Subject: Isn't this essentially the same game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunther Verbelen
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering, I heard talk about Bananagrams on a podcast and recognised it as Mixmo.

Is it essentially the same game or are there major differences since they have separate pages here? My gamegroup has quite a few wordgamers, so I might pick up a copy if it's different enough.

Gunther/ Iro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the equipment is essentially the same; you could play
either game with either bag of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's also a clone of the earlier games Pick Two! and Double Quick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

But the designer was always quick to point out that he'd never encountered either of those games when he and his family were making up Bananagrams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Werebear wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

But the designer was always quick to point out that he'd never encountered either of those games when he and his family were making up Bananagrams.
I'd say that, too, if I feared a big lawsuit. :)

But I suspect somewhere along the way, there is a common ancestor (probably a parlor game using Scrabble tiles) that all these "Pick Two" games descend from and the Bananagrams designer was somehow exposed to that. That's way more plausible than the idea that he never saw the predecessors and still came with exactly the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Werebear wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

I would say that there's a high probability he's being truthful. Especially with simple concepts like Bananagrams, many people think of the same idea at the same or different times without ever knowing what the others are coming up with.

For instance, the jet airplane engine was simultaneously invented in germany and england by two inventors who had never heard of each other's work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The 60s were not the same without
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Syzygy uses about twice as many tiles, but the rules are exactly the same.

Edit: Not exactly correct. The description apparently leaves out the fact that unlike Syzygy and Take Two whoever calls doesn't have to draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.