Hide
24 Posts

Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: Please help me find this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mettle Engine
msg tools
Hi, This is my first post! I just found this site and I love it...I just returned to the world of boardgaming from a long hiatus, I'm not sure why I haven't played them for so long but am glad I have rediscovered them!

Please help me find a game that is set in reality(optional) that has different factions(races), tech trees, base building, elite super units, resource gathering, and diplomacy. Is this a tall order? One of the things I really want in this game is that you can play the Native Americans and build your empire to repel the colonists so then YOU take over the world. This is not the main objective but just a possible one.
Please help!

BTW I have looked through the game rankings and saw Age of Empires III...thought it would be perfect but I can't see if you can play as the Native Americans. Also looked at Civilization, which may be a good choice, but still not sure you can play the Native Americans.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank You!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marjoram
United States
Harbor City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back to the hobby!

This might not be the best game to recommend to someone returning to the hobby (it is big and long), but I think the game you are looking for is "7 Ages":
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3870/7-ages

On a smaller scale, you might also be interested in, Navajo Wars, a game Joel Toppen is designing for GMT:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/102435/navajo-wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The closest thing I can think of to what you described is Geronimo.

However, this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/878258/games-that-have-n... may be of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle Engine
msg tools
Wow the quickest replies EVER! Thanks for the recommendations I will check them out but by all means please keep the ideas coming in.

So am I right that you can't play the Native Americans in AoE and Civ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle Engine
msg tools
Guess I'm going to have to make my own game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mettle wrote:
Please help me find a game that is set in reality(optional) that has different factions(races), tech trees, base building, elite super units, resource gathering, and diplomacy. Is this a tall order?

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game has everything you ask for (except for the Native Americans).

The current civilizations are:

America, China, Egypt, Germany, Rome, Russia, and with the first expansion also Arabia, Greece, India, and Spain.

Quote:
One of the things I really want in this game is that you can play the Native Americans and build your empire to repel the colonists so then YOU take over the world. This is not the main objective but just a possible one.

You would probably like (at least in part) the roleplaying game Shadowrun (it's a cyberpunk roleplaying game, but the Native Americans play a big role in the history of the world there, which is set about 60 years into the future, and have taken over large parts of the US territory to form their own nations).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot of games out there that give Native Americans a starring role, to be honest. If you really want a game that gives Native Americans a chance to throw the colonists back into the Atlantic, you might want to glance at King Philip's War, which is a simulation of that vicious conflict.

It doesn't really hit any of your other criteria, I admit. What you might want to do, to practice your game creation skills, is to get Sid Meier's Civilization, play it a few times, and think about how you would create a Native American faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle Engine
msg tools
I really appreciate all the response here. Thank you all! Civ the board game looks like the closest game to my vision. All the other games are on my radar also.

Quote:
It doesn't really hit any of your other criteria, I admit. What you might want to do, to practice your game creation skills, is to get Sid Meier's Civilization, play it a few times, and think about how you would create a Native American faction.

This sounds like a very solid idea - I guess Civ is the gold standard for which all other base building/history/strategy games are compared to. I might start off making a game that is a bit simpler than a grand strategy game like Civ. but lessons learned from playing it can be invaluable I'm sure. It's tough to design a game, even if I take ideas from other games and meld them together to make my own vision

Other games that have the play style I believe I am searching for are Mage Knight and Clash of Cultures. They both have the fog of war aspect that I am trying to overcome without copying them too heavily. They both look like they have deep gameplay strategies and alot of miniatures! Something I am striving for! Thanks for replying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mettle wrote:
Guess I'm going to have to make my own game...
That's just not going to work since you noted that you have been away from the hobby for a long time. I would suggest playing some of the suggested games first and seeing where that takes you. Honestly, there are way too many new users coming on here and declaring that they are making the greatest game ever and I'm sure everyone knows how that will end.

Perhaps you could list some of the games that you previously played and enjoyed? Also, having a history of board gaming, perhaps you have an idea of what kind of game you are looking for and name soemthing that shares similarities with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle Engine
msg tools
I never said that the game I want to work on was going to be the latest and greatest ever.

Quote:
Honestly, there are way too many new users coming on here and declaring that they are making the greatest game ever and I'm sure everyone knows how that will end.

This is the type of comment that I would never tell someone who has aspirations of designing a board game, or anything for that matter, BUT your comment is 99.9% TRUE. The odds are really stacked against me but I am having fun trying to come up with ideas and implementing them into a game. So, I see it as a constructive use of my time doing so. I have full knowledge that what I am embarking on will probably not see store shelves. I just want to play a game that has all of the elements I like, not what someone eles likes.

There are addictive qualities of certain PC games that I am trying to harness and bring to the tabletop. I don't have much experience in the way of boardgaming but I have played A LOT of PC strategy games. RTS and turn-based games are big with me.

I just bought Talisman so I could play that with my 8 year old son, and he loves it! Please no flaming! I know the reputation that Talisman has with the community but we have fun with it! Mage Knight, Clash of Cultures, Mage Wars, and Civilization are all the "next level" of games I want to introduce my family to.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
My son and I on a great day out at Bovington Tank Museum. Happy memories...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back to the hobby!

Also, a very warm welcome to the BGG community

The vast majority of folk here will go out of their way to help and there's always someone to answer difficult rules questions.

You should also be warned, however, that there are a small group of grumpy, over-literalistic, negative and cynical folk who will always be on hand to pour cold water on your aspirations and to misinterpret your intentions.

That's life though isn't it? And how would we be able to gauge and enjoy the good if we didn't have the bad?

I hope that you'll be around here for a long, long time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mettle wrote:
I really appreciate all the response here. Thank you all! Civ the board game looks like the closest game to my vision. All the other games are on my radar also.

Quote:

This sounds like a very solid idea - I guess Civ is the gold standard for which all other base building/history/strategy games are compared to.

Well the original Civilization is the gold standard IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah if you say Civ/Civilization people will usually assume you mean the 1980 one. And calling that one a gold standard seems fair I think. Definitely no Native Americans in it though as it's about ancient history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you mean American Indians. Reply of games with Native Americans has been deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Clifford Brown & Max Roach at Basin Street || Lee Morgan: Search for the New Land || Art Blakey: Mosaic || Woody Shaw: The Woody Shaw Concert Ensemble
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mettle wrote:
Please help me find a game that is set in reality(optional) that has different factions(races), tech trees, base building, elite super units, resource gathering, and diplomacy. Is this a tall order? One of the things I really want in this game is that you can play the Native Americans and build your empire to repel the colonists so then YOU take over the world. This is not the main objective but just a possible one.
Please help!

I can think of a game that fits your description closely, but you'd have to get variant components printed to use Native Americans. The game is Age of Mythology: The Boardgame, which was published with Norse, Greek and Egyptian factions, but there are lots of fan-created factions in the game's Variants folder. Here are three that should interest you:

New Civ Project - AZTEC
New Civ Project - MAYAN
New Civ Project - CHEROKEE

The Aztecs appear to be ready to go; the others you'd have to complete yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle Engine
msg tools
Thank you all. I will look for Age of Mythology: The Boardgame. Maybe it will be worth buying. So many games out there that it's hard to commit to buy one with my hard earned money. I will be scouring the reviews and forums at BGG to get more ideas! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf Van Ishem
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Red Dragon Rising: The Coming War With China

It is a very clean and fun system to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Garlinghouse
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
History of the World has some of the aspects you are looking for. It doesn't allow any groups to take over the world, but it may give you some good ideas for your own design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ENEMY OF THE STATE

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mettle wrote:
One of the things I really want in this game is that you can play the Native Americans and build your empire to repel the colonists so then YOU take over the world. This is not the main objective but just a possible one.

I've done this on Sid Meier's Civilization PC game, but I've not seen a boardgame where this is possible. Have a look at 7 Ages, because there are a number of Native American civilisations included. Also, rather than designing a whole new game, you might consider crafting a variant for whatever existing civ game you decide you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Put simply, Dakota.

No super units, but a lot of everything else, even a very limted tech tree!

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both 7 Ages and Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery are excellent choices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mettle wrote:
Hi, This is my first post! I just found this site and I love it...I just returned to the world of boardgaming from a long hiatus, I'm not sure why I haven't played them for so long but am glad I have rediscovered them!

Please help!

BTW I have looked through the game rankings and saw Age of Empires III...thought it would be perfect but I can't see if you can play as the Native Americans. Also looked at Civilization, which may be a good choice, but still not sure you can play the Native Americans.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank You!

The game I know that I think most closely matches the criteria you have above is Space Empires: 4X. You said that reality is optional, as is playing Native Americans. The game does not have rules governing diplomacy, so that's missing but something you could certainly add in on your own. Everything else you ask for, the game has in ample quantity.

There is another game that many people like, Eclipse, that I like considerably less than SE but as I said many people love it. It would also meet those criteria as does SE, with less bookkeeping.

I have heard of another 4X game recently that supposedly adds in diplomacy. I believe it is Exodus: Proxima Centauri?

In any case, it sounds to me like what you want is a type of 4X games, many of which have already been listed here.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Kitimat
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a computer game called Conquest of the New World several years ago. You could play as the Native Americans and win. It was very difficult because you couldn't build artillery and your ships were limited in size. Still, it was possible to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.