Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
229 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG Secret Santa 2012 Wrap Up - Santas, Grinches, and recruiting Volunteers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Borlänge
Dalarna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm easily distracted at times, even while filling out important forms, so I can't remember if I actually sent my complaint or not. Can I send it again just in case without causing major havoc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I like the idea of the grinches losing some site functions.

I agree.

I had a grinch last year (and an amazing replacement santa) and it looks like I may have ANOTHER grinch this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first time in 5 years... not a single sign of my SS. I know Chile is far, far away, but the 4 previous Santas somehow found the way to deliver before Christmas.

On the other hand, according to Fedex (track & confirm) my target received his gift, but still hasn't posted on the "Look what my SS..." geeklist.

Octavian, if my target hasn't received his gift (for some unknown reason), you would let me know, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I got a new note from my SS (in his revealed form - TWIST!) - my hope is renewed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Yu
United States
Rego Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up! Everyone should enjoy this process without some grinch ruining their experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know should I post it there, but I'll try to put it here. This this my third time as Secret Santa target, but this is first time when my gift is awfully delayed. My Santa is sending me Geekmails regularly and worries about gift even more than me, but it seem there is nothing he can do to track package location. I hope I'm not the only Russian who take part in Secret Santa, so...

Dear Santas, if you received Russian geek as a target I strongly encourage you to take in account this three things:

1) Send your gift as soon as possible. I've received my two previous gifts without any problems before the middle of December, so I assume that it's safe to mail gifts in November.

2) Choose shipping with tracking. And keep an eye on it. This is pretty common treatment to packages in our post offices:

Also it's very likely to be send in a erotic journey by post office worker if you haven't got a post notification even if you have a passport and a tracking number. And our post service doesn't work between 31 December and 9 January at all.

3) If you want to evade this complications and order games in Russian local stores be aware: English version of games are usually overpriced (Android: Netrunner costs 60$) and Russian localization quality is a subject to discuss.

This post can be too grim, but my mood now is very grim due to some life circumstances and I would be happy to be wrong about our post service.

*Also I won't call my Ded Moroz Santa a Grinch in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silencewalker wrote:
Also it's very likely to be send in a erotic trip by post office worker if you haven't got a post notification even if you have a passport and a tracking number. ...

Um, did you mean exotic trip?
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
silencewalker wrote:
Also it's very likely to be send in a erotic trip by post office worker if you haven't got a post notification even if you have a passport and a tracking number. ...

Um, did you mean exotic trip?
whistle

In Russian language it's possible to send a person in various directions/locations such as different parts of human or animal body or truly exotic places and even plants (that sometimes are homonyms with specific parts of human body), so in general we call it "пешее эротическое путешествее" -> "erotic journey on foot" (yeah, my bad with word "trip"). So, that's it.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Travers
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had fun teasing my target and seeing his reactions to his gifts from me. That was a lot of fun.

Going to look every time I think I hear a delivery truck, hoping my Santa has come through. That has not been fun.

I submitted a complaint, but I do not know how that will work. We'll see when waiting is filled.

I think that I won't participate in the Board Game Geek Secret Santa next year. If I am financially able, I will help out someone who had a year like mine, without the stress that I give myself from waiting for something that never comes. That will be much more fun and much less headache.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shingold wrote:
I had fun teasing my target and seeing his reactions to his gifts from me. That was a lot of fun.

Going to look every time I think I hear a delivery truck, hoping my Santa has come through. That has not been fun.

I submitted a complaint, but I do not know how that will work. We'll see when waiting is filled.

I think that I won't participate in the Board Game Geek Secret Santa next year. If I am financially able, I will help out someone who had a year like mine, without the stress that I give myself from waiting for something that never comes. That will be much more fun and much less headache.

Just so you know, the odds of having your Santa not come through are VERY low. My Santa didn't come through this year either, but I've been doing this since the beginning and it's the first time that has happened. I watch the list very closely every year, and I think I can safely say that the VAST majority of people get presents in a decent amount of time (depending on what their mail service is like).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
Update time!

I'm going to send out initial contacts to the Santas whose targets filled out the complaint forms. Several people who filled out the form have subsequently let me know that their presents have arrived! And many others who filled it out live in countries with notoriously long delivery times (I'm looking at you, Russia and Brazil).

All together there are just under 100 people who report having not received anything yet. That sounds like a lot, but with 2315 total participants that comes in at less than 5%. That's less than previous years! And from experience, my initial contacts to their Santas will result in that number dropping significantly.

If you do get a geekmail saying your target has filled out the form, here are the two important steps to remember:
1 - DON'T PANIC - if you sent something and have your receipts, you will be fine. If you didn't send something yet, it's not too late to do so and stay off the naughty list.
2 - YOU MUST RESPOND TO ME ASAP - If you don't tell me that you have the receipts, or if you don't tell me that something is going to be sent to your target soon, I will be forced to assume the worst. You don't want me to assume the worst. So be sure to respond!

Thanks again to everyone who has signed up as a replacement. We should have more than enough to cover everyone who has been grinched! I should start calling on replacements in the next week or two as I get a better idea of whose Santas have just run into problems and whose Santas have disappeared entirely.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy"
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
You don't want me to assume the worst.

-MMM

"...You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a quick question, I've sent my report and the all the rest in but in a couple of weeks i'm planning on going to Cancon (gaming convention) and picking up a swag of new games, trouble is my next SS (or my old one) will likely choose one of those games (given they are high on my wishlist) so is it bad form to ask my SS (in my profile) to let me know what game they get for me so i don't end up buying another copy while its in the post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
aquillo wrote:
Just as a quick question, I've sent my report and the all the rest in but in a couple of weeks i'm planning on going to Cancon (gaming convention) and picking up a swag of new games, trouble is my next SS (or my old one) will likely choose one of those games (given they are high on my wishlist) so is it bad form to ask my SS (in my profile) to let me know what game they get for me so i don't end up buying another copy while its in the post?

I'll contact your Santa and bring this to his attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Octavian for the hard work. This SS is already a tremendous success, and this extra effort is just to make it perfect.

I've signed in to be a Santa 2.0. Count on me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott De Regt
Australia
Marcoola
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your hard work Octavian. I submitted my gripe the other day, I held off because I had heard several times from my santa however being half way through January, it was about time. Sorry for causing you more work.

As far as my target is concerned, they have added their game to their collection but haven't updated the geeklist or replied to any messages. I have confirmation from Shire games that the game was sent and received. Fingers crossed they are loving the game and there was no nefarious reason they haven't added it to the geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also received a message from Santa after filling the Complaint Form, on 5th of Jan, but no other update since.
I still hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy Winand
United States
Lincoln Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting... haven't heard anything from my Santa before or after submitting that I got nothing. Second year in a row. Next year I may sit this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TMWinand wrote:
Still waiting... haven't heard anything from my Santa before or after submitting that I got nothing. Second year in a row. Next year I may sit this out.

Well it looks like your replacement Santa gave you almost $200 worth of games last year. If your replacement Santa is even half as generous this year, it is still well worth the wait. And I definitely would not sit this out next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jafet Valdez
Sweden
Borlänge
Dalarna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
TMWinand wrote:

Well it looks like your replacement Santa gave you almost $200 worth of games last year. If your replacement Santa is even half as generous this year, it is still well worth the wait. And I definitely would not sit this out next year!

Something tells me it's not the worth of the games that's the problem but rather the actual waiting. Checking the mail in anticipation for 3 months past recommended due date and getting dissapointed everyday. Seeing and knowing that 1700+ other people had fun and got their things in time is a contributor for building up this anticipation.

Anyway, Teddy. I hope you've had fun with your target atleast. I still think you should be with us next year because... well come on. Being within the 5% of the ones that get "grinched" 3 years in a row is highly unlikely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skewie wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
TMWinand wrote:

Something tells me it's not the worth of the games that's the problem but rather the actual waiting. Checking the mail in anticipation for 3 months past recommended due date and getting dissapointed everyday. Seeing and knowing that 1700+ other people had fun and got their things in time is a contributor for building up this anticipation.

Anyway, Teddy. I hope you've had fun with your target atleast. I still think you should be with us next year because... well come on. Being within the 5% of the ones that get "grinched" 3 years in a row is highly unlikely!

Still not a peep.

Last year, the Community overloaded us...me...with cheer.
This year, I am involuntarily single, grinched, and dealing with other nasty crap in my life.

Yeah. Not Happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runga Tunga
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silencewalker wrote:

In soviet russia packages deliver the post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Starodubov
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I would like to say Thank You to Octavian for the arrangement of Secret Santa 2012. It was my first "Secret Santa" event, and I enjoyed it a lot, despite the fact that my Santa appeared to be a Grinch. Never heard a single word from him. So I have submitted the complaint form.

P.S. I have edited this message since my target contacted me and was very grateful about his gift. Since he was away on vacation he wasn't able to reply earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy Winand
United States
Lincoln Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the price it's just that it is fun to participate and an exciting thing and I really love this community and am trying to be more involved. My replacement Santa last year was very generous, and I do apprececiate that, it's just a bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, for anybody who is interested: if you aren't ready for Christmas to be over yet, you can still get a present!

On the Feel the Love forum there is a guy who runs a monthly Game Giveaway. He gives away a free game every month to one (sometimes more) lucky person! All you have to do to enter is pick what game you want if you win and answer a couple questions!

Here is the link: The Great Geek Game Giveaway (4G)

Please mention that I sent you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.