Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
664 Posts
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [27] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Unpopular gaming opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] snarky_geeklist [+] let's_you_and_him_fight [+] [View All]
Lynn Gillespie
United States
COCOA
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I played it years ago. It still stinks. That is unless your are in the mood for a fight or someone storming off because they lost. I can think of a lot better ways to make someone dislike me!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
Steve Be wrote:

And The Hobbit isn't too long. There I said it.

Agreed. I expected it to drag a bit, after everything I heard. However, not only was that not the case, in my opinion, but I think it had better pacing than any of the LOTR films (and I'm a MASSIVE fan of the extended editions)

I too expected it to be dragged out. Then I watched it and it did not feel dragged out - mainly because they added rafts of stuff in that was not in the book.

I have decided not to judge it based on the book, but just enjoy it as a film set in the LotR world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP:
I think euros are better when there's some kind of randomness involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Solitaire board games are often more fun than playing in a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:

I think you have to take that on a game-by-game basis, but I certainly have one or two co-ops that I prefer to solo.

NB: I'm not the gobby arsehole who tells everyone else how to play a co-op game. I'm usually more reserved than when we play competitively.

My unpopular opinion: Bohnanza is rubbish.

Edit: Nice to see a fellow EGer on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
repairmanjack wrote:
darkmorgado wrote:

I think you have to take that on a game-by-game basis, but I certainly have one or two co-ops that I prefer to solo.

NB: I'm not the gobby arsehole who tells everyone else how to play a co-op game. I'm usually more reserved than when we play competitively.

My unpopular opinion: Bohnanza is rubbish.

Edit: Nice to see a fellow EGer on here.

Good lord, fancy seeing you here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darthmaul
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG are garbage. Dice is lazy design and pretty much all luck. Catan is garbage. Coop games suck. Just a few off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Theissen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
"exclusive expansions only for backers who pay too much for the game" irks the hell out of me.

Seriously? Do you go to retail establishments who offer special deals to the first X customers and complain you didn't get one? Were you to lazy to stand in line for 2 days like the ones who did?

If I give money to a KS for a product I hope will be as cool as the description on the KS page, I feel like I deserve a little extra for my risk and dedication to your project.

On the flip side if I back your project and you tell me I get some cool exclusive trinket for being a backer, you are an ass if you then ship it to my FLGS with said trinket included and sell it for $10 cheaper...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Knightmare6669 wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:
"exclusive expansions only for backers who pay too much for the game" irks the hell out of me.

Seriously? Do you go to retail establishments who offer special deals to the first X customers and complain you didn't get one? Were you to lazy to stand in line for 2 days like the ones who did?

If I give money to a KS for a product I hope will be as cool as the description on the KS page, I feel like I deserve a little extra for my risk and dedication to your project.

On the flip side if I back your project and you tell me I get some cool exclusive trinket for being a backer, you are an ass if you then ship it to my FLGS with said trinket included and sell it for $10 cheaper...

Hear hear.

I have absolutely zero problem with free expansions for higher level backers. After all, that's why you're paying more money.

I admit it's a fine line that rises the question whether things have been ripped out of the core game in order to sell separately though, an issue which videogames are constantly finding themselves in with the rise of DLC and season passes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I have a lot of unpopular gaming opinions.

(1) Classic games such as go and canasta are better than modern games.

(2) Two-player and two-team games are inherently better than multiplayer, since in them there are no problems such as vendettas and kingmaker.

(3) The games should evolve among the player base rather than be designed.

(4) Climbing games such as Tichu are NOT trick-taking games.

(5) Each game is in its core abstract. Theme is always pasted-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobody knew his name and his name was
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Punainen Nörtti wrote:
(4) Climbing games such as Tichu are NOT trick-taking games.

I see you've been browsing the comments of Tichu, Big Two, Gang of Four, Lexio and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rednar wrote:
@OP:

I think designers agree with you. I'm struggling to think of Euros with no randomness at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagpuss42 wrote:
rednar wrote:
@OP:

I think designers agree with you. I'm struggling to think of Euros with no randomness at all.

The only one that comes to mind is Caylus and that only counts if you exclude the setting up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckersuk wrote:
Bagpuss42 wrote:
rednar wrote:
@OP:

The only one that comes to mind is Caylus and that only counts if you exclude the setting up.

If you play the variant where all players start with all 10 action cards in hand, which is the way many prefer it anyway, Torres is a zero randomness euro. But the cool thing is is that you CAN randomize the starting set up IF you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagpuss42 wrote:
rednar wrote:
@OP:

Sounds like a geeklist. Clippers is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobody knew his name and his name was
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Dave wrote:
Sounds like a geeklist. Clippers is a good one.

Completely Unrandom Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By page 20 most of my unpopular thoughts are apparently quite popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unpopular: I think Eclipse is painfully overrated. I don't think it is poorly built mechanically, but I think its mechanics run counter to its theme, and that its mechanics aren't all that new/exciting. It would probably be a solid 7 for me if it didn't try to be a space empire builder in spite of itself. Playable, but not worth the fanfare it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Edward Locke
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schrödinger was a dog person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Sidcup
Kent
flag msg tools
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:

I have absolutely zero problem with free expansions for higher level backers. After all, that's why you're paying more money.

Um... what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
darkmorgado wrote:

Um... what?

Oh, you know what I mean!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lobotnik wrote:
Agent Minivann wrote:
I'm not sure how you could alter Catan to have the same practical effect as one of the iterations of the Free Parking house rules.

Goods lost to the robbers go into some sort of kitty, which you can collect if you are the next person to roll a 7? It would certainly encourage people to keep smaller hands, if they knew others might get their paws on their hard earned/randomly allotted goods.

I am not sure I would like to play with this rule, but just thought about it as an answer to your musing.

While that does a fair job replicating what happens with the Free Parking house rule, I think the effect on the overall game is very different. Hitting a big payday with Free Parking prolongs a game where the object is to bankrupt your opponents. Hitting a big payday rolling a 7 shortens a game where you score points by spending said currency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Minivann wrote:
Lobotnik wrote:
Agent Minivann wrote:
I'm not sure how you could alter Catan to have the same practical effect as one of the iterations of the Free Parking house rules.

Goods lost to the robbers go into some sort of kitty, which you can collect if you are the next person to roll a 7? It would certainly encourage people to keep smaller hands, if they knew others might get their paws on their hard earned/randomly allotted goods.

I am not sure I would like to play with this rule, but just thought about it as an answer to your musing.

While that does a fair job replicating what happens with the Free Parking house rule, I think the effect on the overall game is very different. Hitting a big payday with Free Parking prolongs a game where the object is to bankrupt your opponents. Hitting a big payday rolling a 7 shortens a game where you score points by spending said currency.

Not necessarily, it depends on who hits the jackpot - if all the paupers get the Free Parking money, then yes, but if the rich douche with all the dark blues and greens gets it then it can be game over for everyone else.

Likewise, if the people losing at Settlers take the winners stuff, then they are prolonging the game by making it harder for that guy to win, or at least dragging it out a little.

But it definitely is not quite the same as having some sort of growing kitty with one small chance to get on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Morgan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:
Knightmare6669 wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:

Hear hear.

I admit it's a fine line that rises the question whether things have been ripped out of the core game in order to sell separately though, an issue which videogames are constantly finding themselves in with the rise of DLC and season passes.

Exactly. And this is why it irks me. I've seen too many reviews where the expansions are all but required to make the game work or at least enjoyable. So they rip out some essential part of the game to get more backers, but those of us who wait for retail (either b/c we prefer to or b/c we simply can't keep up with every new kickstarter project in the world) get stuck with either a sub-par experience or, worse, a broken game that we have no chance of fixing b/c all the expansions were exclusives. No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we stop backing/buying games just because it has miniatures in it? I'm not going to spend $100 on a game just because the player tokens are an inch tall and 3d. Give me a colored token and make it $30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  17 , 18 , 19 , 20 , 21  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.