Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
229 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG Secret Santa 2012 Wrap Up - Santas, Grinches, and recruiting Volunteers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the unfortunate luck of ordering through an online store who happened to be moving during the holidays. The order I placed the day targets were assigned did not go out until a week before Christmas, six weeks later yuk. And overseas no less. I really hope my target gets my gift soon, but two weeks so far and no news on the package tracking soblue Suffice to say I will be more judicious about who I use next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cockrell
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the wise words of a wizard I once knew...

"The hammer will fall hardest here..." Thanks Oct! You are the MAN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian --

You do an excellent job of managing this exchange each year.

This year, my Santa promised to reveal himself at Christmas, and he did so, with an email. We have exchanged several emails since, and are discovering we have some areas of mutual interest (in reading and movies, so far). Although we live in different English-speaking countries, we seem to have many things in common. More came from this exchange than the great games he gave me.

Thanks again for all your efforts, and I just wanted you to know that sometimes the results are beyond your expectations.

See you in next year's Secret Santa project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you so much Octavian for running this whole show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh darn! This Christmas season was been so crazily busy that I completely forgot that I was going to send a Christmas Greeting Card to Octavian for all of his work with Secret Santa and everything else!

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year Octavian!

I'll try to remember next Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also going to wait to fill out the form, as I got a message from my Santa on 12/31 that the elves had just gotten the gift, and it wasn't being picked up due to the holiday, so that sounds like it is almost here.

Thanks for running this again!

EDIT: And it arrived today, safe, sound, and gift-wrapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very interested in knowing some statistics about Secret Santa -- including what percentage of the participants are "Grinches", how many users offer to give without receiving, and how many volunteer to give to a "Grinched" target. I understand if Octavian doesn't want to do that, but it sure would be an interesting look into how BGG users work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Flouret
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmb
Although I didn´t participate in the Secret Santa, I would consider sending a gift. But I can´t find what is this all about.

Is there any article or post I can read to know more about this?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Octavian says, please do add an item to the geeklist if you have received your gift. Santa wants to know it arrived safely and if you're happy with his choices!

I had a great experience with this exchange. Thanks to Octavian and everyone who participated (especially my Santa!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wolve
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for another great year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Laver
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up to be a replacement Santa today! My Secret Santa was beyond generous, I'm still overwhelmed by it. I think this is a wonderful way to say 'thank you' and keep the fun going as long as possible - I can't wait to make someone happy with some fabulous games!

(edited for grammar... D'oh!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Kühle
Germany
Landau (Pfalz)
flag msg tools
designer
Bonn - Forever loved!
badge
It is not enough to win - everyone else must also lose
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the work you put in this!

It was my first time and it was a blast! This definately wasn't the last time!!! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eflouret wrote:
Although I didn´t participate in the Secret Santa, I would consider sending a gift. But I can´t find what is this all about.

Is there any article or post I can read to know more about this?

Have a look at Targets assigned! 2012 Secret Santa is GO! But read this first... and 2012 Edition of Look What My Secret Santa sent me....

In short, it's a gift exchange program. People sign up, get a target, and send gifts to each other anonymously. This thread is for people who haven't received anything from their Secret Santa for whatever reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiel Markhorst
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome experience!!

Maybe for the people who didn't receive any gift this community can surprise them and semd them a little something to restore their trust. I am willing to help out a bit. (Not swimming in money, but just want to help out)

Only question is how to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ZomBen Deranged
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a blast. Can't wait for next years and hopefully I rock the socks off my secret Santa like mine did me this year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Walker
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work

Unhappily for me i dont has any word of my Santa and no gift yet
My target already receive your gift

Already fill the complain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Emiel75 wrote:
Awesome experience!!

Maybe for the people who didn't receive any gift this community can surprise them and semd them a little something to restore their trust. I am willing to help out a bit. (Not swimming in money, but just want to help out)

Only question is how to do this?

Most kind of you! See Octavian's very first post in this thread, under the heading "If you want to volunteer as a replacement Santa". That's got the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HJ DJ
Netherlands
Steenwijk
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwsparks wrote:
In an earlier Secret Santa, I mailed a boardgame to Brazil - it took six weeks to get there.

Let's try and be understanding about postal service in other countries.

+1

I have a target in Mexico. There are not that much onlinestores in Mexico. And they don't have all the games on the wishlists in stock. So I just could set the final order a few days for X-mas. As far as I know my target still hasn't got his present.

But I - of course - contacted him, and he told me that the Mexican Post has it's own ways and that he knows and that he is patient. A present that I sent from the Netherlands was delivered in some two weeks ...

One of these days I'll contact the onlinestore to make sure they really sent it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Siegburg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I hadn't heard anything from my Santa, so I filled out that form yesterday. However, today I received a package from Amazon Germany containing a small game (price ~ 7 €) and a short greeting-message from Taiwan.

I'm glad that I received something, but at the same time I am not sure what to do now... Maybe there's something else heading towards me, but who knows....

Should I fill out that complaint form again to let the admins know that I now received something or how does this work?

Thanks,
Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
I'd be very interested in knowing some statistics about Secret Santa -- including what percentage of the participants are "Grinches", how many users offer to give without receiving, and how many volunteer to give to a "Grinched" target. I understand if Octavian doesn't want to do that, but it sure would be an interesting look into how BGG users work!

I'd find these stats interesting too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jesslc wrote:
dcclark wrote:

I'd find these stats interesting too.

Me too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Eisenhut
United States
Hartland
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It was great! my first year also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario De Super
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
lorna wrote:
Don't forget, things can also be held in customs for long times...

Especially if you asked your Santa to send you cocaine.

This comment gave me a good first laugh of the day. Thumbed and tipped accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwecklos wrote:
Hi there,

I hadn't heard anything from my Santa, so I filled out that form yesterday. However, today I received a package from Amazon Germany containing a small game (price ~ 7 €) and a short greeting-message from Taiwan.

I'm glad that I received something, but at the same time I am not sure what to do now... Maybe there's something else heading towards me, but who knows....

Should I fill out that complaint form again to let the admins know that I now received something or how does this work?

Thanks,
Martin

Put a message on your profile saying you received the little gift and state you confusion because you hope there is something bigger coming since it hasn't met the minimum spend. Just be honest and avoid drinking some whine (though I don't read that tone in you post ).

Update the admin of the situation and say you will update them in a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carroll Best
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Octavian, this was my first year and the gifts that I received were incredible!! My Secret Santa received their gifts and seemed to be very happy as well, so a very great first time for myself and him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.