Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
664 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Unpopular gaming opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_GeekList [+] snarky_geeklist [+] let's_you_and_him_fight [+] [View All]
Jubal Early
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is not fun, Dominion is boring, Settlers of Catan is a chore, and my favorite gateway game is Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Bgaming
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
X-Wing Miniatures: It is boring and captures none of the excitement you feel when watching the movies. You shoot, maybe hit, dodge, fly around in a loop for a turn or 2, repeat. It's really a kind of lousy game.

Munchkin: Gets old after the first game. Then if I play it again it gets boring after the first few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like card sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Alien
United States
MISSOURI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:
What opinions do you have about specific games or mechanics/forms/gametypes that go against consensus?

I'll start:

I really don't think much of Carcassonne.

Fluxx is a brilliant game easily on par with Uno and its randomness is exactly why it's so great (and I say that as soomeone who dislikes randomness in games).

Can't stop actually has a lot of interesting choices.

There's your starters

EDIT: Oh, and Small World is dull.

I agree on Carcassonne.

I hate Fluxx with a passion that knows no bounds.

Can't Stop is fun and Small World was cool at first but then it fell flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Alien
United States
MISSOURI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I almost forgot. I think Pandemic is boring as hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is meh and Star Fluxx is a ton of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is boring, repetitive, and completely not worth your time unless you add some mystery to the game (keep monster stats hidden, don't read people the outcomes from events until after they've chosen/rolled).

Descent 1st Edition is a good idea marred with a mountain of flaws. The weak narrative combined with the hours and hours of playtime is horrific. Not to mention, gameplay devolves into a very precise excercise of square counting so you can't get hit by that monster and are in range of that glyph next turn while this other hero can hit you with a spell but he has to ready his section action as a guard because that spider can move adjacent to him etc. For a game inspired by Diablo it lacks the fun and adds additional work.

Tide of Iron is so horrifically balanced that I can't fathom why people ended up buying the expansions. The expansions could be better, but the scenarios in the base game are just god awful. Thankfully Fantasy Flight has kind of turned the corner on playtesting.

Android is just OK. Most seem to think you have to either love or despise this game. I prove that theory wrong.

Pandemic is boring after the fourth or fifth play when you've figured it out and realize the game is a mathematical risk analysis. Flash Point: Fire Rescue is far superior.

Civilization is not a great game. Being dealt random military cards which suck (happened to me TWICE) can set you back multiple turns early in the game. Random resources gained from the villages/armies can be way too big of a factor. Starting Civilization is also another huge random factor. Random special sites (Atlantis, etc.) being located entirely by random is also lame. You can be far behind before the game even started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
sharky6000 wrote:
But the effect of randomness is less in 2P Carcassonne. Why not do the 3-tile hand like you do in multiplayer?

Actually, that's how I've mostly played - 2 player (because I do most of my gaming with my wife), with a 4-tile hand.

If we work hard not to take the game too seriously (just as we wouldn't take a multiplayer game of it too seriously), then it's okay, but after a while it got a little dull.

If we try to play the game more competitively, then it is very annoying.

Plus, if we want a tense, competitive 2-player game, there are reams and reams fantastic abstracts that we could play, all of which have no randomness, not just less randomness. And Caylus, for that matter. Given those options, why would we bother with Carcasonne?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Elendil wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
Try Carcassonne as a 2-player game and provide both players with a list of the tile distribution to consult during the game -- still so lackluster?

Someone suggested this to me once, so I tried it. You are right, it is no longer lackluster. Instead, it is highly frustrating - it made me want to scream.

Excellent. That's a desirable reaction.

Quote:
I don't like randomness, you see. And the more tense and strategic a game is, the more frustrating randomness becomes.

Except that in Carcassonne's case the point of the exercise is the management of the conditional probability of which tiles will be out when -- a hard and fairly subtle problem. It is what makes the game as without it there is no game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:

Plus, if we want a tense, competitive 2-player game, there are reams and reams fantastic abstracts that we could play, all of which have no randomness, not just less randomness. And Caylus, for that matter. Given those options, why would we bother with Carcasonne?

Because some wives don't appreciate the true brilliance that is Caylus. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

Civilization is not a great game. Being dealt random military cards which suck (happened to me TWICE) can set you back multiple turns early in the game. Random resources gained from the villages/armies can be way too big of a factor. Starting Civilization is also another huge random factor. Random special sites (Atlantis, etc.) being located entirely by random is also lame. You can be far behind before the game even started.

Dude, I got no idea what game you're talking about, but it sure as hell ain't Civilization. Civilization is this game, and it *is* a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Elendil wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
Try Carcassonne as a 2-player game and provide both players with a list of the tile distribution to consult during the game -- still so lackluster?

Someone suggested this to me once, so I tried it. You are right, it is no longer lackluster. Instead, it is highly frustrating - it made me want to scream.

Excellent. That's a desirable reaction.

Quote:
I don't like randomness, you see. And the more tense and strategic a game is, the more frustrating randomness becomes.

Except that in Carcassonne's case the point of the exercise is the management of the conditional probability of which tiles will be out when -- a hard and fairly subtle problem. It is what makes the game as without it there is no game.

Right - it's a risk management game. Such games infuriate me. I recognize in theory why they could be interesting, but I just find them painful. And I don't seem to have the fortitude that you do to embrace the pain for the opportunity to learn. Maybe someday.

Some people don't like thinking too hard. I don't like dealing with randomness. It's a personal problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an Eurogamer (and I love worker placement games) and I hate Agricola with passion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sorensen

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* I don't care what people say, I like Monopoly. Maybe because of a nostalgia factor playing with my family and it's fun if you play it "properly"

* Oh zip it, I like "Fluxx", it only takes a few minutes to play and there are always something surprising happening and you can win with luck and some modicum of thought.

* Yea, I agree, Munchkin pretty much blows.

* I hate zombie games with a passion

(Waiting for Monopoly: Zombies....feel conflicted about that one)

Addendum: They have Resident Evil Monopoly and Zombie-opoly. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because a hate-on for deck-building isn't enough (it's scary how much I can contribute to this subject, actually) ...

This:

evarina wrote:
I am an Eurogamer (and I love worker placement games) and I hate Agricola with passion.

and, this:

ponghalo wrote:

* I hate zombie games with a passion

Imagine a Zombie-themed worker placement. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sorensen

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had it with Zombie games after a friend of mind took John Horton Conways "Game of Life" (The cellular automation game; not the one where you go to college, buy a house, and get PAID for having kids at the end) and turned it into a zombie generator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ponghalo wrote:
I had it with Zombie games after a friend of mind took John Horton Conways "Game of Life" (The cellular automation game; not the one where you go to college, buy a house, and get PAID for having kids at the end) and turned it into a zombie generator.

The "one where you go to college" etc. already is a zombie generator.

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Victoria
United States
flag msg tools
charlest wrote:
Arkham Horror is boring, repetitive, and completely not worth your time unless you add some mystery to the game (keep monster stats hidden, don't read people the outcomes from events until after they've chosen/rolled).

Descent 1st Edition is a good idea marred with a mountain of flaws. The weak narrative combined with the hours and hours of playtime is horrific. Not to mention, gameplay devolves into a very precise excercise of square counting so you can't get hit by that monster and are in range of that glyph next turn while this other hero can hit you with a spell but he has to ready his section action as a guard because that spider can move adjacent to him etc. For a game inspired by Diablo it lacks the fun and adds additional work.

Tide of Iron is so horrifically balanced that I can't fathom why people ended up buying the expansions. The expansions could be better, but the scenarios in the base game are just god awful. Thankfully Fantasy Flight has kind of turned the corner on playtesting.

Android is just OK. Most seem to think you have to either love or despise this game. I prove that theory wrong.

Pandemic is boring after the fourth or fifth play when you've figured it out and realize the game is a mathematical risk analysis. Flash Point: Fire Rescue is far superior.

[q="charlest"]Civilization is not a great game. Being dealt random military cards which suck (happened to me TWICE) can set you back multiple turns early in the game. Random resources gained from the villages/armies can be way too big of a factor. Starting Civilization is also another huge random factor. Random special sites (Atlantis, etc.) being located entirely by random is also lame. You can be far behind before the game even started.

If Civilization is supposed to be a civ simulator, would not the military aspect mentioned make sense? In world history, people were militarily retarded largely due to the area the civilization was located in. The Hittites, who were located in Mesopotamia, were the first to smelt iron. That would leave major civilizations, such as China, the Americas, and the Indians, far inferioir to the Hittites and peoples who adopted iron smelting (such as the martial Assyrians) lightyears ahead technologically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Babbler wrote:
I generally don't like fantasy, and I'm become more reluctant to play or purchase a game because of it.

I'm exactly the same, unless it really does something to turn the theme on its head I tend to instantly disregard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Titanis Walleri wrote:
charlest wrote:

[q="charlest"]Civilization is not a great game. Being dealt random military cards which suck (happened to me TWICE) can set you back multiple turns early in the game. Random resources gained from the villages/armies can be way too big of a factor. Starting Civilization is also another huge random factor. Random special sites (Atlantis, etc.) being located entirely by random is also lame. You can be far behind before the game even started.

If Civilization is supposed to be a civ simulator, would not the military aspect mentioned make sense? In world history, people were militarily retarded largely due to the area the civilization was located in. The Hittites, who were located in Mesopotamia, were the first to smelt iron. That would leave major civilizations, such as China, the Americas, and the Indians, far inferioir to the Hittites and peoples who adopted iron smelting (such as the martial Assyrians) lightyears ahead technologically.

I don't think a game that includes a random map, random Civilizations, random military units, random wonders available for purchase, a tech tree that can have me going from cultural writing and democracy straight to firearms (without ever researching Blacksmithing/Ironworking or whatever its called), random Great people which can be great people from a completely different culture than my own, a win condition based on Space Travel, Nukes being developed before travel by sea, or any of the other craziness can be called a "sim" of anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've not played the board game version, but the videogame it's based on is possibly the greatest bit of videogaming goodness ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I can't stand Tsuro.

It's fun the first few times, but I very quickly got bored since no matter how well you play it's entirely possible for someone to eliminate you, through no fault of your own, and there's nothing you can do about it. Or you have one tile left where whichever way you place it you eliminate yourself, and there's nothing you can do about it.

And yet the whole world seems to describe it as an awesome light filler which is loads of fun.

I'd almost rather play Settlers. Almost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot of an owl, chatter of leaves, by a spooky crossroads waits
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
silverleaf79 wrote:
It's fun the first few times, but I very quickly got bored since no matter how well you play it's entirely possible for someone to eliminate you, through no fault of your own

It's not that I'm a fan of Tsuro, but the objective of the game is to not allow someone else to place a tile that would move you along. If you do that, it is your own fault (to the extent that anything is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
PiIsExactly3 wrote:
Ticket to Ride is not fun

Having only recently discovered, I am completely addicted to it at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
darkmorgado wrote:
PiIsExactly3 wrote:
Ticket to Ride is not fun

Having only recently discovered, I am completely addicted to it at the moment.

Hopefully, for your sake, that will pass. If it doesn't, I'll sell you a copy of "Drying Paint: The Board Game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.