Subject: 2-player Variant with More Interaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorin Maletsky

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game for Christmas and have played it a lot over the past week, but always with 3 or 4 players since I've got company in town. It's a great game and everyone has really enjoyed it. I've noticed that the 4-player games have more interaction that make the games more interesting (or perhaps less puzzle-like). My company leaves tomorrow and I'm looking forward to playing the game with my wife. I'm sure it will be good based on the comments in BGG, but I was curious if anyone had tried a 2-player variant that had more interaction.

Reducing boards doesn't seem like a reasonable option due to some of the scoring cards.

Has anyone tried playing a "dummy" third person to force some more interaction. I was thinking players would alternate placing the mandatory houses and not take any location tiles with this player (yet still block locations). I wasn't thinking to score them, but I suppose you could.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested to see the replies since most of our games are 2p but I can tell you that the more you play, the more likely you'll find you are able to interact with each other as much or as little as you want. I think as you get more familiar with the game you realize you can manipulate it to go either way. My husband and I are constantly interfering with each other's plans (we've played over 250 times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding in Kingdom Builder: Nomads helps the 2p experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have said that we play with the Nomads exp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LCG 74160
msg tools
maletsky wrote:
Reducing boards doesn't seem like a reasonable option due to some of the scoring cards.

You could remove these few scoring cards that require a complete board.

My preference is one "board section" per player (but four max).

I agree that the Nomads extension does bring something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe give each player 3 scoring cards which they choose one of before the game and keep secret. Then have just one that is known to both. You'd then have to try to figure out what your opponent was trying to do during the course of the game and work out their card. Wouldn't work with the red score-as-you-go cards though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel G. Kristiansen
Denmark
copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I found that playing the normal game with two players is very boring because there is too much space and therefor too little interaction.

When I play two player games now, we only use 2 boards (conected on the longest side) and 24 settlements.

I really prefer this way since it is way more likely that you can mess up your opponents plans by being in the way.

It also makes sure that no player ends up with 8 actions tokens, and way too many opportunities and too little challenge.

And the playing time is also really fitting imo.

Try it out, it is fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does it take to complete a game with only 2 boards ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel G. Kristiansen
Denmark
copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About half an hour. Each placement matters more, bacause there is less space, each choice becomes more crucial, and therefor it takes at bit longer to decide where to place the settlements. And it is also way more important to watch what your opponent does, and try to figure out how to prevent it, and also how to prevent the oppponent from screwing your strategy up.

In a normal two player game there simply is an abundance of resources, so each choice doesnt matter that much, and therefor doesnt require that much time.

So I am pretty sure that even though you only have 24 settlements, each settlement lasts longer than in the regular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mindplay wrote:
So I am pretty sure that even though you only have 24 settlements, each settlement lasts longer than in the regular game.

That's not an improvement for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmh, I'd rather play two games on the large board in half an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Hmh, I'd rather play two games on the large board in half an hour.

Me, too. Maybe it's because we've played so many times, but there is plenty of player interaction in our games using the normal set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel G. Kristiansen
Denmark
copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont get me wrong, it's not that I am a big fan of downtime, just interesting choices.

I also guess a two player game using my settings, is a bit more like 20 minutes or so, but feels to me like a way more stategical/tactical battle, than using all pieces and 4 boards.

Another thing I found out that further improves the "2 board experience" is using two diffrent action token on each board, so there will end up being 4 diffrent actions as in the original game.

By the way, maybe it is just me, but I think that 4 player games can get a bit slow in the end, so in my gaming group we only play with 35 settlements each, when playing four players. This leaves out the 1-2 last turns, which have a habbit of taking a bit long time, and gives more time for more games.

I guess that in 5 player games, it is probably better using only 30 settlements per player, but i havnt tried. Tried playing a 5 player game using 40 settlements, and that took longer than I think was good for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play a four-player game with each player handling two colors. Then either add the scores, or take the low score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
We've played a number of games with 80 pieces each, since as with a lot of games, my wife likes it to last longer. I can't really say if it added more interaction, since by the time we get to the end I'm getting pretty tired out of the game and not really paying as much attention as I should. I would say the board does get pretty crowded and that should increase the interaction. Not that I would recommend, from my personal tastes, to play this way. I think the game is the right length as designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yaagma yaagma
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Adding in Kingdom Builder: Nomads helps the 2p experience.

Could you please elaborate this?
I'ver read the rules and I don't see any 2 player variant.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noon wrote:
You could play a four-player game with each player handling two colors. Then either add the scores, or take the low score.

This.

My wife and I played using this 2-player variant yesterday, each of us playing two sets of settlements. We predetermined that the winner would be the player with the highest score from their lower-scoring color -- and it worked amazingly well!

(Edited to add: we randomly determined which of us would act as first player, but that player would play with only one color at that time. The second player would then play with each of her colors, with the first player then acting as the last player using his second set of settlements.)

Final tally: 59 (my yellow), 57 (her black), 51 (her red), 50 (my blue). Though I had achieved the highest single score and highest combined score, my small misstep on the final play of the game cost me one single point -- and the official victory.

(We decided after the game that -- if I hadn't made that misstep and we had ended in a tie with our lower-scoring settlements -- the tie would have been broken by our higher-scoring settlement sets.)

This variant was so successful, we'll probably use it from now on in all two-player sessions. I might need to create a session report for yesterday's game, if only to highlight the elegance of this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Maletsky

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't played my original suggested variant, but I did try the version Scott tried above with my wife and we liked it a lot. The board filled up rather quickly and there was a lot of interaction. I ended up winning by one point, but my wife had the highest score by a fair amount.

If I understand Scott correctly you essentially play two colors back-to-back to mitigate for the advantage of going first. We found this to be a challenge and frequently we didn't have a chance to look at our second player's card before it was their turn. I think next time we may try with alternating colors.

We liked this 2p variant a lot. You've got lots to think about and taking the lowest of your two scores can cause some interesting decisions.

Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before looking at this we played 2 players with only using only 1 of the ability tiles per location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Kingdom Builder recently and I think if the board feels too empty at low player counts I will try a "Power Grid Variant" - with 62 houses for each player (extra 22 houses coming from my copy of Power Grid, which uses exactly the same shape of houses and two colours match (3 if counting red pieces from KB: Nomads)). This will be 124 houses total for two players and 186 for 3, so even with 3 players it will still be less than standard rules with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mindplay wrote:
Hi, I found that playing the normal game with two players is very boring because there is too much space and therefor too little interaction.

When I play two player games now, we only use 2 boards (conected on the longest side) and 24 settlements.

I really prefer this way since it is way more likely that you can mess up your opponents plans by being in the way.

It also makes sure that no player ends up with 8 actions tokens, and way too many opportunities and too little challenge.

And the playing time is also really fitting imo.

Try it out, it is fun!

I know this thread is dead for almost a year, but …

We played your variant two times today and it was a lot of fun. The board is as crowded as in a four player game (which is good) and the play time is nearly halved (which is good, too. With light games like this, more games per time slot is better, at least for us.)

Thank you for sharing this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel G. Kristiansen
Denmark
copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.