Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom alphin
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameboard is pretty large, and I suspect it will limit how many places we can play this game as a 2-player game.

Has anyone designed an alternate fixed board for 2 players? It could be much smaller as the number of hexes which are used for 2 players is quite a bit less.

If not, I may consider putting something together. Ideally, it would be reversible and offer a fixed 3 player board on the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about putting together a magnetic travel version as we like playing this one outside but it can be prone to bumps and windgusts.

Sadly this is likely to just sit on the list of "Things I really get around to doing"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reducing the size of the boards will greatly affect gameplay and balance, since you will affect the number/size of some regions and the VPs scored per regions. Moreover, some boards will be affected more severely than others, which unbalances them from one another. I think this is really a bad idea.

As you mention, there is already a fix for the 2 and 3-player games on the central board with the number of tiles available each round.

If your goal is to reduce the length of the game, I would rather suggest to play 3 or 4 rounds instead of 5. This would also affect game play and balance if players use different boards, but in a more elegant way, at least.

If your goal is to use less space, you can use bags to draw tiles from instead of spreading them by stacks. The central board is already pretty dense as it is now...

EDIT: Ah! I got your point now. You meant physically reduce the central board. Sorry I misunderstood almost every part of the OP's point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tater Salad
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I read it as if he meant the central board and not the player boards. After all, there aren't less tiles per player in the 2 player game (are there?), so there aren't "quite a few tiles less" on each player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Reducing the size of the boards will greatly affect gameplay and balance, since you will affect the number/size of some regions and the VPs scored per regions. Moreover, some boards will be affected more severely than others, which unbalances them from one another. I think this is really a bad idea.

I think the OP just means reducing the size of the central board, as the extra hexes are never used in a 2 player game.

I did not think this game was that large though, it fit on our old small round table, which we used as our guide for games we could buy. But I would be interested in seeing how it looks if someone makes one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea for many reasons... For one the colors are a bit off and it seems this could correct that. And for two I always seems to squint trying to see which ones I filled in and didn't and this could make that process much faster.

So I know I would definitely print/laminate this if someone created it. I do like the idea of a 3-person on the reverse so that for the 4-person you just use the regular one and fill all the hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a two player board someone did in the image gallery, it doesn't look any smaller but it might be a good starting place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Despite the required real estate my wife and I have played CoB on a table at Panda Express and at an outdoor table at Chipotle. If you're not in a hurry and clean the table first, you can get away with a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.