Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefhen
United States
Noblesville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all (first post!),

I am starting to get into some board games, and Dominion is one of my first buys. I've unboxed my copy and removed the shrink wrap from the 5 bundles of cards that came with it, but I think I'm missing copy might be messed up.

I seem to have an additional card of everything (61 Copper 41 Silver, 11 of each Action cards), but I don't seem to have any randomizer cards. Do these have the Dominion logo on both sides of the cards? The doc says there should be 32 of these, but I don't see any. Also I've read the white cards are extras so I'm assuming these aren't it (I have 7 of these).

The 5 wrapped decks seemed to be thrown together in no order, there were handfulls of one type of card then a few of another etc, so I'm not sure if my packaging was messed up as nothing seemed to be bundled in order when I received it. Do I need to look at getting this fixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
res0nat0r wrote:
Hi all (first post!),

I am starting to get into some board games, and Dominion is one of my first buys. I've unboxed my copy and removed the shrink wrap from the 5 bundles of cards that came with it, but I think I'm missing copy might be messed up.

I seem to have an additional card of everything (61 Copper 41 Silver, 11 of each Action cards), but I don't seem to have any randomizer cards. Do these have the Dominion logo on both sides of the cards? The doc says there should be 32 of these, but I don't see any. Also I've read the white cards are extras so I'm assuming these aren't it.

The 5 wrapped decks seemed to be thrown together in no order, there were handfulls of one type of card then a few of another etc, so I'm not sure if my packaging was messed up as nothing seemed to be bundled in order when I received it. Do I need to look at getting this fixed?

One of those extra cards is a randomizer. It has a blue back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The randomizer cards have a blue border instead of a white border, not a Dominion logo on both sides. Your extra cards are probably just the randomizer cards (so one of each type of card has a blue border, which is the randomizer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefhen
United States
Noblesville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh wow, I just noticed that now.... whistle Haha oops, I didn't even notice without looking closer.

Thanks guys, just looking over the manual I was thinking there was a Dominion logo on both sides of the randomizer card. I see the different color backs now. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said. Be sure to report back when you discover all the Dominion goodness that awaits you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald X explained the weird card order - it's to do with how they're printed and cut out. I presume they're on sheets of 10 by 10, and all the randomizers are in a couple of columns, hence why most of the sets are just the 10 together, then the last block of cards is a bunch of mixed up stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie S
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
res0nat0r wrote:
Oh wow, I just noticed that now.... whistle Haha oops, I didn't even notice without looking closer.

Thanks guys, just looking over the manual I was thinking there was a Dominion logo on both sides of the randomizer card. I see the different color backs now. Thanks again.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to miss the differences -- It isn't just you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefhen
United States
Noblesville
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to miss the differences -- It isn't just you!

Looks like I need to pay more attention next time before posting. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spencer
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Test
I remember being confused about the same thing! I wish the randomizer cards said "randomizer" on the back or something. It's really gotta be easier for people like me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
Except ... that when one uses randomizer cards for the Black-Market set, the backs need to look [at first glance] quite a bit like the normal backs, which they do. Yet; if one had very clear markings [like STASH] that highlighted that they were the randomizer cards then it wouldn't be so good ... I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
Except ... that when one uses randomizer cards for the Black-Market set, the backs need to look [at first glance] quite a bit like the normal backs, which they do. Yet; if one had very clear markings [like STASH] that highlighted that they were the randomizer cards then it wouldn't be so good ... I think.

Or...you could just not play Black Market, like all normal people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
TrevorDay wrote:

Or...you could just not play Black Market, like all normal people.
Oii!! I resent being called normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
Bedoel je dat ik niet normaal ben?
Ik vind black-market soms een heel goed kaart; niet altijd, maar soms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:
Bedoel je dat ik niet normal ben?
Ik vind black-market soms een heel goed kaart; niet altijd, maar soms.
Google Translate to the rescue:
Quote:
You mean I'm not normal?
I find black-market sometimes a very good card, not always, but sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ik merk dat ik het gooien van kaarten op de muur toen mijn tegenstander koopt Kings Court met een Black Market

(I'm guessing you won't need Google Translate to get the gist of that...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TrevorDay wrote:

Using the randomizer cards for the Black Market set is not the official rules, just a shortcut that most people use because they don't want to go through the hassle of picking out a real card from each unused set of 10 cards.

However, many Black Market players use the randomizer cards as a surrogate, but when a player actually buys a Black Market card, they grab a real card from their set to use in their decks.

Or you could do what I do and put all the randomizers in my Time's Up! set as an expansion. (Works pretty well, with the house rule that says you can't say any word on the card when giving clues.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
Is there a finite verb missing? Maar, je bent gelijk. That's the excitement of black-market; you are only one to have a particular card. But, I realise that we are now way off piste; so, I'll shut up now. Good gaming and happy new year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just throw away your randomizers. Use the 10th Kingdom cards as your new randomizers and when Black Market comes along you'll be set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.