Subject: First review on BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles carper
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I decided to write this review after about 30 or so plays, so I hope this helps anyone that is thinking of buying this game.

I am not going to go over components or mechanics. There are many of other forums and video's that can help you with that. This is strictly my opinion of the game after plays.

When I first got my copy of Kingdom Builder I pulled it out of the box and played it with my wife. We played 5 games in a row, and much to my dismay, I was dissapointed with it. The game was very quick and seemed like it lacked s since of deph. We put it on the game shelf for about a week, not thinking much about it (other than the $50 I spent on it at my local game shop), then a friend came over.

The second round was played with 3 people. The game supprisingly added depth. With 3 players it seemed like the perfect lite Euro game. Our purpose for buying the game was to get our friends who are not typical "gammers" into gamming. The game lasted longer, but not too long. The strategy was at a moderate level, and the randomness of the cards was refreshing. It was a very good combination of luck and startegy. A game that you wouldn't get fustrated if you lost while at the same time being fun to play. We played 3 player games for a while. Each one felt the same. The cities / objectives were fun while not being overpowered. Just a good game.

This past week we had a fellow couple over. One of our gamming couples. We decided to try out the 4 player game. The feel of the game changed drastically. The strategy really comes out in the 4 player game. The luck factor of the cards can be annoying but to me it added to the startegy. It made you need to get certain objective and cities. After playing four 4player games i almost had a headache. Not in the bad way, but in the type of way that I get if I play chess too much.

In summery, This game is weird. I have never played a game that plays this way. Adding a player or subtracting a player drastically changes the mood and the complexity of the game. I personally really really like this game. Its easy to learn and easy to teach. As a disclamier... I love to teach games and love to get people into games. This game is perfect for me. What I tend to do is break the game up into two 2 player boards and then when everyone gets the hang of it bring on the 4 player game. It works great for my goals. In the end you have to make your own decission. But this is the only game I have personally played that is good for all different ages and complexity of thinking.

I hope this helps anyone that is trying to buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy Scarlett
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
Not Necessarily Inaccurate Videos at- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A6D4E8F2B74B110
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been iffy about buying this one hoping someone else would buy it or it would show up at a con so I could play it before committing the $$$ to buy it. I'll remember your suggestion about playing with 3 or more gamers, though. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy Winand
United States
Lincoln Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost a different game with more than two players, but I love both! Two players is much less tense but you have more options and you have the oppurtunity to plan more efficiently! 3+ is much more interactive and you have to keep adapting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the expansion helps the game at 2p. And 5p is even tighter than at 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I've found the expansion helps the game at 2p. And 5p is even tighter than T 4.

Agreed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickie Pruden
Australia
Varsity Lakes
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this for Christmas and have played seven games so far with 2, 3 & 4 players. I find it to be great fun and an excellent light game that everyone picked up quickly. I agree with your comments that it changes quite a bit as you add more players, my wife enjoys 3 - 4 player games much more than 2 player games.
I've enjoyed it that much I ordered the expansion so looking forward to seeing what that will add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Green archer needs food badly!
badge
I am to misbehave.
mb
Good review. thumbsup

Personally, I don't much care for the game. It is a good game mechanically speaking but like most gateway type games it suffers from a sameness from play to play, for me at least. After my first few play throughs I felt I had gotten all I could from it and had little interest in playing it just for the fun of it - there are other games that scratch similar itches for me that I enjoy more.

That being said it is one of the better gateway games. I think ticket to ride is too mundane (you never really see set collection is heavier weight games) and catan too complicated (I enjoy it but play feels heavier then it is). Most people I have exposed carcassonne too feel it too childish (which is a shame as it is one of my favs), but KB really does a good job of keeping it light but also introducing euro mechanics you'll find in heavier games (area control mainly and most importantly to me, worrying about what your opponents are doing and possibly blocking them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
Good review. thumbsup

Personally, I don't much care for the game. It is a good game mechanically speaking but like most gateway type games it suffers from a sameness from play to play, for me at least. After my first few play throughs I felt I had gotten all I could from it and had little interest in playing it just for the fun of it - there are other games that scratch similar itches for me that I enjoy more.

That being said it is one of the better gateway games. I think ticket to ride is too mundane (you never really see set collection is heavier weight games) and catan too complicated (I enjoy it but play feels heavier then it is). Most people I have exposed carcassonne too feel it too childish (which is a shame as it is one of my favs), but KB really does a good job of keeping it light but also introducing euro mechanics you'll find in heavier games (area control mainly and most importantly to me, worrying about what your opponents are doing and possibly blocking them).
What other games scratch a similar itch for you but are better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.