5 Posts

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ?» Forums » General

Subject: Why aren't Israel and Syria connected? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yaron Feldheim
Israel
flag msg tools
Hi all, so being an Israeli this kind of bothered me while playing the game. I guess the question is mainly to Volko, though perhaps others could guess the answer. Why aren't Syria and Israel connected? They have a rather large shared border, and terrorist movement through this area is known to have occurred. My guess is that was a balancing decision for the game, though still that's kind of weird.

Also, something that bothered me less but still made me wonder: Why isn’t Israel connected to Schengen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Yaron! My guess was that the Israeli-Syrian border was fortified and patrolled heavily enough that it would be a riskier way into Israel than others such as Lebanon, Egypt, Jordan, air, or sea. But it was just a guess.

The Schengen connections similarly represent easier routes into Europe. Among the most scrutiny I have experienced as a traveller was flying into Frankfurt from Ben Gurion on El Al. That personal experience probably colored my assumptions here.

In terms of design for general effect, I did not want Israel to seem too easy for jihadists to get into and out of.

In the end, the connections on the game map are of course gross simplifications and, to reduce clutter, had to be limited somewhere, often arbitrarily, I admit. Much is left out. Note, for example, that there is no way in the game to enter my country across its border with Mexico...

Best regards! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agung Waspodo
Indonesia
Depok
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Volko mentioned Mexico, I was also wondering why central dan south America was also left out of the map. Maybe, more parts of the world would be incorporated into the map for Labyrinth 2 or something, crossing my fingers..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Feldheim
Israel
flag msg tools
Hi Volko, thanks for the quick response! It’s quite awesome you find the time to answer questions in this forum.

Anyway I assumed as you said, that mechanically the idea was that getting to Israel wouldn’t be too easy. This is especially true as Syria is an attractive country for the Jihadist to major jihad in, being adversary, so perhaps making it a neighbor of Israel would be problematic (For example, Abbas requires no Islamic Rule bordered, and that would therefore weaken the card). I think only in about half the games I played a cell arrived to Israel, and usually it got there by event.
About the Syrian-Israeli border, well that is partly true, and perhaps in some way it is the most fortified border Israel has (though the border with Lebanon is quite similar), still that kind of bothered me while playing.

About the Schengen connection to Israel, lol ! Sorry to hear, but yeah, I can see the logic in that.
Generally I’m not sure the way Europe is connected to Muslim countries is completely realistic, as I assume it tries to show that terrorists from countries that were colonialist colonies of European countries have easier access to these countries. If that was true, I would connect for example Pakistan and the U.K.

About the US border with Mexico: I agree you can’t really go into such details in a board game, though I doubt that this border was ever used by terrorists in reality. Like Agung stated here, adding Central America and South America as countries could have been nice, perhaps in future versions or expansions of the game that could be considered.

So for conclusion, when making a game I guess you have to balance realism with balanced gaming, and in the end making a fun game is what’s important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that connections to Central and South America could be better handled by Event cards... including them as full countries would detract from the "War on Terror in the Middle East" focus of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.