Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sokolowski
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear FFG,

You know I'm a huge fan of Arkham Horror and especially Mansions of Madness. You know I'm the target audience - you know how to market these items specifically to me. The equation is easy: you sell what I want to buy, I buy it.

But after the debacle of the last MoM big box expansion, why on earth would I pre-order this? Yes, I will buy what you sell, but please don't take me as a sucker. Your last big box expansion was so horribly messed up that you've really burnt pretty much ALL good will that would take your word at face value.

Please, don't even try to pre-sell this. Just put it out, have it be PERFECT, and slowly begin accumulating the good will necessary to have your fans pre-order.

But in the meantime, I'll wait until it ships. Color me jaded, perhaps, but... seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all well and good but, well... *someone* has to buy it first. *Someone* has to be that sucker. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too hope FFG has been more diligent in its testing and proofing this time around, but your plea is misdirected. Retailers take pre-orders, not FFG. There is no option to pre-order the expansion on FFG's site, nor have I ever seen such an option for any of their products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
*someone* has to buy it first. *Someone* has to be that sucker. ninja

Or do they? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sokolowski
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
There is no option to pre-order the expansion on FFG's site, nor have I ever seen such an option for any of their products.

I've been seeing an ad to pre-order this all day on the right hand banner, here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McTeague
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
That's all well and good but, well... *someone* has to buy it first. *Someone* has to be that sucker. :ninja:

Yeah! I was the sucker for Forbidden Alchemy! This time I'll make someone else that sucker! Someone else will buy it first.

*feels salty staring at me through the internet*

Yeah, I'm probably going to have this on the release date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Iammars wrote:
*feels salty staring at me through the internet*

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Sokolowski wrote:
I've been seeing an ad to pre-order this all day on the right hand banner, here on BGG.

When you click on it, does it go to FFG's site or a retailer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McTeague
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
It goes to FFG's site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour me an enthusiastic fanboy, but I'll be ordering this as soon as I can. I really love the MoM system. I REALLY want this game to be successful.

I am prepared to give FFG the benefit of the doubt because they handled the FA situation so well. CP did the writeup on the FFG site and took ownership of the problems and fixed them. They even took the time to get some feedback from various sources and added to the list of components to be supplied (twice, from memory).

Granted, we all would have rather had a functional expansion out of the box, but considering the problems, it was well sorted IMHO.

I trust that the lesson has been well and truly learned from FA, and that CotW will be 'good to go' from the moment the shrink wrap comes off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a MoM sucker I'll order it immediately, even if I was more than shocked over what a disaster the last 'big box' expansion has been.

The new content just looks brilliant. More open, more creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
rashktah wrote:
The new content just looks brilliant. More open, more creative.

In my opinion the real problem with Forbidden Alchemy wasn't the stuff that needed the fixpack (which was sloppy and inexcusable but really didn't affect playability that much) but the content itself. Two of the scenarios were bad, the third was great by MoM standards but still plagued by major balance issues (esp. from Summon Worshippers, and objective 1B was just plain broken), the alchemy puzzles were a terrible gimmick, and the whole thing felt very "more of the same". And these are underlying problems the fixpack didn't touch.

I can't be sure whether CotW will be released with typos or anything of that sort, but I can be sure that it won't suffer from those same underlying problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meh
United Kingdom
devon
flag msg tools
If they haven't playtested it to death and scrutinised the production thereby resulting in problems they will be gambling their reputation massively and I am sure they are aware of this. Two glorious f-ups would reflect very badly both financially and in the community so I am sure they would have checked and checked again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iammars wrote:
It goes to FFG's site.

Ah, so it does. I still don't see an option to pre-order through FFG's site, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
I, for one, will be buying this expansion just as soon as it's possible to do so. Can not wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got MoM recently. Don't have any of the expansions, but I've heard a lot about people saying there were problems with MoM. I went on their website and got the replacement cards for MoM but out of the 11 replacement cards I received, only 2 of them were worded differently than the originals. The rest of the cards in this pack were identical to the ones I already had.

Some of the people in this thread said that Forbidden Alchemy was worse. I haven't bought that expansion yet but maybe somebody could explain what all these problems with the MoM games were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phrank johnston
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm that sucker. I pre-ordered mine, and can't wait for it to arrive. Our group has got some pretty smart folks in it; we'll hopefully be able to get past any typos or mistakes we find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"- - - maybe somebody could explain what all these problems with the MoM games were."

Generally the problems were due to inattention to detail, and clear lack of playtesting for some of the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inexperienced. I've set up the first scenario and tried to play through it alone just so I can get a feel for it, in preparation for when I have people come over. I didn't see anything wrong with it. I'll have to see when we actually run through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I gather, since the Forbidden Alchemy debacle, FFG have improved their QA process (there was a press release around the time of Forbidden Alchemy in regard to this). For example, I've seen that our very own Roberta Yang - BGG resident MoM expert - is now a playtester for them.

The fact that FFG are now recruiting playtesters from among those who are most passionate and pernickity about their games should hopefully mean that things will improve somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansions looks so good. Can't wait to get it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
They also handled sending out replacement parts promptly too. It was a very annoying mistake (or series of mistakes?) but they did fix up the problems in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, preordered.

My chosen shop says it's a January-release? Can anybody confirm this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
rashktah wrote:
My chosen shop says it's a January-release? Can anybody confirm this?

FFG posted the rulebook, which implies that it's being released in a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how the people who bought Forbidden Alchemy early were suckers. We got the replacement parts before the stores got the replacement boxes, and we got a free novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.