Subject: 2 Player - Husband and Wife rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard S.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
My wife and I generally play board games together, so I decided to give our aggregated feedback regarding Carcassonne for those in our ‘shoes’.

Our ‘New Year’s Resolution’ was to watch less TV for our night wind-down, and play more board-games so we can interact with one another more.

The Settlers of Catan was our gateway game, and I’ll explain why I mention that here:

I enjoy Settlers in groups because it is easy to teach and due to the "luck" component (rolling dice), new players can essentially jump right in and be moderately competitive.

Similarly, Carcassone is quick to pick up, and employs a "luck" component (pulling tiles) enabling new players to be "moderately" competitive.

Learning Curve

The learning curve of Carcassone is quick to pick up by merely reading the rulebook. For further clarification on how to score farms I suggest new players watch the following videos on youtube:

Part 1

Part 2

My wife is not as analytical when it comes to games, and would be quick to put a game on the shelf requiring too much rules. She was able to pick this up very quickly, and is a formidable competitor.

Setup

The game is very quick, and easy to set up. The base game does not have several little pieces to fumble with other than the 8 "meeples" used per person (wooden figures used in the game). In fact, only 7 of those are used during the gameplay as one is used for scorekeeping.

Game Play

The game play is smooth, and enjoyable. We can chat about our day, enjoy a coffee and have fun throughout what I will designate as a "casual game".

There are various styles that one can play within the game which makes things interesting. For instance, my wife could be creating a beautiful city, and feel confident in the future payoff, while in the background I’m waiting to trump it for my own!

Expansion

I purchased the "Big Box" but will say that most of the expansions will gather dust so save your money. I’m a bit of a game "purist" so I don’t really end up playing expansions which change the "feel" of the game.

That being said I recommend Inns and Cathedrals as there are a few more tiles and features that seem to fit very well.

Conclusion

Although the game is quick to learn, and entertaining to play, I find a serious gamer would soon be bored of the game play due to the limited depth of the game. Although the luck component can be alleviated by placing 3 tiles facing up to choose from or selecting one covered tile, the depth of the game just isn’t quite there for me.

My wife and I will enjoy the game for time to come, but for those seeking a complex game with depth you will not find it here. What you will find is a quick and easy to learn -enjoyable game, which can be taught quickly, and pain free.

8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting this together. My wife and I play it often. We just picked up the new 6 mini-expansions and will get them played soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
Mountain Home AFB
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend Traders and Builders with Inn's and Cathedrals. Adds more strategies without too much complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J L
Canada
flag msg tools
Nice article! My SO and I are also board gamers, and so far we've only been able to play games with each other. Do you have a good experience of Carcassonne as a 2-player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Robertson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will find that Carcassonne becomes a bit deeper and reveals its strategies the more you play it. The point is to play with maximum efficiency. The luck of the draw tends to even out and with 2 players we have rarely, if ever, felt that one player had much better tiles than the other.

I guess the maxim for Carcassonne is, "It's not what you're given, but what you do with what you're given that makes the difference."

Oh, and farmers are really powerful but some of the expansions mix that up quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
northerlywind wrote:
Nice article! My SO and I are also board gamers, and so far we've only been able to play games with each other. Do you have a good experience of Carcassonne as a 2-player game?

Yes, my wife and I usually play it 2-player and really enjoy it. The game is great for us because we can enjoy a coffee, and chat about our day while engaged in the board game. When we have friends over who are not necessarily "gamers" it is a good "go-to" game which is quick to teach, and fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Willis
msg tools
This was the entry game for my wife and I into board gaming and we love it.

From playing the boxed version with a glass of wine in an evening to playing the iOS version either across the room or the country we are almost never not playing it.

The expansion of the iOS app have made us purchase expansions for the boxed version and 'Traders & Builders' and 'Bridges, Castles, and Bazaars' arrived this week and we're looking forward to playing those.

We're always looking for for people to play with on the iOS app so if you want to play add 'craiggiarc' and 'merewillis' to GameCentre and tell us that you're from BoardGameGeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.