Paladin Way
msg tools
This can arise when a tile is drawn that has the Mage symbol and the tile is used to complete a city or road that has the witch already on it, and the player moves the witch to fulfill the mage symbol move requirement.

Based upon the sequence of play, it would seem the answer is yes:
- place tile, completing city or road
- move witch off the completed city/road to fulfill the mage symbol required action
- optionally place follower
- score the city/road without incurring the witch's penalty, since the witch is no longer on the feature

However, this seems against the spirit of the gameplay, and no similar action can be done with the Mage, and the rules are not clear. In fact, in the rules, it says "When a road or city with a mage or witch is completed ... the witch halves the total points for the completed feature" (thus suggesting the scoring effect of the witch might be locked in when the feature is COMPLETED, so that the witch affects the scoring whether on not she is moved by the player.

We have been playing based upon the sequence of play and allowing the move without taking the penalty, but all agree it seems against the spirit of the game.

Does anyone know the official answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paladinway1 wrote:
However, this seems against the spirit of the gameplay, and no similar action can be done with the Mage, and the rules are not clear.

The rules are perfectly clear. It is not only allowed, but actually a deliberate part of the game.
And natually the rules of the two actions are not similar: they are two different pawns; they are not supposed to work the same.

So, in MY turn I will certainly move the witch, if it is in my way. Unless I can't score anything myself and YOU will lose lots of points if when your witch-infested city is scored!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.