Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi im wanting to do solo games on vassal but really am an idiot when it comes to that piece of software. Is there a how to guide somewhere?

thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure... but will this help?

Guide to Playing Labyrinth PBeM on VASSAL

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look at that and its more a guide to make it work on pbem after you know how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured you had already seen that, but... ya never know.

OK... let me see if I can help. I will start at the "beginning". Go to http://www.vassalengine.org/ and download the Vassal program. I believe the current one is 3.2.2 for Windows.

Then, install it. It is about 17 MB and is an Executable file.

Go to the Modules link and download the Modules: LabyrinthFinal_v2.vmod. You can also download the LabyrinthFinal_Solitaire_v2.vmod for those Solitaire games.

Create a folder with a Labyrinth title, and place both the LabyrinthFinal_v2.vmod and the LabyrinthFinal_Solitaire_v2.vmod in that "new" folder. (this isn't neccessary, but I do this because that way I keep all my Vassal Mods and games separated) Place the Labyrinth Folder inside the Vassal folder. It looks like this on our computer:

Local disc (C:)> Program Files> Vassal> Labyrinth

Double click on the LabyrinthFinal_v2.vmod. Then, it will ask you for a user name and a password only one time and won't ask again. This is for when you play by email (PBEM) and it will show your name to the other person. The password is so only you have control over your side. Such as only YOU will be able to see your cards, etc.

After that, you will see a screen open up along the top of your comptuer and you will select FILE in the top left. You will have options of selecting Scenarios, Load Game (Previous games started) Preferences and Quit. Select Scenarios and choose the scenario you want to play. A box should pop open and ask what you want to do... play US, Jihads, or SOLO. I believe the Observer is for when you just want to watch guys play "live" online, but when playing solo OR PBEM, you won't use that. Remember, the SOLO in the Labyrinth: The War on Terror MOD is for playing a 2 person game by yourself, and it isn't the same "SOLO" as the Solitaire game. The Solitaire version is the one that is the SOLO game as described in the rule book. You would need to double click on the LabyrinthFinal_Solitaire_v2.vmod to play the Solitaire version of the game. This only allows you to play SOLO or be an observer.

All the Vassal mods work pretty much the same way.

Hope this helps?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for PBEM, start the game by selecting the scenario that you and your email buddy wants to play. Then, select a SIDE (US or Jihad).

Say you picked the US side.

(Geez, it has been a while so if I miss a step, forgive me)

FIRST THING you want to do after you pick a side and the gameboard screen pops up. CLICK FILE, then click BEGIN LOGFILE. You now create a "name" for your game. Such as; Jim_VS_Tim_Labyrinth_01 hit save (Make sure your save path is in the Labyrinth folder). The log file comments are not needed and you can just cancel that. OK, now your game file is "recording" all your moves and everything you do.

Click on the US Hand at the top of the page. Then click on the black square that says, Draw Card until you have the correct amount of cards in "your hand". IF it says, HIDDEN, your opponent will not be able to see it. If you drag the card to the "table", your opponent will NOT be able to see it until you 'FLIP' it over. RIGHT CLICK on the card for "options". There are shortcuts for this, such as Ctrl F to flip the card rather than right clicking ON the card.

Markers tab show what markers are available to use in the game, same as the cardboard markers in a 'real' game.

I never bother with the RETIRE Button.

Remember, the RIGHT CLICK is your friend! Right click on any marker, BOX, or Area on the board and you will see your options of what you can do there. I cannot go through them all, but you will get the idea. You will need to "play" with it to see what I mean. However, if you ever do anything wrong and you want to BACKUP, there is a "Backup" arrow at the top left of your screen which will "undo" a move you have made and want to change.

OK... so now you are done "your turn" and you want to finish. Click on FILE in the top left again, and select End Logfile. NOW you can quit your game. Now that you have quit your game, go to your Vassal/labyrinth folder and copy your saved game file to your desktop (Or whatever) and now you can email that to your buddy. You do NOT have to zip file it or anything like that, just send it normally as an attachment. Your game file should look like this:

Jim_VS_Tim_Labyrinth_01.vlog Then, your buddy will play his side and send you one back. When you get it back, it should be like this: Jim_VS_Tim_Labyrinth_02.vlog. You and your buddy will need to change the 'turn number' every turn. YOU will always be the ODD numbers. Otherwise, you will overwrite the old file and if you "mess up" then that could cause problems.

To load a saved game LOG FILE: Click on FILE top left and select LOAD Game and then click on the saved game turn you want to watch. Click on the arrow to move to the next "scene" and when it is done, you won't be able to click "forward" anymore and a box will pop up and ask if you want to start a new logfile. You can click OK to start YOUR TURN. OR... click NO if you are not ready. The trick is to just sit down and play with the Vassal Labyrinth mod. It isn't really bad to work with. I like it.

IF you are still confused, let me know. I'll see what I can do.

Hope this helps too!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Moran
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats all great :) however - its the next steps i need help with. Im going to play a couple of solo games with my hard copy. But its about having the cards in a set order for the jihadist and should i need to discard a random card or whatever. Ill have a hammer at it and ask should i need any direct pointers.

Thanks for those though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
count_zero99uk wrote:
Thats all great however - its the next steps i need help with. Im going to play a couple of solo games with my hard copy. But its about having the cards in a set order for the jihadist and should i need to discard a random card or whatever. Ill have a hammer at it and ask should i need any direct pointers.

Thanks for those though.

To randomly discard cards, load your cards one at a time into the "Random Card Draw Box" at the top of your screen. Then, right click and type in the number of cards you want to randomly draw out. Click and drag the top of the card to your game board and then right click and select Discard. This randomly picks cards from your own hand to discard.

Hope that is "partially" what you meant. I am sure you will figure it out.

anyway... have fun!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.