Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I explore a "Totem Tile" in order to draw the Mystery cards needed for the victory conditions, must I roll the dice and achieve a "success" result before I can draw the cards?
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how many pawns you use, like in other explore actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
It depends on how many pawns you use, like in other explore actions.

So...if I send 2 pawns, I must roll and hope for the success symbol. If I send 3 pawns, I am automatically successful and merely draw the cards.
Thanks!
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the temple type, ash, and distance from camp.
Temple 1 and 2 with no ash: 2 to roll 3 to succeed.
Temple 3 and 4: 3 to roll 4 to succeed.
Temple with ash: 1 additional token.
Camp 2 tiles away: 1 additional token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not entirely correct.
As the tile with the Totem symbol can be any tile on the board, the number of Pawns you need depends on the location of the tile (in comparison to the camp), the different tokens AND at which time you explore the temple. Let me elaborate:

- tile is the camp tile or the one adjacent: 2 pawns for rolling dice, 3 pawns for secure action
- tile further away: +1 pawn per each additional tile of distance)
- dust marker: +1 pawn
- regular "-1 pawn" token: +1 pawn
- third or fourth temple that is explored (not discovered): +1 pawn

So if you explore the fourth temple on a tile one step further from the camp than directly adjacent, with a regular token and a dust marker on it, you would need 6 pawns for rolling the dice, and 7 pawns to be sure!!

Two things to add or clarify:
1. You can do actions further away from the camp than two spaces. As each tile on the board is at most 3 spaces away from the camp, you would (regularly) need at most 3 pawns for rolling dice, and 4 pawns for a secure action. Additional penalties notwithstanding, of course...
2. The numbers on the Totem symbols in this scenario are not placed when the tile is explored (and the symbol discovered), but when the temple is itself explored. This is an exception to the usual rule, namely that you place the number token when you discover such a symbol; an exception which can once again be found in the new "King Kong" scenario, albeit in different form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, wait — you mean you have to keep track of where each temple was found? Oh, shoot … I missed the fine print on the scenario sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you misunderstood, I guess.

In most scenarios, you get mostly either instant rewards, or mark a temple or a village with the number. You do that each time you place a tile with the Totem symbol.
Here, you just don't place the number token when you place the island tile. Instead, when one of your characters explores the first temple of the game (even if another one has already been discovered), that one is TEMPLE 1. The next one that is explored is TEMPLE 2.

Does that make it clearer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes it clear, but it doesn't make any sense to me. How can the type of temple change? I think It is a bigger challenge to face the option of exploring the easy temple and risk being consumed by lava, or decide to skip it to get ahead of the lava, but having to face a worse temple in a place safe from lava.
Scratching my head on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
botanybob wrote:
Depends on the temple type, ash, and distance from camp.
Temple 1 and 2 with no ash: 2 to roll 3 to succeed.
Temple 3 and 4: 3 to roll 4 to succeed.
Temple with ash: 1 additional token.
Camp 2 tiles away: 1 additional token.

Yes, thanks. My puzzlement was whether or not dice rolling was required for temple exploration. Since it is, all regular rules will apply.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in the two-player game will you not have to explore every temple, anyways (there are five tiles with Totem symbols, one of which is the starting tile). So (in 3- or 4-player games) if you place the numbers on the temples when you place the island tiles, the only difference is that you can choose WHEN to explore WHICH temple.

I am guessing it has something to do with balancing the scenario, but frankly, I don't know. It is just the answer that I have gotten from Ignacy while talking about this scenario, and I have relayed it to y'all.

However, I will try to find out why this exception is implemented here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
No, you misunderstood, I guess.

In most scenarios, you get mostly either instant rewards, or mark a temple or a village with the number. You do that each time you place a tile with the Totem symbol.
Here, you just don't place the number token when you place the island tile. Instead, when one of your characters explores the first temple of the game (even if another one has already been discovered), that one is TEMPLE 1. The next one that is explored is TEMPLE 2.

Does that make it clearer?

That actually makes it more confusing. Here's the fine print on the scenario I was referring to:

Quote:
All these Exploration Actions should be taken on the corresponding tile.

It doesn't actually define "corresponding tile", but page 18 of the rules says:

Quote:
8. Totem icon meaning
Each time you explore an Island tile with such icon, check it’s meaning here. Sometimes it is an instant effect while in some Scenarios it gives players an opportunity to take a certain Action on the Island tile with this Totem.

That makes me think that the "corresponding tile" is the tile with the specific totem matching the totem number on the scenario sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, this scenario's handling of the number tokens in conjunction with the Totem symbols is deemed an exception by the author.
Now, I don't say this to belittle you, or something.

At the moment, I am in the process of reworking the card and sheet texts, and to debate all questions, irregularities or exceptions that have either been discovered by me, or been asked on this very forum, with the author personally.
This is due to the fact that I am working on the German publication by Pegasus games.

And in this process the very scenario mentioned here came up, and he explained this exception in detail to me. I was (and still am a little) surprised at this, too.

Now, you don't have to take my word for it. I'll mention this thread to Ignacy tomorrow (hoping I'll reach him then), and I guess he will be chiming in, soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Dumon I'm glad you are helping.

Too many head scratchers in this game.

Very very cool game, but it feels very beta test-ish in it's current state.

Hope your changes make it to the Z-man version as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.