Subject: How about a deluxe version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kpl Min
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Think that will ever happen? I LOVE at his game. But the components stink. Cheapest made game I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Cleveland
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinplarson wrote:
Cheapest made game I've seen.

You haven't seen many games. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still a good idea though. I'd buy a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The women's national team pulls off a stunning victory at the World Cup! U-S-A!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be shocked if this ever happened. For one thing, the components are perfectly adequate (the only thing I'd change if I could would be to make the building abilities more obvious, maybe by putting icons on the tiles). More significantly, the only Alea title that has undergone the "deluxe version" treatment is Puerto Rico, and the original version has probably sold 10 times the number of games as Burgundy. So anyone who wants a prettier game should probably do the pimping themselves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I have many with much worse components.

Yeah, I laminated the player boards. It was dreadful. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinplarson wrote:
Think that will ever happen? I LOVE at his game. But the components stink. Cheapest made game I've seen.

The quality is adequate for the type of game, and less-cheaper components wouldn't improve the gameplay but would require it to carry a price greater than the quite reasonable one it does now. I think the dice are quite hefty, and they may outweigh all other components aside from the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinplarson wrote:

Agree with the sentiment above -- I have seen games with far worse components. Just read the threads about Ora et Labora and the "tissue paper" controversy.

Also, watch what you ask for. If you've ever bought the deluxe version of Caylus with its muted tones, brown board and nearly same color cubes, you'll see that the original game is far easier to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
kevinplarson wrote:
Cheapest made game I've seen.

You haven't seen many games. shake

True. It is the ONLY game in his collection cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kpl Min
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ha. Well, I am a newer gamer, but I do have mainly Games of Wonders titles right now. Haven't figured out how to log my titles or even rank things here yet. So I'm a noob.

But I still think it's pretty crappy and so do most reviewers, I've found. I'd pay more for a better version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kpl Min
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How do you add to your collection here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rachfal
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinplarson wrote:
How do you add to your collection here?

On each game page, there is a section at the bottom called "User Information". One of the options is "Add a copy to your collection".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjo Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a deluxe version with higher quality player mats, thicker pieces, and some nice custom dice.

What I truly love about this game currently is it's price point. It's so easy to recommend because it can be found for under $30, and you get way more game for that money than most games twice that price.

I'm also super proud that the game has achieved such a high rank on the Geek given it's price and component quality. Burgundy is a triumph of awesome gameplay over flashy components and themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjo221 wrote:
I'd love to see a deluxe version with higher quality player mats, thicker pieces, and some nice custom dice.

What I truly love about this game currently is it's price point. It's so easy to recommend because it can be found for under $30, and you get way more game for that money than most games twice that price.

I'm also super proud that the game has achieved such a high rank on the Geek given it's price and component quality. Burgundy is a triumph of awesome gameplay over flashy components and themes.

I agree. I'd love to see thicker player mats, and maybe even a better insert for keeping the pieces organized (I'd love to have a separate bin for each distinct tile type). I'm also thinking of substituting some of the silver coin pieces from my Dominion expansions for the silverlings, just because I'm a sucker for aesthetics.

However, when I think about the fact that I paid just $20.99 in total for this game, I'm perfectly happy with what I received. Thicker player mats and flashier silverlings certainly would look nice, but the current version of the game is a fantastic value at its price point. Since I'm new to this world of board games, I of course want so many different games I read about...but their prices typically make me hesitant to pull the trigger. The Castles of Burgundy was one of those games that caught my attention, and when I discovered how affordable it was, I was able to make the purchase with confidence. I haven't really played yet (just went through a mock game to teach myself all the rules), but I'm thinking it's going to be a hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.