Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
664 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Unpopular gaming opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] snarky_geeklist [+] let's_you_and_him_fight [+] [View All]
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
What opinions do you have about specific games or mechanics/forms/gametypes that go against consensus?

I'll start:

I really don't think much of Carcassonne.

Fluxx is a brilliant game easily on par with Uno and its randomness is exactly why it's so great (and I say that as soomeone who dislikes randomness in games).

Can't stop actually has a lot of interesting choices.

There's your starters

EDIT: Oh, and Small World is dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill R
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troll Trouble had so much potential, I was really looking forward to it taking off, but then no one really pushed it on so it never really went anywhere. I also thought the box art was some of the problem.

I also used to really like Monkey Auto Races Also My Little Pony: Dream Castle was great but not everyone is into the spinner on cardboard like I was way back when
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yes, I know "faith" is misspelled ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the carcassonne vote. I can be coaxed into playing but it is lackluster. I feel the same way about Settlers of Catan, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Try Carcassonne as a 2-player game and provide both players with a list of the tile distribution to consult during the game -- still so lackluster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
blindfaeth wrote:
I second the carcassonne vote. I can be coaxed into playing but it is lackluster. I feel the same way about Settlers of Catan, too.

Same. They're not bad, per se, but they don't grab me.

The iOS prices for the digital versions are extortionate as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We got a different experience out of Carcasonne when we let every player have a 'hand' of 3 tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Lawrence is right. Carcassonne is best as a competitive 2-player game. If the players don't understand the tile distribution it's an ugly jigsaw puzzle with square pieces, but if they do there are lots of interesting tactics.

I don't like Settlers, but only because I don't like trading or negotiation games.

I don't like Fluxx, but more so because of the "potentially interminable" aspect than the "overly random" one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't know where to start here. Every time I open my mouth I seem to regurgitate a cacophony of unpopular gaming opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't like Settlers either - it's dull and frustrating.

I pretty much don't like trading games anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:
What opinions do you have about specific games or mechanics/forms/gametypes that go against consensus?

I don't like deck-building games and I'm not really sure why Dominion is so popular. It's really quite repetitive and way too luck-based, but people's bias against dice makes luck through cards more acceptable, it seems. Each turn it's usually obvious what to do given the hand I drew, so I spend more energy constantly shuffling cards than thinking strategically, and at the start of the game when the decks are small it's just awkward to shuffle effectively. Most of them take way too long to setup proportional to the time spent playing. And, they feel like wanna-be CCGs to me (but lacking the more fun half). I'd prefer playing a CCG over a deck-builder any day...

... and don't get me started on LCGs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan is.....ok, but the expansions make it too long and really annoying (like Monopoly and all the house rules).

Dominion feels soulless.

Puerto Rico isn't fun.

"Vegimeeples" for Agricola just clutter up the game. The animals are good though as they add to the separaion between meat and the vege discs.

Battlestar Galactica isn's cool in any way, shape or form. Nor is saying frak, toaster or anything about cylons. DEFINITELY not "so say we all" which just sounds like something a suicide pact cult would say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's where I'll start.

Martin Wallace games make me want to plunge an icepick into my eye.

Flying Frog's production design model is genius.

Comic Sans is the font of the future and should be used for everything, board games included. YOU HEARD ME. I'll fight each and every one of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe is a harmless card game which badly misses tanks (ducks for cover).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sharky6000 wrote:
darkmorgado wrote:

I don't like deck-building games and I'm not really sure why Dominion is so popular. It's really quite repetitive and way too luck-based, but people's bias against dice makes luck through cards more acceptable, it seems. Each turn it's usually obvious what to do given the hand I drew, so I spend more energy constantly shuffling cards than thinking strategically, and at the start of the game when the decks are small it's just awkward to shuffle effectively. Most of them take way too long to setup proportional to the time spent playing. And, they feel like wanna-be CCGs to me (but lacking the more fun half). I'd prefer playing a CCG over a deck-builder any day...

I don't see Dominion as all that luck-based, really, not compared with dice. You're basically aiming to stack your deck in such a way that the the randomness becomes much less important - you can absolutely change the probability that the card you want will come up.

Whereas one particular d6 always has the same probability of rolling a given number, whatever else you do in the game, assuming you don't, I dunno, melt it or write different numbers on it with a Sharpie or something.

Not that I'm saying that luck doesn't play a part in deck-builders, but the fact that good Dominion players will almost always crush new players would suggest that the luck aspect has much less impact than skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan is still a great game.

AT/hybrid/Weuro designs are going to continue to take over the hobby. Due to a perceived staleness in the "pure euro" category (esp. at the light/mid end) and also the high price of oil depressing the market for really cool plastic bits

Boardgames to continue to grow while video-game buying continues to crater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The opinion that I have that seems to be most unpopular when I share it with people I know is "I am not a nerd".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Birkbeck
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't like fantasy, and I'm become more reluctant to play or purchase a game because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
I'm not really sure why Dominion is so popular. It's really quite repetitive and way too luck-based, but people's bias against dice makes luck through cards more acceptable, it seems. Each turn it's usually obvious what to do given the hand I drew

It should be so - 90% of time you should be able to play everything you drew (if you fail to do so regularly, there must have been a serious mistake earlier in the game), and most often it is quite straightforward what is the correct play order.

But this is not what the game's about. A real decision is what cards do you add to and remove from your deck. It is a game of building a deck, not of playing the cards. Those decisions influence what you draw later and what you can play in subsequent turns.

By the way, in later expansions cards get a bit more complicated and there are way more interesting decisions regarding playing the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Battlestar Galactica isn's cool in any way, shape or form. Nor is saying frak, toaster or anything about cylons. DEFINITELY not "so say we all" which just sounds like something a suicide pact cult would say.

Only a toaster would say that.

Smoo wrote:
Comic Sans is the font of the future and should be used for everything, board games included. YOU HEARD ME. I'll fight each and every one of you.

To the death?

I don't think Core Worlds and Mage Knight count as deck-building games and I don't like either of them.
I think Saboteur is a crappy game. Saboteur 2 makes it better, though, as your actions don't immediately reveal your affiliation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:

I'm with you on this one sharky. FFG's product listings at sites like "Coolstuff" have evolved into page after page of LCG expansions, literally hundreds of them it seems.

Beyond the Core sets, i wouldn't even know where to begin with their LCGs that have been around for a few years. Total clusterf#*ks and exactly the type of chaos my mind rejects. Once upon a time FFG was a boardgame company whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
We got a different experience out of Carcasonne when we let every player have a 'hand' of 3 tiles.

This is the only way we play, 2 player or more. The play feels less boxed in--you can plan ahead. Or does it become more combative? And the game seems to move much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Practically everything I have ever said is an unpopular opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When played as designed, I really enjoy Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:
Small World is dull.

That's not a controversial opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Antiquity's printing is really, really bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.