12 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Did the tiles graphics change over years? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
no name
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi all, I would like to know if Carcassone tiles graphics changed over time. Is it still possible to play an old game version with new expansions?
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the new Z-Man edition will be compatible or not, but I've played with the Rio-Grande prints as well as HiG imports, and there is no difference there, so I presume that Z-Man prints will likewise be compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Poland
Warsaw
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that the base game versions differ. However several expansions use different shades of green for the meadows and brown for the cities. The best example is the Cult. Each edition (Cult, Siege, Creativity; The Count, The King...; Spielbox edition) use different shades of green: http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1312397/carcassonne-the-cult

Other observations:

(i) Castles, Bridges & Bazaars - a few city tiles have different shade of brown

(ii) The Mini Expansion - different green shade

(iii) The Festival - green slightly different

(iv) The Plague (Spielbox) - meadows are in dark green

(v) Tunnels (Spielbox) - lighter green

There is no problem while combining several expansions. IMO, only the Cult (Spielbox), The Plague and one city tile from C,B&B stand out considerably. But the rest is OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no name
Italy
flag msg tools
This is some useful information. I'm searching for used version of the game so I'm a little worried about not being able to combine nicely with future expansions I can buy. But seems like it's quite possible without many troubles. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WRS WRS
Poland
Ropczyce
Podkarpacie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Differences are so small, that you shouldn't be afraid.
Remember, that Carcassonne family has more than 10 years. So shades of print colours may varied a little.

One known difference is a small bush added at basic tile to solve some interpretation problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oniric85 wrote:
Hi all, I would like to know if Carcassone tiles graphics changed over time. Is it still possible to play an old game version with new expansions?
Thank you!
Should be fine... the rulebook even deals with this. For example, in one of the big box rulebooks, it lists the full tile distribution with a note that the graphics may vary slightly between editions of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Leonard
Switzerland
Geneva
GE
flag msg tools
Svartisen wrote:
IMO, only the Cult (Spielbox), The Plague and one city tile from C,B&B stand out considerably. But the rest is OK.

Does this go for only The Plague by itself (Spielbox) or also The Plague in Corn Circle, Plague and Tunnels? I am probably more pedantic than most people in wanting the colours to match up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickleonard wrote:
Svartisen wrote:
IMO, only the Cult (Spielbox), The Plague and one city tile from C,B&B stand out considerably. But the rest is OK.

Does this go for only The Plague by itself (Spielbox) or also The Plague in Corn Circle, Plague and Tunnels? I am probably more pedantic than most people in wanting the colours to match up.

Color saturation won't match. That is certain. But the graphical style is consistent. Since they printed and ganged at different times over the years with multiple different press runs and vendors the color balance, value and saturation varies from expansion to expansion. Some are closer than others, from what I've seen. (The smallest expansions being the most inconsistent.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember right, the watermarks on the tiles are a recent addition.
Also, I kind of remember playing Carcassonne ages ago with penants in the cities instead of shields, but they both functioned the same.
Beyond appearance the thing to watch is the scoring of farms. Make sure everyone at the table knows which rules you are using if people are familiar with different editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WRS WRS
Poland
Ropczyce
Podkarpacie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svengaard wrote:
Also, I kind of remember playing Carcassonne ages ago with penants in the cities instead of shields

Wow, are there any photos of those versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott VM
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The shields never physically resembled pennants, but they're called pennants in the rules.

The only deliberate change to the artwork happened with the tiles where two semi-circular city segments are opposite each other, and a road runs between the segments both perpendicular as well as parallel. People thought that the road ran straight through the tile, but the intersection was supposed to interrupt the road. In the first Big Box, some foliage was added at the intersection to eliminate the confusion.

This bit of trivia brought to you by the good people at CarcassonneCentral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WRSZS wrote:
Svengaard wrote:
Also, I kind of remember playing Carcassonne ages ago with penants in the cities instead of shields

Wow, are there any photos of those versions?

The shield icons are called pennants in the rules. Maybe that is what he remembers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.