jos s
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A question about the text on the card: Mowtil Djinni Lich, it reads:

1. "Magic Attack required"
2. "Add Health +1 for each card present"

My first assumption is that I can only attack Mowtil with magic attacks.
Second is that I increase Mowtil's health +1 with EACH CARD PRESENT.

So do I add 6 health points, when I revealed 6 cards in the dungeon?
Or do only the cards with magic attacks count?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you reveal 6 cards, Mowtil gets an additional 6 health, regardless of their type. However "Magic attack required" doesn't exclude physical attacks - it just means that you must have at least one point of magic attack present in your hand to fight him.

Just remember that once you've declared Village or Dungeon for your action, you must reveal your entire hand, so no holding anything back to reduce the additional health that Mowtil receives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it should be +6 (normally, unless you get to discard/destroy cards before visiting the dungeon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos s
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D M
msg tools
What about cards like Familiars, Avatars, Treasures (pre-advance), Circle of Protection, cards in your tableau but not from hand, would they be considered revealed (and thus added to his health total)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Thunderstone Advance: Caverns of Bane rulebook FAQ, page 5:

What does it mean for a card to be "present"?

The card is in YOUR HAND at the time the effect takes place. Note that cards are not played from your hand - your hand is revealed when you visit the village or enter the dungeon. Cards drawn or added to your hand become present when you draw them. When an ability or effect does not specify the location of the card to be acted on, it refers to a card "present".

So I guess this discounts cards in the tableau, including the CoP unless it was part of the hand when the effect took place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
Because the clarification Fernando cites doesn't explicitly mention Familiars, I understand the following to still be in effect:

Towers of Ruin p.12 wrote:
Your hand consists of all cards you have drawn this turn and have present. Familiars are considered part of your hand.

So a Familiar is considered present, and therefore would empower Mowtil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
Because the clarification Fernando cites doesn't explicitly mention Familiars, I understand the following to still be in effect:

Towers of Ruin p.12 wrote:
Your hand consists of all cards you have drawn this turn and have present. Familiars are considered part of your hand.

So a Familiar is considered present, and therefore would empower Mowtil.

Yes correct, as familiars are specified as being part of your hand. Because of this statement I am now a bit unsure about Circle of Protections then!!! Because of this statement on page 12 of the ToR rulebook I may have to reconsider my previous post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reply from AEG on this question is

Quote:
Yep. All cards present count. Familiars are present as well as things on the table.

So yes, Familiars, Circle of Protection, and any other cards face up at the start of your turn are considered "present".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm -- "present" includes familiars and anything else you have on the table ready to be played, but not strictly in your hand, such as pre-Advance treasures and Circle of Protection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.