Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the free app convinced me to buy the boxed version, but now comes the hard part: convincing my friends to get into a game which I'm a lot more familiar with than they are.

Now, the scant few games I've found against humans online suggest to me that playing against the AI hasn't made me especially good at the game. But I'm still wondering which characters to nudge them towards so that they don't feel completely helpless even while they're still just figuring it all out.

In other words: I assume they should play Basic or maybe Moderate characters so that they'll enjoy their second or third game, after it starts to click. But among those, are any characters also satisfyingly dangerous *before* it clicks? Or is there another good way to handicap players? (Bonus life for them? I show them which Style I'm picking before they play their face-down pair?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually give people Cadenza. He's straightforward and really good at 'making up lost ground' (a successful Clockwork -anything- or Press can turn a "lost" game into a tight match).

Also, you should check out the expansion on Kickstarter ---

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-d...

EDIT: And I typically play as Seth for my first game against someone; because he's very hard to play well, especially against the unpredictable "totally new player"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I will try giving out Cadenza at my game night tonight.

(And yeah, I've been eyeing Devastation eagerly, but decided the path of prudence was to find ways to try out War in person before the new KS ended, lest I discover, in the months between buying the expansion and receiving it, that I won't have anyone to play it with. Because nothing's sadder sitting there on the shelf than an unplayed expansion for an underplayed game.)

(Which means I'm now regularly checking the progress of a Kickstarter that I haven't backed, which I suppose is even sillier than buying a game I don't have opponents for.)

EDIT: As soon as I typed that last paragraph, I realized I could back Devastation without splurging on the whole game yet. So if BattleCON is a hit with my friends I'll upgrade my pledge, but if not, having a playable Juto to round out my copy of War will be well worth $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget that Dev and War both have free print and play versions! You can print out a few characters from each, sleeve them with Magic cards (or playing cards) and get the game to a table and find out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukyuk might potentially be a decent button-mashing character. I'm not saying that from experience; this is just speculation. But as long as you can keep your distance, his insane ranged attacks should hit pretty consistently.

Also Luc Von Gott. Just keep spamming his fast attacks and pumping his Priority. You won't hit hard, but you should hit consistently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
www.ryanlangewisch.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet myself, but if you are teaching your "friends" (plural), I feel like having them fight each other would be a good way to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berjerber Sanchez
United States
California
flag msg tools
what i do to make it more fun for the new player is to just give myself an absolutely horrible matchup with my opponent's character on the winning side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for the suggestions!

One friend came over tonight, and we ended up playing two rounds-- the first, I played Demitras and beat his Hikaru. The second, he played Luc and skunked my Rukyuk, 20-0.

"Fast characters seem kind of broken," he said.

"I want a rematch of that last one," I said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Thanks to all for the suggestions!

One friend came over tonight, and we ended up playing two rounds-- the first, I played Demitras and beat his Hikaru. The second, he played Luc and skunked my Rukyuk, 20-0.

"Fast characters seem kind of broken," he said.

"I want a rematch of that last one," I said.
Had you played Rukyuk before? He's probably a bit more difficult to handle against a speedy, mobile character like Luc. But slower characters can and do beat faster characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Had you played Rukyuk before? He's probably a bit more difficult to handle against a speedy, mobile character like Luc. But slower characters can and do beat faster characters.

Yeah, no, I had not played Rukyuk before. I was erring way on the side of giving myself a challenge because I hate, hate, hate when game results end up feeling pre-decided because of different experience levels. So I may have gone a little too far.

Like I said, I felt as though that matchup would have gone at least somewhat better for me if we played it a second time. But it was late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Yeah, no, I had not played Rukyuk before. I was erring way on the side of giving myself a challenge because I hate, hate, hate when game results end up feeling pre-decided because of different experience levels. So I may have gone a little too far.

Like I said, I felt as though that matchup would have gone at least somewhat better for me if we played it a second time. But it was late.

Rukyuk takes some finessing to get working right, he does things so differently because he leverages spacing in a unique way. One good bit of advice for your Rukyuk is to use Pulse (if you are playing with special actions) to buy yourself full board spacing if the pressure gets too high.

Also, WoI Luc is a wee bit strong. Flash with 3 spaces of movement and his 3 token ante "warp" ability timing as it is make him strong against everyone (there were some recommended errata's around here somewhere for him, and Vannah as well if I recall -- hopefully the Dev Kickstarter will include "WoI errata updates"; I believe it does but am not certain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, Vanaah has errata? I knew about the nerf to Luc's Flash, but what is different with Vanaah?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Wait, Vanaah has errata? I knew about the nerf to Luc's Flash, but what is different with Vanaah?

I thought Judgement got changed, maybe that was for the iOS version - or maybe it was from an old version of the iOS. I've got a lot of BattleCON in my brain, I could very easily be confused.

The important one is Luc mind you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kweku
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think I do remember reading/hearing/seeing somewhere that Vanaah is being buffed up in the "Updated/patched" version of the characters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luc is definitely getting the nerf hammer to reduce the effectiveness of Flash. I remember seeing his win stats on IOS and he's hands above others because of it.

That being said. When I play War with folks who use Luc, I know they'll play flash when it's in their hand and it's so fun to counter them (for the expression on their face).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.