Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Replacing own power plants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Sheppard
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't able to find an answer when I searched for this, so here goes.


When you acquire your 4th plant that requires you to retire one of your other ones. What happens to the cites / connections that plant is connected to?

1. Are they destroyed? ie removed from the board and put back into your stock?

2.Or does the new plant simply replace the old and supplies power to those existing cities / connections?

3. What if your new plant supplies power to less cities than you currently supply power to?
3a. Do you remove a city / connection?
3b. If you do remove a city / connection, is it arbitrary?
3b1. Can you choose to remove a city / connection that would isolate another city / connection?


~R
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing that connects a particular plant to any particular cities.

Replacing the plant does not affect the cities on the map at all.

If your new plant supplies power to less cities than you currently supply power to, then you probably should not have bought it, but you NEVER remove cities from the map. It is not required that you supply power to the cities that you own. You can even buy cities that you cannot possibly power, though this is rarely a terribly good idea (though I have done it myself once or twice).
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Sheppard
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was super quick.

I think I have this, correct me if I'm wrong.

So the cites represent the physical copper lines that you run to a location. You've built the capacity to potentially supply that city with power. However, whether you can is dependent on the the size of the actual power source, ie the power plants you own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
RogalDorn wrote:
[...]
So the cites represent the physical copper lines that you run to a location. You've built the capacity to potentially supply that city with power. However, whether you can is dependent on the the size of the actual power source, ie the power plants you own.

Exactly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend reading Power Grid FAQ to clear up such major misunderstandings.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen

Smyrna
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the first time I have ever seen that question come up. I liked it enough to comment.

However, it did spawn an interesting 'human' element. How often do we apply logic or other game mechanics to new experiences (or games) that in the given rule (or experience) really don't make any mention of such a mechanic? Its as though humans are programmed to let previous experience dictate how we interface with a new experience; despite the new experiences independence on such previous experience.

I do love this; so I subscribe to each thread - I apologize for this some what random contribution, but I did find it interesting.

Happy Gaming!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
That is the first time I have ever seen that question come up. I liked it enough to comment.

However, it did spawn an interesting 'human' element. How often do we apply logic or other game mechanics to new experiences (or games) that in the given rule (or experience) really don't make any mention of such a mechanic? Its as though humans are programmed to let previous experience dictate how we interface with a new experience; despite the new experiences independence on such previous experience.

I do love this; so I subscribe to each thread - I apologize for this some what random contribution, but I did find it interesting.

Happy Gaming!


Of course it's human. Eagles fans logically had to come up with reasons why the team went bad this year, instead of just admitting that the team as a whole sucked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
RogalDorn wrote:
So the cites represent the physical copper lines that you run to a location. You've built the capacity to potentially supply that city with power. However, whether you can is dependent on the the size of the actual power source, ie the power plants you own.


It also depends on whether or not you want to power the cities or how many of them. The only penalty for not supplying any cities at all is economic, i.e. you don't earn as much income as you would have. There is a reason that the table includes the entry for powering zero cities. Admittedly it is fairly rare that you would not power any cities, however near then end of the game there are occasions where you may choose not to fire up a particular power plant and thus supply power to less cities than you could supply.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
it is fairly rare that you would not power any cities, however near then end of the game there are occasions where you may choose not to fire up a particular power plant and thus supply power to less cities than you could supply.


Even in mid-game, if you have just bought a new plant and not yet added a bunch of cities, you may be able to power most of your cities with two plants, then you have a 3-garbage plant that powers a bunch of cities, but only one unpowered city. The 3 garbage may cost more than the money you get for powering the extra city, so leaving it out may get you more money.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
There is a reason that the table includes the entry for powering zero cities.

Mostly because it's predecessor (Funkenschlag) had less starting money, higher bulding costs, and lower payouts. In that game, if you purchased a plant that could power two cities in the initial auction, you didn't have enough money left to build two cities and buy resources. You best move then would be two build (and supply) zero cities in the first turn, in order to be the first player to buy resources in the second turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.