Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
664 Posts
[1]  Prev «  16 , 17 , 18 , 19 , 20  Next »  [27] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Unpopular gaming opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] snarky_geeklist [+] let's_you_and_him_fight [+] [View All]
Robert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
A family that would like to sit down for a game together after the kitchen table is cleared is supposed to play Warhammer? Those games you slam have a role. An important one at that.

False response. What you describe is NOT choosing between one longer game and several shorter games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
PiIsExactly3 wrote:
Ticket to Ride is not fun, Dominion is boring, Settlers of Catan is a chore, and my favorite gateway game is Risk.

Here! Here! The only version of Catan worth playing is Star Trek: Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Minivann wrote:
I'm not sure how you could alter Catan to have the same practical effect as one of the iterations of the Free Parking house rules.

Goods lost to the robbers go into some sort of kitty, which you can collect if you are the next person to roll a 7? It would certainly encourage people to keep smaller hands, if they knew others might get their paws on their hard earned/randomly allotted goods.

I am not sure I would like to play with this rule, but just thought about it as an answer to your musing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, a form of that Catan "Free Parking variant" idea could be good for Catan: Cities & Knights. The idea would that anything taken by the Robber would be maintained there until the Robber was chased off by a Knight, whereupon the Knight's controlling player would get the resources from the Robber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LCGs are CCGs in sheep's clothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
darkmorgado wrote:
What opinions do you have about specific games or mechanics/forms/gametypes that go against consensus?

I don't like deck-building games and I'm not really sure why Dominion is so popular. It's really quite repetitive and way too luck-based, but people's bias against dice makes luck through cards more acceptable, it seems. Each turn it's usually obvious what to do given the hand I drew, so I spend more energy constantly shuffling cards than thinking strategically, and at the start of the game when the decks are small it's just awkward to shuffle effectively. Most of them take way too long to setup proportional to the time spent playing. And, they feel like wanna-be CCGs to me (but lacking the more fun half). I'd prefer playing a CCG over a deck-builder any day...

... and don't get me started on LCGs!

I stopped at Dominion luck-based. You mean this Dominion?
NO WAY, did you even play it? The better player Wins 98,54% of the time.
Check out this site: http://dominionstrategy.com/ Still think it's luck-based?

EDIT: And on the topic: TtR is really boring, Arkham Horror is way too easy and long to be worth the time, and LotR:LCG is a just a typical FFG cash-cow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:

And yet it's a fact that some of us prefer our wolves well-dressed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Berger
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 18? Nobody is reading this by now, so I can get all this off my chest safe in the knowledge that nobody will ever know.....

7 Wonders is crap. Completely overrated and dull as anything. Interesting how everyone I know who raved about it when it was first released aren't playing it anymore. If you want to do something big, don't be ashamed to spend two hours doing it - don't try to fit it into 30 minutes.

Martin Wallace has lost the plot. From gaming genius to churning rubbish. What the heck happened to Mythotopia? Canned because people slagged of A Few Acres Of Snow? Don't get mad, get even Mr Wallace! Give them the game how it was meant to be!

FFG rulebooks suck. A typical rulebook goes like this:
Page 2 - On your turn you can play a card. Turn to page 5 to see what you can do when you play a card.
Page 7 - You can play a card. It can perform many different actions. Turn to page 9 to see those actions.
Page 9 - When you play a card, you can buy something or kill something or make something. Turn to page 11 to see how to buy, page 12 to see how to kill, and page 13 to see how to buy.
Page 11 - You can buy troops or you can buy food. Turn to page 4 to read about troops, and page 8 to see about food.
Page 12 - When playing a Card, did you know you need to pay a coin first, and then flip the Card?
OK, you get the point. Just put all the information in the same place PLEASE!

FFG keeps selling me incomplete games, and then expects me to buy an expansion just so I can actually really play something.

FFG rulebooks are bad, but Mage Knight takes it to a whole new level of terrible.

Settlers Of Catan just isn't a good game anymore. Every dog has its day, and this one needs putting down.

Don't eat crisps and expect to play my nice shiny new game.

Puerto Rico might be a great game, but is it actually fun at all? No. Do I enjoy playing it? No.

Kickstarter allows bad games to get published, and floods the gaming market with crud. There are too many games coming out.

Risk really isn't a bad game.

Oh, and as nobody is paying attention, the Harry Potter books are terrible, The Piano and Legends Of The Fall are two of the worst films I've ever seen, and Radiohead are the only band left making really interesting and exciting music.

And The Hobbit isn't too long. There I said it.

Oh, and finally the big one, the most controversial thing I can say on BGG.....

It's perfectly OK to have opinions that differ from other people. It is fine not to like games - it doesn't make you a freak or an outcast, it just means you have your own opinion. Why does that seem so hard for so many people on here to understand?

I feel better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:

A key part of CCGs is the random distribution of cards (and associated rarity) and the aftermarket to obtain the rarest, most powerful cards.

LCGs* remove that, leaving just the game. I think that's a huge improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Morgan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't stand the kickstarter model of "Pay a boatload to get a 'complete' game with all the expansions, sight unseen and untested." I don't like having to gamble that a game will be good in order to get all the parts, I much prefer it to come out, complete, in retail where I can take my time and really evaluate the game and see the opinions of others who have played it. Expansions are fine, but "exclusive expansions only for backers who pay too much for the game" irks the hell out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Be wrote:
Page 18? Nobody is reading this by now, so I can get all this off my chest safe in the knowledge that nobody will ever know.....

7 Wonders is crap. Completely overrated and dull as anything. Interesting how everyone I know who raved about it when it was first released aren't playing it anymore. If you want to do something big, don't be ashamed to spend two hours doing it - don't try to fit it into 30 minutes.

Martin Wallace has lost the plot. From gaming genius to churning rubbish. What the heck happened to Mythotopia? Canned because people slagged of A Few Acres Of Snow? Don't get mad, get even Mr Wallace! Give them the game how it was meant to be!

FFG rulebooks suck. A typical rulebook goes like this:
Page 2 - On your turn you can play a card. Turn to page 5 to see what you can do when you play a card.
Page 7 - You can play a card. It can perform many different actions. Turn to page 9 to see those actions.
Page 9 - When you play a card, you can buy something or kill something or make something. Turn to page 11 to see how to buy, page 12 to see how to kill, and page 13 to see how to buy.
Page 11 - You can buy troops or you can buy food. Turn to page 4 to read about troops, and page 8 to see about food.
Page 12 - When playing a Card, did you know you need to pay a coin first, and then flip the Card?
OK, you get the point. Just put all the information in the same place PLEASE!

FFG keeps selling me incomplete games, and then expects me to buy an expansion just so I can actually really play something.

FFG rulebooks are bad, but Mage Knight takes it to a whole new level of terrible.

Settlers Of Catan just isn't a good game anymore. Every dog has its day, and this one needs putting down.

Don't eat crisps and expect to play my nice shiny new game.

Puerto Rico might be a great game, but is it actually fun at all? No. Do I enjoy playing it? No.

Kickstarter allows bad games to get published, and floods the gaming market with crud. There are too many games coming out.

Risk really isn't a bad game.

Oh, and as nobody is paying attention, the Harry Potter books are terrible, The Piano and Legends Of The Fall are two of the worst films I've ever seen, and Radiohead are the only band left making really interesting and exciting music.

Oh, and finally the big one, the most controversial thing I can say on BGG.....

It's perfectly OK to have opinions that differ from other people. It is fine not to like games - it doesn't make you a freak or an outcast, it just means you have your own opinion. Why does that seem so hard for so many people on here to understand?

I feel better now.

bill is that you? i didn't know you were on bgg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Be wrote:

Agreed. I expected it to drag a bit, after everything I heard. However, not only was that not the case, in my opinion, but I think it had better pacing than any of the LOTR films (and I'm a MASSIVE fan of the extended editions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
-Attractive art and component quality are not superficial aspects of a game experience but rather meaningful aspects. Looking at you Agricola, Puerto Rico, Catan and almost every other euro game.

-Games that attempt to be too immerse and over-reach often fail to be interesting at all due to alienating people, difficulty of teaching and rule clarity.

-Games with too many parts take too long to set up interfere with the actual play of the game.

-Board games are ultimately too expensive. Stop being corporate apologists and recognize we're getting raped for paper.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST.

-IF YOUR GAME HAS MINIATURES PAINT THEM FFS. Blank miniatures are just LAME! Looking at you DND Board Games, Dust Tactics, Memoir '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:
-Board games are ultimately too expensive

-IF YOUR GAME HAS MINIATURES PAINT THEM FFS

These are incompatible complaints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Be wrote:

I could let you off the hook for almost everything except one: most Radiohead music eats shit sandwiches, The Bends and Hail to the Thief being the only exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Adelt
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Pinkie Fail
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:

-IF YOUR GAME HAS MINIATURES PAINT THEM FFS. Blank miniatures are just LAME! Looking at you DND Board Games, Dust Tactics, Memoir '44.

I'd like to complain about the exact opposite.
If your game has minis let me paint them myself. I guess just few board gamers a mini painters, too, but few things pain me more than badly painted miniatures. If you have to include pre-painted minis, at least make sure they look good and clean.
Since few companies can get this done for a reasonable price, I prefer them blank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sakuko wrote:
NanoXstatiC wrote:

I'd like to complain about the exact opposite.
If your game has minis let me paint them myself. I guess just few board gamers a mini painters, too, but few things pain me more than badly painted miniatures. If you have to include pre-painted minis, at least make sure they look good and clean.
Since few companies can get this done for a reasonable price, I prefer them blank.

There are quite a few games I am interested in SOLELY for the unpainted miniatures. Kingdom Death:Monster is a notable example. If it ends up being a good game, so much the better.

Another reason I prefer unpainted minis is that I like being able to apply my own color schemes to them, I don't always stick to the standard "goblins are green" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are three board-gaming opinions:

1) I don't see a need for tie-breakers for euro games. If two players both finish with 83 victory points, then it's a tie....who cares if one player has an extra wheat, or brick, or coin?? If I wanted to win by myself, I should have got to 84 victory points.

2) Worker placement is the best game mechanic, bar none. What makes worker placement good is it is clean and simple......you either get the spot, or you don't.....period.

3) Auctions aren't a great game mechanic. They offer more frustration than fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
Here are three board-gaming opinions:

1) I don't see a need for tie-breakers for euro games. If two players both finish with 83 victory points, then it's a tie....who cares if one player has an extra wheat, or brick, or coin?? If I wanted to win by myself, I should have got to 84 victory points.

I'm of the same opinion as you, but there are an awful lot of overly-competitive people in the world. These tie-break rules are for them.

Quote:
Auctions aren't a great game mechanic. They offer more frustration than fun.

I quite like them in the right games but sometimes they can feel really empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
I don't see a need for tie-breakers for euro games. If two players both finish with 83 victory points, then it's a tie....who cares if one player has an extra wheat, or brick, or coin?? If I wanted to win by myself, I should have got to 84 victory points.

For me it depends on how natural the tie-breaker is. I like the "less turns taken" tiebreaker in Dominion, because it fits the game - having one turn less time is hard to overcome (and, even though this breaks just roughly half of the ties, no second tiebreaker was introduced which I also like). I like Power Grid's more money tiebreaker, in the end the game is about business. On the other hand I don't see a logical tiebreaker in Agricola or Carcassonne and I'm happy they don't have one though it wouldn't be hard to invent one in either of those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
Ganybyte wrote:

A key part of CCGs is the random distribution of cards (and associated rarity) and the aftermarket to obtain the rarest, most powerful cards.

LCGs* remove that, leaving just the game. I think that's a huge improvement.

Players praise it due to being cheaper, but in the end LCGs make publishers more money than CCGs since the CCG card case is vastly on the retail level versus publisher. I'm not really sure how much better it is for the player. An LCG could run into hundreds of dollars as where people saying CCGs can run into the thousands. Here's a hint. They only cost you what you are willing to let them. It's like an addict praising a system where instead of dealing with 10 distributors, they only have to deal with 3. Cleaner distribution or not, LCGs are still money sinks. People feel compelled to get every added pack even though they offer diminishing practical value.

Considering the cool bits, overly done rules, and sub par manuals, it is kind of surprising Vlaada Chvátil isn't a FFG designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:

2) Worker placement is the best game mechanic, bar none. What makes worker placement good is it is clean and simple......you either get the spot, or you don't.....period.

For me worker placement, role selection, and the most underrated order placement. Set collection can die in a fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nissen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think Mage Wars is difficult to learn and the keywords are obvious . It's not daunting looking at all the spells because all the cards are summarized in the title. then, a quick glance at the body of the card shows more detail into how the card can be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thesleeper7 wrote:
sharky6000 wrote:
darkmorgado wrote:
What opinions do you have about specific games or mechanics/forms/gametypes that go against consensus?

I don't like deck-building games and I'm not really sure why Dominion is so popular. It's really quite repetitive and way too luck-based, but people's bias against dice makes luck through cards more acceptable, it seems. Each turn it's usually obvious what to do given the hand I drew, so I spend more energy constantly shuffling cards than thinking strategically, and at the start of the game when the decks are small it's just awkward to shuffle effectively. Most of them take way too long to setup proportional to the time spent playing. And, they feel like wanna-be CCGs to me (but lacking the more fun half). I'd prefer playing a CCG over a deck-builder any day...

... and don't get me started on LCGs!

I stopped at Dominion luck-based. You mean this Dominion?
NO WAY, did you even play it? The better player Wins 98,54% of the time.

Surely the better player will win anything from 50% to 100% of the time depending on how much better he is. I assume you meant something other than what you wrote?

Quote:

Check out this site: http://dominionstrategy.com/ Still think it's luck-based?

EDIT: And on the topic: TtR is really boring, Arkham Horror is way too easy and long to be worth the time, and LotR:LCG is a just a typical FFG cash-cow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
-Being a competitive gamer isn't always a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  16 , 17 , 18 , 19 , 20  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.