Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested to know if the title alludes to the
Matthew Arnold poem Dover Beach:

And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Of course this may have been answered somewhere but, if so, I did not come across it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A distant plain
It comes from Brian Train the designer, who drew it from a nonsense poem. Volko also notes a reference in a Kipling poem... Like an good quote, it has a lot of resonance. Appreciate the addition of the Matthew Arnold work.

Quote:

Quote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hastik
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the prompt reply and for pointing me towards the relevant articles, complete with links, too.
Funny how with certain lines one can tell they might be from some poem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pulling out out poetry references Jeff!

Michael, I did think of the Matthew Arnold poem, but Ignorant Armies: Iran-Iraq War got there first. I still like the Edward Lear reference better.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kipling poem has the benefit of being about earlier wars in Afghanistan. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the game title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes.
Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hastik
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

Michael, I did think of the Matthew Arnold poem, but Ignorant Armies: Iran-Iraq War got there first. I still like the Edward Lear reference better.

Brian

Thanks for chiming in. Especially as, in hindsight, a little more research on my part might have had me a) look at a thread called "Origin of the name of the game?" before posing my question and b) discover the earlier Ignorant Armies game.
I can certainly see how the nonsensical nature of Lear's lines resonates with you given the nature of the conflict depicted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hastik
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
The Kipling poem has the benefit of being about earlier wars in Afghanistan. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the game title.

Kipling may get the place right but despite the image of that particular stanza his faith in Empire is still intact back in 1892.
The dark disillusion in Arnold's much earlier poem (ca. 1851) nevertheless strikes me as more modern and much more appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jablow
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategos Memnon wrote:
PaulWRoberts wrote:

Kipling may get the place right but despite the image of that particular stanza his faith in Empire is still intact back in 1892.
The dark disillusion in Arnold's much earlier poem (ca. 1851) nevertheless strikes me as more modern and much more appropriate.

If I remember correctly, Pax Britannica used Recessional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.