World in Flames» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Noobs in flames (again) - 23 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco semori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys here is our report about our global war playing by Vassal.
We are playing with all expansions (except Lif and Fif), all optional rules (except tankers and intelligence) and the 2d10 system.
This is our second Global War!

Hope you enjoy it, sorry for the mistakes, my english is pretty bad.
Recap at the end.

Players:
Me - Germany and Italy
Fefe - Japan
Once again the bad guys!

Alle - US, CW, Naz. China.
Matte - URSS, France, Comm. China
Matte is the new good guy :)

M/J ‘43

A little, bloody couple of months takes place over the Europe.
The IJWM (Imperial Japanese weather machine) had some problems at the start and the weather all over the Europe come through storm and rain.

In the mud the German units move to their position in the North and the Russian do the same in the South.
The pause allow the two army to bring reinforces and new planes.
Then as soon the sun appears in the sky the grey army takes the initiative launching his programmed offensive.

In the North the Luftwaffe fly her objects flipping a lot of corps all over the line, in the south have less success to stuck the Russian army but are able to shot down an enemy Ftr and to flip Zukov.

Then in the north the Arm and the Mech move on lead by Manstein, the advance south of Kaunas (rechristen Kaus) sees the SS units from the city and from the river conquer lot of empty esa! Hooray!

Some Russian units are so amazed by this strange carriages without horses that are trampled unnoticed by the German pilots.
It was a mistake of course but the Russian want not heard any reasons and launch an attack in the South (showing their deceit!) where German live in peace with only occasional ground strikes.

The Ru units approach the wood where a wise man (Guderian) was pondered and smoking his pipe (an Art), and attack him treacherously! But Guderian are the two times world champion of hide-and-seek so the Russian follow him in the wood all the time but are unable to find him or his pipe and also one of their Arm Div fall down and graze oneself knee so have to go home in tears (1/B result).

In the rest of Europe German go on to move new units from Finland (Wehrmacht Erasmus Program) and to call back units from Spain with ships and Atr and to reinforce Madrid.
An assault near Bilbao end with a 1/1.

In the Med a little air battle ended with a CW Ftr and a CW CV sunk by the It Nav before they are forced to leave the area.

Back to Asia, the IJA advance unopposed in Manchuria, the Red Army fall back running in the mud of the swamp and hidden in the mountains, the plains are finally free, Russian still hold Harbin and quite all the mountains and for now no one of the 2 armies are strong enough to do much better.
US reinforce Singapore and sunk a Trs in a port attack over Kuala Lumpur then the 2 fleet prepare themselves for the big battle that might succeed… (spoiler: it happen in J/A and it was epic! Stay tuned!).

In the and as usual the coward Wallies take their revenge over the poor German civilians.
First of all the Russian fleet sunk 4 Cp loaded of orphans that are coming back from Finland after had their first holiday on the skies.
Than the CW produce more orphans to replace the losses of them bombing Lille, Madrid and Lipzig (4 bp lost).
How bad the Wallies can be?

Loss R 16, G 20 + 4Bp, It 13, CW 17,

39 S/O
Poland and Denmark crushed, Ark Royal sunk, US gain a bunch of chits.

39 N/D
Netherlands and Belgium conquered, Mao killed, Japanese advance in the north and in the south.

40 G/F
Some CP raid, Japanese keep advance in the north and in the south and strat Chinese.

40 M/A
Poor action all over the world, Lan-chow hold, German find nothing in the BoA

40 M/J
Offensive in France crack the line and destroy enemy Airforce but doesn't achieve a completely success, Japanese conquer Kwey-Yang, US farm chits.

40 J/A
German conquer 2 esa on Paris with losses, Italy DOW France and conquer Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria. Japan conquer Lan Chow and Nanking.

40 S/O
Bad weather froze all the move, German sink the first cp of war.

40 N/D
Bad weather freeze the Europe, Japan take 1 esa on Kunning and 1 on Chunking, US reopen Burma Road and freeze Japanese assets.

41 G/F
German conquer the third esa on Paris, Japanese second on Chunking, rain and snow no much action.

41 M/A
Paris conquered and Vichy is set up, German redepoy to east and Africa, Japanese advance on Chunking.

41 J/A
Some combat in Bob, German sunk 9CP, CW destroy Metz, Vichy sunk a CW CV.
Russia dows Rumania and conquers oil fields, German aling Ungheria, CW dow Italy and sunk a lot of Regia Marina.
Japan conquer Chunking, the plains and the mountains.

41 S/O
Rumania conquered by Russia, minor fight in the ocean.

41 N/D
US fail to dow Jap, German conquer Yugoslavia for no losses, Italian subs sink a bunch of CP in the BoB, CW invades near La Rochelle.

42 G/F
German try to conquer Gilblatar but fail, so buy Spain.
Japan dow US and CW conquer Rabaul, Singapore, Aden, Columbus and debark in the Philippines. Russia dow Japan moving slowly to the Manchurian capital.

42 M/A
US at total war. US reinforce NEI and Philippines, IJN sink the first CV and win some naval battle.
German avoid a US invasion in Spain and kill some ships i BoB.
Japanese CP are slaughtered.

42 M/J
Little naval battle in Europe and Asia, Russian conquer Harbin, Wallies advance in Morocco.

42 J/A
Japanese conquer Telok Batong. Naval battles in the BoB, Germna DOW Russia, conquer Poland, Rumania and Blatic states.

42 S/O
Bulgary conquered, Italian invade Haifa, German CV sunk, minor naval battle in the East, Japanese conquer Manila and the Philippines

42 N/D
Major offensive in Russian the German fall back to Kaunas, Italian kicked out fro Middle East, minor fight in the Pacific.

43 J/F
Russian kill more units in the offensive, Italy are badly hit in the Med, CW invade near Barcellona.

43 M/A
US invade Singapore, big battle in SCS and Med, Russian offensive suffer a setback. Wallies advance in Spain.

43 M/J
German attack in the north and retreat in Spain, Russian advance in the South and retreat in Mancuria, little battle in the Med and heavy strat over Germany and Spain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like my opponent said (and that's one of the few times that he spoke the truth) little action happens during these otherwise traditionally busy months. Winter doesn’t seems willing to give way to Summer and rains keeps pouring down the northern and the moonson regions for most of the turn. The result is much hustle, but little action in the Far East, and thus the Mediterranean becomes the most interesting stage for our favourite warmongers… much to Mussolini’s discomfort. The Italian fleet, already wounded during wintertime, is hit again by the Queen’s Navy and utterly crippled. With most of the ships on the bottom of the sea, or in the repair pool, just a half dozen BBs and SCS remain afloat and are forced to take shelter in the italian ports.
Also, the fascist NAVs are forced to land by the british air force, and CW takes the empty Med as an invitation to invade an unsupplied and undefended Gabes (Tunisia), as the first step of the after-Spain strategy. Since Italy won’t have any TRS ‘till september, I reckon that Tripoli’s garrison will feel a little lonely in the coming couple of months.

Tunisia and Lybia at the beginning of July

Spain. The Wallies continue their advance in the iberic peninsula, crushing some leftover defenders in the process. The axis has almost completely evacuated the region, preferring to build some serious barricades on the Pyrenees, settin up a front that stretches from Bilbao to Barcelona. Madrid is the only stronghold still in german hands south of the mountains, but it looks like it won’t resist past July.

And just a tad before July, the artic region eventually sees some light, after nine impulses of dull rain and storm. Germany has the initiative and Mainstein leads a blitz (+13) across the Neman, south of Kaunas, routing the defenders (22 rolled) and forcing the Red Army to regroup a little back. The russian answer takes place just north of Cernauti, where Gauderian is nonchalantly hiding in the underbrush, together with a flipped ART… Hey Heinz, I gotcha! A lucky ground strike flips the HQ, but an average blitz roll (+9, 20 rolled) just manages to send it back to the home country in exchange for a shattered mech division (+1/B)... That man Gauderian is slippery like a wet eel!

All in all, just a couple of skirmishes take place on the german-russian front in may/june, but it’s everyone guess that there will soon be some consistant bloodshed, since the forces are more or less balanced, there’s virtually no river between the armies, and there are three O-chit ready to burn (two german, one russian).

One last word about the production this turn: Germany has suffered the loss of 4PP from english strategic bombardments and couldn’t count on most of the spanish production and swedish resources (the CPs in the Baltic being sunk by russian SUBs). 29 nazi BPs really put a smile on my face

Notes: triangles are small islands with ports, swords are battles fought this turn, crowns are conquered or liberated countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
teobius wrote:

Matteo, these maps are cool. How do you do them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you Wendel!

I handicrafted it with photoshop, drawing the outline of the countries over a real 1939 world map (and making Europe a little larger than the rest). Now I have a photoshop file with different layers, one for the outline, one for the colors, and several for the battle and conquest markers. I also made a layer with all the resources and factories and one with major and minor ports, but I think those are not really useful. Anytime I need to edit it, I do it manually with photoshop, using the brush and paint bucket. It's not a long task, just a few minutes, since the changes from turn to turn are usually quite small.

Do you think it could be useful to other members of the forum? If it is so I could upload the files of the initial blank map (maybe a psd and a jpg).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
teobius wrote:
Do you think it could be useful to other members of the forum? If it is so I could upload the files of the initial blank map (maybe a psd and a jpg).

I really don't know becaust it's very interesting but not necessarily WIF-specific. It might not get past moderation. I wish there were a way to upload files to your personal gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see... makes sense. Well, if you or anyone else wish it I can attach the file to a BGG-mail, I guess. The PSD is 1.6 Mb, and the jpg 226 Kb. Just let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.