$10.00
Moses Good
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a buddy of mine that is dead set that to use Rage out of the Berzerker deck and attacking is considered as a single action. I have looked on other forums and have only found the answer once but I want other opinions on this. Heroes have the upper hand and I as the OL need all the help I can get. Help!!!
SO basically what he is saying is that he can use rage every time he attacks and that's considered 1 action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right. He uses an action (and a fatigue) to activate Rage, which then lets him make an attack, and that attack receives a bonus.

---

I've been using the same justification to attack twice with Elementals' Fire powers. He's not attacking, he's just using a special action. Resolving that action happens to require resolving an attack.

edit: I've been corrected as to this point, and will point it out to my group at our next session. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
From my understanding, he could use it twice, but he would have to lose one Stamina each time. So it would only work up to his maximum Stamina score. Once he was at his maximum Stamina, he would be unable to use it again. Of course, if that's the case, the hero could just rest to get their Stamina back, but they sort of "waste" part of a turn to do that.

At least that's my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moses Good
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But at the beginning of the description it has an arrow which is considered an action in the rules. attacking is an action also. I dunno... just trying to be fair to me as well as to not upset him also

I've read the FFG official FAQ and it mentions nothing of this. Can someone point me to the actual rule in the book or a link that will help clear this up more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It helps to quote the card in question:

Quote:
Rage
{action}: Perform an attack with a Melee weapon.
This attack gains +1 {heart}.

Cost: 1 Fatigue

The action icon means that you must use an action to use this ability. You also have to spend a fatigue to use the ability. The ability itself allows you to make an attack with a Melee weapon.

Really all this does is allow the Berserker to spend a fatigue and gain +1 damage to the attack. It's not that powerful, and there are much greater things to spend fatigue on...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I've been using the same justification to attack twice with Elementals' Fire powers. He's not attacking, he's just using a special action. Resolving that action happens to require resolving an attack.

Your game, your rules.. But I think that has been confirmed incorrect as monsters can only perform one attack action and as it is worded in Elementals ability "Fire", you perform an attack action that just has special features.

To post on the topic, what shnar said. You are confusing "action" icon with an icon from another game where it means that the card is used for that turn. If a skill doesn't tell you to "exhaust" it, nothing prevents a hero from attempting to use it twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
likelyrooster wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

Your game, your rules.. But I think that has been confirmed incorrect as monsters can only perform one attack action and as it is worded in Elementals ability "Fire", you perform an attack action that just has special features.

To post on the topic, what shnar said.

To keep off topic, here's the exact rule:

Quote:
Monster Action: Some monsters have unique actions listed on their
Monster card with a {action}‘. If any special action allows the monster to
perform an attack, it counts as the monster’s one attack action for
that activation.

Descent 2nd Ed Rulebook, Page 11

So Risto is correct, the Elemental can use its "Fire" ability only once per turn.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moses Good
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK guys.... I appreciate all the responses and rapid responses at that. Hell, I just posted this under 30 minutes ago. Fairly new to the Board Game scene and having a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
If it helps, make sure they declare a Rage use before they roll, it is (and includes as discussed above) an attack with a special feature, is is not just a pay-fatigue-for-1-dmg-after-the-fact thing. No saving fatigue on those pesky Xes.

Also, since it is/includes an attack in itself, no stacking with other similar is-an-attack skills like Whirlwind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosesgood wrote:
But at the beginning of the description it has an arrow which is considered an action in the rules. attacking is an action also.
That's right. Arrow means action and heroes have two actions each turn. They can perform actions in any combination from those available to them (even two identical actions). Berserker if bought Rage skill can perform this action any time he has an action (and stamina).
If card says 'Exhaust this card...' then it is usable once per turn (which is indicated by rotating that card). And sometimes exhausting does not use action (e.g. Disciple basic skill 'Prayer of Healing').

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
If Rage required you to spend an action for the skill AND an action for the attack, it would be worse than useless. You could spend those two actions to just attack normally twice, which would cause more damage, among a more versatile range of targets and for no fatigue expenditure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text is rather clear, "Perform an attack" not "Make an attack action". When you use Rage, you get an attack as part of that action.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
If it helps, make sure they declare a Rage use before they roll, it is (and includes as discussed above) an attack with a special feature, is is not just a pay-fatigue-for-1-dmg-after-the-fact thing. No saving fatigue on those pesky Xes.

Also, since it is/includes an attack in itself, no stacking with other similar is-an-attack skills like Whirlwind.

This is something worth emphasizing, because my group got used to thinking of Rage as simply "spend a fatigue before rolling dice to increase the damage by 1," and we were doing it in conjunction with Counter Attack and Charge. These are NOT valid moves.

The best way to think about stuff with the action arrow is this: if something has an action arrow, you must spend an action (and whatever other cost is noted, as in fatigue or exhausting), but once that action is spent, you get to do everything listed in the card's text.

For this skill in particular, I'd echo what Chris said: if Rage consumed two actions and a fatigue, there would be literally no reason to ever use it in favor of a double attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
This is something worth emphasizing, because my group got used to thinking of Rage as simply "spend a fatigue before rolling dice to increase the damage by 1," and we were doing it in conjunction with Counter Attack and Charge. These are NOT valid moves.

My group's pretty good at this and we usually just modify the verbs we use. It's just a language that naturally evolved while playing. Instead of "I attack", the player usually says "I'm raging" or "I'm Charging".

As Overlord, I tend to be a bit more formal -- "He's using his Howl ability".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moses Good
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for continuing this thread. You guys have been more than helpful on this. We discussed this for 10 minutes and completely stopped playing. Hell, he even called Fantasy Flight Games to get a resolution. . They told him they don't answer questions like that over the phone and just go to FFG Forums and ask but I prefer BGG. Thanks again guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
As to schnar's point:

So Risto is correct, the Elemental can use its "Fire" ability only once per turn.

Isn't the point that you can't attack AND use the Fire ability? I understand that you can't use Fire twice, but you also can't attack as one action and then use the Fire ability too, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Monster can either use fire ability or attack normally. Not both in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.