creating mental fluid between each other during the covert aid phase bid.
Luanda expects a strong FNLA offensive. Their columns look irresistible as they gather huge amounts of troops and material along the coast.

December 1975

Turn 6, the central government takes the western thrust while the MPLA resists thanks to reinforcements. Zairians advance to Caxito just north of the Capital.
All red reserves are called back to Luanda. And eventually my force more than matches the opponent FNLA column. Jungle areas around the capital are occupied for support.
We lose a military victory point. But at last I find the mental connection with El Calimero. So we are still one VP ahead thanks to propaganda at end turn ! We grow fat from Bulgarian cultural attaché food !

January 1976

The loss of coastal towns north of the capital finally convinced the Cubans to help me and I get a regiment of engineers and the rocket launchers. With three regiments of artillery, armor, armored cars, engineers and the bulk of my infantry, I take Caxito back easily at the beginning of turn 7. At the same time, FNLA fails twice to assault Carmona. He is shocked... but the position was much stronger than he thought.
UNITA gives the advantage to the pro-Western. He crosses the jungle in the middle of the country to threaten the coastal road. But the turn ends with deep infiltration of FPLA taking Maquela of Zombo on the Zaire border.
However, the FNLA stops the last government offensive in Ambriz.

At this point, the 13e Stratege Prezidente acts as UN secretary and orders ceasefire.

Bulgarian and Chinese ambassadors chocolates finally tipped the balance in favor of communism. 1 VP propaganda victory !!

Viva Angola Libre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR.
Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sacco
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sauron was not of mortal flesh, he could never again appear fair to the eyes of Men, yet his spirit arose & returned to Mordor. There he dwelt, dark & silent, until he wrought a new guise, an image of malice & hatred made visible; the Eye of Sauron.
badge
One moment only it stared out as from some great window immeasurably high there stabbed a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye. The Eye was not turned on them, it gazed north but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the picture under the comment: Their columns look irresistible as they gather huge amounts of troops and material along the coast.

Pictures are more powerful when they reinforce the text.

Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report - sounds like you had a lot of fun in a very close game.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
Nice report - sounds like you had a lot of fun in a very close game.

JR

Thanks. We had effectively a lot of fun. Proof is that the same people (all newbees before) want to play again in the coming weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a new game last weekend and trained another newbee.

Communist victory on turn 7 while both alliance were at 13 points. Very nice game experience again. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.