Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Dillon
United States
Spring Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught Dominion to a few friends of mine last week, & they really enjoyed it. I used the suggested first game with one or two substitutions but I don't remember what was swapped in or out. All the cards were from the base game. Now they want to play again. I own every expansion available. I also own Black market & Governer as promotional cards.

Any recommendations for the next game's setup? Just pull random? Certain cards to avoid? Any specific sets of ten to use? Stick to the base game, or open it up to every expansion? Maybe just one or two expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go random but stick to just one or two of the expansions to pull from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I would go random but stick to just one or two of the expansions to pull from.
I'll second this. My favorite sets are ones where we only pull from 2 expansions. They tend to have a lot of synergy and theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr_steve_dillon wrote:
Any recommendations for the next game's setup? Just pull random? Certain cards to avoid? Any specific sets of ten to use? Stick to the base game, or open it up to every expansion? Maybe just one or two expansions?

I've taught the game a lot, and once they have the basic mechanisms down from a game or two with the First Game set, I've rarely had problems just playing with whatever.

Full random from everything can be fun, but depending on how you have your cards organized it can be a pain to set up and tear down. Also, you lose a bit of the flavor of the individual sets. I like just pulling from two or three sets at a time, which is easier and still mostly gives the random experience. But it's also fun to play from cards from just one (full-sized) set. Each set has its own personality, so you can get that full experience playing them standalone. You can't really do that with the small sets, though.

We usually play with some sort of random setup, although some people like to have vetoes. One advantage of random is that it brings out combinations you never would have thought to try on your own. Some of them end up being unfun, but it's not as common as you might think. Usually there's at least the challenge of finding something to make out of the ugly Kingdom. But hey, if there's a particular card you want to play, don't hesitate to throw it in there.

So what I'm saying, I guess, is do what you want. It's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie S
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My recommendation is actually to use only (at most) one or two expansions (as already suggested) but try out one of the "recommended setups" from the back of a manual. They really are chosen with some good card combos.

I probably play 90% of my games random, but lately have been really surprised by just how interesting some of the recommended setups really can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer max 2 or 3 expansions, as the cards tend to work well together.

Often if we're playing a series of games...

Any card piles that were exhausted or near exhaustion are removed.
Overall Loser gets to remove one card pile.

Then with what's left, fill in the gaps and play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I taught it to my sister, I pulled Militia and put in Witch for the second game to introduce the concept of Curses. I may have also put in a non-Chapel trasher to introduce trashing other cards. After that, I selected in a pseudo-random fashion to gradually introduce other concepts (I think Action/Victory cards then Durations and that was as far as we got that night). So basically introducing concepts in the order they were introduced in the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also just stick with the reccomended sets for just a little while with new players.

What we often do with new players is go for a reccomended set from either dominion only or intrigue only and then a reccomended set from an expansions plus dominion or expansion plus intrigue. After that we throw them into the deep end and start drafting and give enough time for the new player to ask questions.

For our basic games with non-new players we still usually go wi a reccomended set that includes an expansion we feel we haven't seen enough of and then go to the drafting. We seldom go for completely random.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bates
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of gamers are your friends? I would stick with the base game or Intrigue with recomended sets for the first few games if they are not heavy gamers. Then start mixing in other expansions and start randomizing decks to boost the complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others have said, it depends on what kind of gamers your friends are. If they're already regular gamers, you're gonna have zero problem doing just about anything. If they're very casual gamers, maybe if they struggled with the first game, I'd stick to the base game only and do one of it's recommended sets. If they're somewhere between - picked up the rules okay but aren't really regular gamers then perhaps try a recommended set from another expansion, perhaps one that also uses base (Intrigue+base or Seaside+base should be easy enough for them to understand).

In case you haven't seen them already, every rulebook contains some recommended sets which mix cards from one-two expansions each. Those should all be pretty fun, easy to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stephens
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My gamer buddies like messing with others, so which expo would be good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.