6 Posts

The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » Reviews

Subject: It's almost like Settlers of Agricola rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Generic Pseudonym
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought The Castles of Burgundy a while back and finally have gotten to play it a few times; you have clicked on this review and that's why we're here.

FYI This is my first real review, I'm pretty much winging it, and I despise subjective rating systems. I will upload no pictures.

Components: 7/10
Theme: GREAT! (If you like Renaissance-era stuff, and I do.)
Gameplay: Engrossing
Analysis Paralysis: 4/5
Player Interaction: Low
Fun:

Components
Yeah, the player boards are really thin and flimsy, but, apart from that, the components aren't half bad. The chits are chits and the dice are nice. Once you get used to the iconography on the knowledge tiles the rubber'll hit the road and you'll be off to the races. The iconography really isn't that bad either; it's just a bit overwhelming because you have, like, twenty-six yellow knowledge tiles and several buildings.

Everything on the player board and the central board is quite well done. The central board has a place for everything, and everything gets put in its place. Well designed.

The player boards are well designed, also. There is a place for your used dice, a place to put your goods to sell, a place to put your sold goods, a place to put your silverlings (money), a place to put your workers, a place to put your tiles waiting to be placed, a place to put your placed tiles, a section explaining what all the buildings do, and a place explaining what you can do on your turn.

And all this is done in a visually-pleasing manner to which my OCD abides.

Theme
This game is about expanding your estate in Renaissance-era France. The theme is great. However, every theme is pasted on. But if your imagination sucks than the theme might not appeal to you. (Sorry to be so blunt but it's what I feel.) If you had boring history teachers during high school and college, the theme might not appeal to you, either.

Gameplay
The gameplay is engrossing; that is to say, you're really kept involved, even when it isn't your turn. As there really isn't any hidden knowledge (everyone's player boards, tiles on the player board, and central board are in the open) you can plan your next turn while your opponents are executing their turns.

The game is takes place over five phases, each phase consisting of five rounds, for a total of 25 turns per player. Basically, each turn you roll two dice, whose rolls you can manipulate using workers, to take actions. For two silverlings you can buy one tile each turn. Dice rolls also determine where you can place your purchased tiles.

Some tiles allow you to take other actions, some give you points, some let you change the rules even more . . . you get the idea.

Analysis Paralysis
Yeah, there's a lot.

Player Interaction
Apart from "I'm gonna take this so you can't" there really isn't too much player interaction. Which is a good thing, in my view. This game is about making your own estate as large as it can be; why would you help your neighbor? It's not like Settlers, where you're settling an island and have to help each other.

Fun
This game is fun. Not Apples to Apples "hahaha I laid a card that says worms are delicious isn't that funny?!?!" kind of fun, but the kind of fun that you get from forming a plan, sticking to the plan, and looking back and seeing that you won or lost based on your plan and the actions you took. It's more satisfying than fun, sorta like the feeling you got after you built a Lego castle back in the day.

Final Thoughts
I really enjoy this game. The dice make it a bit like Settlers, the tiles (which can be taken only once per phase, and different tiles come out as the game progresses) reminds me of Agricola. I was a bit skeptical at the start because I normally dislike games that give a ton of points (and you can have a ton of points at the end), but it all seems to fit. Like, I'd hate it if a game of Agricola ended with a score of 156-142, I mean, you're struggling to farm here. But as die Burgen von Burgund has aristocracy and estate-building as it's theme the glut of points seems to make sense.

Like the review? Hate it? You can make your opinion known in the comments section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+thumbsup+ for reminding me of that feeling after I completed my Lego castle back in the day.

Additionally, a good review. Not the most detailed and quite opinionated, but each point was backed up with reasons and it gives you a flavour of what the game entails.

I shall watch for more reviews!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjo Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the review title! My game group always jokes about Burgundy in this way too.

This game is like every great euro put together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Generic Pseudonym
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words. I wanted to try my hand at reviewing a few of my games, and The Castles of Burgundy just happens to be my group's favorite right now.

Yeah, Legos rock. So glad my parents kept mine so that I can build with my kids now.

Also, I take the opinionated stuff as a compliment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Generic Pseudonym
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! My group just played this last night with a newcomer and he was able to pick it right up. Must be from all the Settlers and Agricola he's played . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmganey wrote:
Also, I take the opinionated stuff as a compliment.

It was definitely meant as a compliment. I think some reviews just say whether they like it or not, and make bold claims about bad points and good points. You actually reason as to why you think that something is good or bad.

Opinions are fine, and everyone is welcome to one. But they are just opinions and unless you say why (and things do not have to be rational) then the opinion is not helpful as we cannot grasp what it is about the game that you like or dislike.

You do give reasons though, and it makes for a good review. And I enjoyed reading it, reviews that are written in a fairly conservative manner are good, but it is refreshing to have a change of pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.